5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green high performance air filter

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this may be a surprise to some but the whole idea behind an oiled filter is the ability to have more flow and keep the filtration the same via the oil. So unless you neglect it, there is in no way shape or form it will harm the engine. And nobody on here can provide any insight on it other than just saying it because it's what they've heard.
Oiled is not worth the hassle for the minimum performance over dry performance filter. Also if not cleaned and oiled properly and even then, oiled does let dirt pass.

" Generally, high-performance dry filters can catch up to 99% of the incoming contaminants due to the smaller micron size of the filter media, while oiled filters catch about 98% of what passes through - a minute difference, but a difference none-the-less. "

Minimal, but why even bother. I would never run oiled because it's not worth it. I stick with dry re-useable.

I'm sure someone will dispute this as many on here like to dispute until the post ends or their ignored :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Have a great evening!!

gomango392

Reaction score
Oiled is not worth the hassle for the minimum performance over dry performance filter. Also if not cleaned and oiled properly and even then, oiled does let dirt pass.

" Generally, high-performance dry filters can catch up to 99% of the incoming contaminants due to the smaller micron size of the filter media, while oiled filters catch about 98% of what passes through - a minute difference, but a difference none-the-less. "

Minimal, but why even bother. I would never run oiled because it's not worth it. I stick with dry re-useable.

I'm sure someone will dispute this as many on here like to dispute until the post ends or their ignored :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Have a great evening!!
Which dry reusable one? The AEM is a pretty popular option. Also, oddly enough, that article basically told everyone in here they're wrong. The end says "The difference in real-world performance between a dry and oiled filter can sometimes be very small, but what it comes down to is the type of driver you are, and the type of environment you are driving in. When you're trying to shave the 1/100 of a second off your lap time, every ounce of power helps". Which tells me they do something. So who's right and who's wrong here 😂

Last edited:

gomango392

Reaction score
I've used that and AFE, when I had the S&B intake I went dry as well from them on my 4th Gen.
Nice, yeah I have no issues with oiled ones. Been running an oiled filter on my JLT on my charger for years with no issues. I clean it and oil it and it's been fine. Still looks like the day I installed it. The filter is like 80 bucks vs a total of 20 minutes of my time between cleaning it and oiling it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Which dry reusable one? The AEM is a pretty popular option. Also, oddly enough, that article basically told everyone in here they're wrong. The end says "The difference in real-world performance between a dry and oiled filter can sometimes be very small, but what it comes down to is the type of driver you are, and the type of environment you are driving in. When you're trying to shave the 1/100 of a second off your lap time, every ounce of power helps". Which tells me they do something. So who's right and who's wrong here 😂
Different vehicles will have different results.

And it's been proven in study after study that oiled filters allow more particles through than dry filters. There's nothing to argue with that. But, as I already stated, there really isn't any quantifiable evidence that it caused any damage to the engine long term

gomango392

Reaction score
Different vehicles will have different results.

And it's been proven in study after study that oiled filters allow more particles through than dry filters. There's nothing to argue with that. But, as I already stated, there really isn't any quantifiable evidence that it caused any damage to the engine long term
Yeah that's what I was trying to find out. I think it's a preference thing. I don't believe any choice is an incorrect choice, and nobody has personally experience or insight so it's just a typical great debate on the internet😂

Users who are viewing this thread