5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grinding noise after turning truck off - need help locating it

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think so, because I don't always hear it. However, I often am not waiting around to see if it happens every time.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
does it sound like an acuator
motor? i hear it all the time after i shut her down and pump gas comes on 2
or 3 minutes later coming
from underneath area near drivers side back tire, all normal
noise dont sweat it if this is what your hearing..

d19r93

Reaction score
Mind does this. It's the rear brake engaging and disengaging. I thought it was odd, but to test the theory, I put the parking brake on when I pull into the garage. When I put the parking brake on, it doesn't do it ever (over the course of 2 weeks). When I started leaving the parking brake off, it started again. The noise has changed over time, which would be indicative that it's changing with the brake pad life.

That was my conclusion. My dealer had no clue.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It kind of sounds like that, which was my first theory
Mind does this. It's the rear brake engaging and disengaging. I thought it was odd, but to test the theory, I put the parking brake on when I pull into the garage. When I put the parking brake on, it doesn't do it ever (over the course of 2 weeks). When I started leaving the parking brake off, it started again. The noise has changed over time, which would be indicative that it's changing with the brake pad life.

That was my conclusion. My dealer had no clue.
Sounds similar to mine. I thought we could turn off the “auto park brake” option but can’t seem to find it.

d19r93

Reaction score
It kind of sounds like that, which was my first theory

Sounds similar to mine. I thought we could turn off the “auto park brake” option but can’t seem to find it.
I believe it's under the "engine off options"

wvinson

Reaction score
again, electric park brake. It's not the auto park engage feature. Under certain circumstances, it engages automatically and when u crank up next time, it auto disengages.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
never intentionally, but I’ve triggered it before
A friend had his truck backed into at a parking lot and broke the parking pawl. Shop that fixed the transmission told him if he’d set his parking brake there would’ve been no damage to the trans. He always sets his parking brake now. A parking pawl is very small for the amount of work it has to do.

Plus using the parking brake regularly keeps it in good working order for its other important job as the emergency brake. A brake pedal on the floor is not the time to find out it’s seized from lack of use and maintenance.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wonder how to tell if the park break is engaged when I put it in park. Would the light be on ?

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I wonder if auto park brake is a/the reason for brake moan. Hard to avoid unless you service calipers every other week.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just checked mine. When I put it in park, the e brake light does not light up. Tried it multiple times. Not sure if I don't have the feature, or it's just off. The only option I've seen in the uconnect screen is the brake when backing up with the door open. That one I have disabled.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Yep! An actuator that is protesting a little, maybe like a worn motor or it is being overworked with some resistance.

could just be the sound it makes. Haven’t had it happen in a few weeks.

e brake is off.

Louhound88

Reaction score
That's the brake making that sound? For some reason I thought it was like the fuel pump shutting off or something.

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's the brake making that sound? For some reason I thought it was like the fuel pump shutting off or something.

Right … Most agree that’s what it is, but many off us have turned the auto e-brake function “off” in Uconnect, and it still does it ….. Maybe Uconnect not turning it off correctly …. God knows it can’t save my stations presets for more than a month, so why would I think it could handle a brake function correctly …. Sorry, mini rant over …..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Louhound88

Reaction score
Right … Most agree that’s what it is, but many off us have turned the auto e-brake function “off” in Uconnect, and it still does it ….. Maybe Uconnect not turning it off correctly …. God knows it can’t save my stations presets for more than a month, so why would I think it could handle a brake function correctly …. Sorry, mini rant over …..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha. Yeah I turned off the e-brake after the first time it slammed my truck into park when backing into a parking spot and the sensors saw a shadow. Felt like my engine seized up.

Users who are viewing this thread