5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green high performance air filter

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
But the intake flows better than factory. You said more flow doesn't make a difference just like thr filter flows better than the stock filter. The only real difference from the stock intake and JLT is the size of the filter. I did this purely for experiment though. Wasn't expecting actual gains of course I'm sure there's some.
Still comparing apples to oranges. You replaced the whole intake/air box assembly. Not just a drop in filter.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So better flow makes a difference then?
I see what you are trying to do, but it's still an apples to oranges comparison. Wide open throttle on a dyno isn't daily driving. And peak HP increase doesn't always mean MPG increase. Quoting peak dyno numbers are good for bragging , but aren't a good indication of actual performance.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But the intake flows better than factory. You said more flow doesn't make a difference just like thr filter flows better than the stock filter. The only real difference from the stock intake and JLT is the size of the filter. I did this purely for experiment though. Wasn't expecting actual gains of course I'm sure there's some.

You act as if the filter pushes air into the intake so a less restrictive filter will just push more air, but that is not how it works. It makes no difference whatsoever if an aftermarket "flows better than factory" as long as the factory filter flows enough to meet the demands of the engine. The capability for higher air flow is wasted because it is not needed or used. All you accomplish is allowing more dirt into your engine.

Oldphart

Reaction score
There was a test done on a hellcat, they compared CFM with a

CFM readings say these filters have a higher flow rate than a factory one though.

Why do you keep moving the goalposts? Now it's a FI engine vs N/A.

I'm going to say what many of us must be thinking: Do you own the company that manufacturers it or do you just get a piece of the action?

gomango392

Reaction score
You act as if the filter pushes air into the intake so a less restrictive filter will just push more air, but that is not how it works. It makes no difference whatsoever if an aftermarket "flows better than factory" as long as the factory filter flows enough to meet the demands of the engine. The capability for higher air flow is wasted because it is not needed or used. All you accomplish is allowing more dirt into your enengine.
Well, it sucks air, it doesn't push it. It's one big vacuum. And I'm curious if anyone thats ran a drop in filter had any failures due to more dirt. It supposedly has the same micron rating as the oem filter

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, it sucks air, it doesn't push it. It's one big vacuum. And I'm curious if anyone thats ran a drop in filter had any failures due to more dirt. It supposedly has the same micron rating as the oem filter

Wrong again. A filter does not suck or push air. It simply sits there and allows air demanded by the engine to flow through it. The OEM filter is designed to allow all the air the unmodified 5.7 engine requests. Therefore, you will see no benefit in replacing it with a less restrictive filter.

Also, it's established fact that high flow air filters allow more dirt to pass.

You are being manipulated by marketing hype indented to pull money out of your wallet.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP could of just said he wanted a reusable washable filter and ended this conversation on the first page. 😩

gomango392

Reaction score
Wrong again. A filter does not suck or push air. It simply sits there and allows air demanded by the engine to flow through it. The OEM filter is designed to allow all the air the unmodified 5.7 engine requests. Therefore, you will see no benefit in replacing it with a less restrictive filter.

Also, it's established fact that high flow air filters allow more dirt to pass.

You are being manipulated by marketing hype indented to pull money out of your wallet.
You're wrong, the engine is one big vacuum. It sucks air. And it costs 20 dollars more than the oem filter and it's reusable. But curious if you have anything showing that it has a less micron rating vs an oem? Or is it just based on what you've read before? Any personal experiences with engine failure because of it?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope skipped that part cause it turned into a big back and forth over the usual egos we have around here and who's right and who’s wrong.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nope skipped that part cause it turned into a big back and forth over the usual egos we have around here and who's right and who’s wrong.
It's turned into marketing pitch vs reality. Which one you want to believe is up to you.

It actually started off pretty good. OP was honest with his review and opinion. Then @CogitoErgoLevo itoergolevo jumped in with some made up BS and that's where it started going downhill. Not sure why OP suddenly flipped his script and started in the the sales pitches after that

Last edited:

gomango392

Reaction score
That's not me. Just sharing my experience. It's all in the original post. You cared enough to read through the thread but not the original part. Makes sense lol

gomango392

Reaction score
It's turned into marketing pitch vs reality. Which one you want to believe is up to you.

