5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding Sound from Rear End During Low-speed Take-off

bpwj76

Reaction score
Yesterday, I noticed for the first time a grinding sound/feeling coming from the rear end during low speed take-off and turning either right or left. It does NOT happen when taking off in a straight line. It feels like traction control kicking in and sounds like that too from inside the truck. There is a noise on the outside when it happens too. Again, sounds like traction control or ABS on the outside. I can also feel it in the floor of the truck when it happens. There are no warning lights on. I would just take it to a dealer, but I'm pretty far away from home on vacation (in Savannah, GA and I live in NE Louisiana). Towed our TT here, so I am a little worried about towing with it at this point.

I have about 24k miles on it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Anyone have any ideas what it might be? I thank you all in advance and apologize in advance if this is a commonly discussed issue and I missed it somewhere.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any chance you can post a vid with sound here?

bpwj76

Reaction score
Any chance you can post a vid with sound here?
Yeah, I'm going to try to get a video today. Wanted to yesterday, but couldn't find a good place to pull over and do it.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Just got back from a RAM dealer in Savannah and a they were gracious enough to go grab a technician to ride with me and listen to my issue. The two of us were able to determine that it is only coming from the driver's side rear wheel area and not the diff. He thinks it is related to the brake somehow, but without putting it on the rack and taking it apart he couldn't be sure. He said it shouldn't be a problem making the trip back home where I can make an appointment with my dealer to have it looked at.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the sane issue - grinding noise coming from the back when making right hand turns at lower speeds. Took it to the dealer and of course they could not replicate it. I will be taking it back and having them ride with me this time...but I think you should be fine on your trip. I have been dealing with this for a few months now and have not noticed any real issue to be concerned with.

bpwj76

Reaction score
The truck has been at the dealer since Monday morning. I played the video for the service advisor and she heard it. She also said when the tech drove it they were able to hear it. They are working with Chrysler/FCA/Stellantis or whatever the heck now on the process of elimination. They are thinking it's either transmission or driveshaft related. The dealer has been instructed to remove a driveshaft from a truck on their lot and install it on my truck to see if that solves the issue. If not, they will move on to the next step. Whatever that is.

I2R

Reaction score
Yesterday, I noticed for the first time a grinding sound/feeling coming from the rear end during low speed take-off and turning either right or left. It does NOT happen when taking off in a straight line. It feels like traction control kicking in and sounds like that too from inside the truck. There is a noise on the outside when it happens too. Again, sounds like traction control or ABS on the outside. I can also feel it in the floor of the truck when it happens. There are no warning lights on. I would just take it to a dealer, but I'm pretty far away from home on vacation (in Savannah, GA and I live in NE Louisiana). Towed our TT here, so I am a little worried about towing with it at this point.

I have about 24k miles on it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Anyone have any ideas what it might be? I thank you all in advance and apologize in advance if this is a commonly discussed issue and I missed it somewhere.
I have a similar condition when backing up a hill and turning. Sounds like the anti lock is kicking in

bpwj76

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the service department and she said they are having a "star case" discussion on my truck now. Whatever that means. They are discussing whether or not an inspector is going to come out and look at it. What??? They have to have a conversation about whether or not someone is going to look at my truck to determine what the problem is? They don't have qualified people at the dealership to make those determinations? They can't diagnose a problem on their own and fix it? They've had my truck for a week now and it doesn't seem like they've mad any progress at all.

bpwj76

Reaction score
I have the sane issue - grinding noise coming from the back when making right hand turns at lower speeds. Took it to the dealer and of course they could not replicate it. I will be taking it back and having them ride with me this time...but I think you should be fine on your trip. I have been dealing with this for a few months now and have not noticed any real issue to be concerned with.
Have you taken yours back to the dealer yet?

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you taken yours back to the dealer yet?
Not yet but I plan on calling them tomorrow. Tried calling today and nobody picked up and got too busy at work to call back. Everybody who rides with me hears it...kind of embarrassing more than anything.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Not yet but I plan on calling them tomorrow. Tried calling today and nobody picked up and got too busy at work to call back. Everybody who rides with me hears it...kind of embarrassing more than anything.
Man, that sounds like my dealer. Sometimes when I call, they transfer me to service but nobody answers the phone. Every update I've gotten on my truck has been initiated by me. They NEVER call me. I hope I can get some kind of useful information that you can use before you take yours in.

bpwj76

Reaction score
To the two people (besides me) interested in this issue :p. The dealer opened the diff and inspected it and everything looked good. No metal shavings or anything out of the ordinary. They drained and replaced the diff fluid and added 2 qts of "limited slip". I'm guessing that is the friction modifier. The noise is gone. Problem solved.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I finally got mine back in to the dealer today...crazy schedule last couple of weeks...and they are telling me the issue is coming from a bad rear well liner. Something about it rubbing when the truck gets to a certain radius. I find that curious since the rear wheels do not turn. I will let them replace the liners but keep the diff fluid in mind if that does not solve the issue.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Well, here we go again with the griding sound. Just 5k miles after having the diff fluid changed, the noise is starting again. Scheduled maintenace says to change rear diff fluid at 30k miles if towing frequently. I paid for the early diff fluid change at ~25k miles (close enough to 30k) back in June, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for another one after only 5k miles (I'm at 30k miles now).

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, here we go again with the griding sound. Just 5k miles after having the diff fluid changed, the noise is starting again. Scheduled maintenace says to change rear diff fluid at 30k miles if towing frequently. I paid for the early diff fluid change at ~25k miles (close enough to 30k) back in June, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay for another one after only 5k miles (I'm at 30k miles now).
This might not be the best, but I’d have them open the diff again, and if they see nothing, have them replace the fluid (on them, 2.5 qts of gear oil, 5 oz of limited slip friction modifier). If the noise goes away, that’s telling.

And if it comes back, try to force them to replace the diff. If they will not, hhave them do the gear oil a third time. If it comes back again, imitate a Lemon Law buyback case. At that point, they’ll take the problem seriously.

I wish it wasn’t so, but afraid that’s what it takes these days to get such issues fixed correctly.

bpwj76

Reaction score
This might not be the best, but I’d have them open the diff again, and if they see nothing, have them replace the fluid (on them, 2.5 qts of gear oil, 5 oz of limited slip friction modifier). If the noise goes away, that’s telling.

And if it comes back, try to force them to replace the diff. If they will not, hhave them do the gear oil a third time. If it comes back again, imitate a Lemon Law buyback case. At that point, they’ll take the problem seriously.

I wish it wasn’t so, but afraid that’s what it takes these days to get such issues fixed correctly.
Yeah, I totally agree with all that.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Got an update late Friday afternoon. They are replacing the entire rear axle assembly on my truck. Supposed to start working on it today and they told me it would be done by the end of the day tomorrow.

Reactions: cj7

bpwj76

Reaction score
So the parts didn't arrive until today. They are telling me now that they aren't replacing the whole axle assembly. Just the carrier bearings. The SA also said the tech told her that my Airlift 1000 airbags would normally alter my warranty. But I guess they are going to "look the other way". Has anyone else been told that airbags would "alter" their warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread