5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding noise during slow turns (occasionally)

Aaron83

Reaction score
Hey all, new Ram 1500 owner here. Actually, first time truck owner too!

Question, and maybe its been addressed before, but I'm occasionally hearing a grinding noise while making slow turns. I purchased a used 2019 RAM 1500 Limited 4x4 a few months ago, and this noise has been intermittent since day 1. I read on some forums it could be the differential? Or maybe the backing plate rubbing the rotors? I'll be changing the diff fluid this weekend to see if that helps anything. The noise "sounds" like its coming from my front driver-side wheel. And it occurs before the wheel is ever fully turned. Most of the time during a 1/4 or 1/2 turn of the wheel. Below is a link to a quick clip from my dash cam. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I has similar noise and it turned out to bottom back corner of wheel well liner was rubbing when fully turned was rubbing on tire. I just had to bend the liner back to correct issue

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Ram4Lou

Reaction score
Hey all, new Ram 1500 owner here. Actually, first time truck owner too!

Question, and maybe its been addressed before, but I'm occasionally hearing a grinding noise while making slow turns. I purchased a used 2019 RAM 1500 Limited 4x4 a few months ago, and this noise has been intermittent since day 1. I read on some forums it could be the differential? Or maybe the backing plate rubbing the rotors? I'll be changing the diff fluid this weekend to see if that helps anything. The noise "sounds" like its coming from my front driver-side wheel. And it occurs before the wheel is ever fully turned. Most of the time during a 1/4 or 1/2 turn of the wheel. Below is a link to a quick clip from my dash cam. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

There is a TSB for this. Dealer needs to perform software update to correct problem. Many of us here had the exact issue. Simple fix and you don’t have to replicate the problem for the dealer. Just tell them the issue and they will reprogram in less than 30 minutes. TSB 08-137-21

Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yup. Have your dealer do the TSB. It fixed mine

Users who are viewing this thread