It actually started off pretty good. OP was honest with his review and opinion. Then @CogitoErgoLevo itoergolevo jumped in with some made up BS and that's where it started going downhill. Not sure why OP suddenly flipped his script and started in the the sales pitches after that
I was just giving an honest review and everyone who's probably never ran anything but stock jumped down my throat lol. I couldn't give less of a **** who runs what or who buys what.

And no I'm not someone that believes you gain noticeable horsepower with snake oil mods. There's an argument to be made on both sides. There's dyno results of drop ins improving hp over stock but honestly it's not why I made the post. It was just something I wanted to try and see if there was any difference and figure I'd report back incase anyone else was wondering. I think it's a solid option over an oem filter. These trucks don't benefit from a cai since the stock intake is actually extremely efficient so might as well throw in a better/reusable filter. It's about the best option you can go with for these trucks. Stock intake paired with a good filter. But opinions are like *******s, you know the rest 😁

Also there's lots of misconception of these sucking more dirt in, it's an oiled filter made to trap dirt, if you let it go dry and don't maintain it, then they're correct. But that's not what I would do so that doesn't apply to me. Heck even the owner of Moe's performance says the best thing you can do to these trucks is leave the stock intake and add a drop in.

Last edited:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You may need to take your own advice bud

I've not misunderstood a single word you said.

I stated the fact that, "A filter does not suck or push air. It simply sits there and allows air demanded by the engine to flow through it."

You replied, "You're wrong, the engine is one big vacuum. It sucks air." What do you think "air demanded by the engine" means? THINK HARDER.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was just giving an honest review and everyone who's probably never ran anything but stock jumped down my throat lol. I couldn't give less of a **** who runs what or who buys what.

And no I'm not someone that believes you gain noticeable horsepower with snake oil mods. There's an argument to be made on both sides. There's dyno results of drop ins improving hp over stock but honestly it's not why I made the post. It was just something I wanted to try and see if there was any difference and figure I'd report back incase anyone else was wondering. I think it's a solid option over an oem filter. These trucks don't benefit from a cai since the stock intake is actually extremely efficient so might as well throw in a better/reusable filter. It's about the best option you can go with for these trucks. Stock intake paired with a good filter. But opinions are like *******s, you know the rest 😁

Also there's lots of misconception of these sucking more dirt in, it's an oiled filter made to trap dirt, if you let it go dry and don't maintain it, then they're correct. But that's not what I would do so that doesn't apply to me. Heck even the owner of Moe's performance says the best thing you can do to these trucks is leave the stock intake and add a drop in.
It's been proven that oiled filters like the K&N don't trap as much dirt as a paper filter, until they get real dirty, a which point owners clean them and re-oil opening the holes back up. Without increasing the size of the filter, you can't have better flow without reducing filtering ability. It's just not possible. Now, how much that reduced filtering effects long term engine performance is questionable, and very debatable. There are people with hundreds of thousands of miles running "high performance" oiled filters that have no measurable decrease in engine life.

gomango392

Reaction score
I've not misunderstood a single word you said.

I stated the fact that, "A filter does not suck or push air. It simply sits there and allows air demanded by the engine to flow through it."

You replied, "You're wrong, the engine is one big vacuum. It sucks air." What do you think "air demanded by the engine" means? THINK HARDER.
We both stated the obvious lol you said a filter doesn't push or suck air. Well no ****, nobody said it does so idk where you got that from anyways. And then I said engines only suck air (one big vacuum). So not sure why your panties are wadded up.

Last edited:

gomango392

Reaction score
It's been proven that oiled filters like the K&N don't trap as much dirt as a paper filter, until they get real dirty, a which point owners clean them and re-oil opening the holes back up. Without increasing the size of the filter, you can't have better flow without reducing filtering ability. It's just not possible. Now, how much that reduced filtering effects long term engine performance is questionable, and very debatable. There are people with hundreds of thousands of miles running "high performance" oiled filters that have no measurable decrease in engine life.
So this may be a surprise to some but the whole idea behind an oiled filter is the ability to have more flow and keep the filtration the same via the oil. So unless you neglect it, there is in no way shape or form it will harm the engine. And nobody on here can provide any insight on it other than just saying it because it's what they've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread