5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green high performance air filter

Gren71

Reaction score
The factory paper filter will allow all the airflow a stock engine demands under any condition. There is no way changing an air filter will improve MPG by 1 - 1.5 mpg.
I %100 agree. I just enjoy a good experiment 🤷‍♂️ I anticipate little to no difference outside of MAYBE a short lived change in sound or something. Like the CAIs on these new engines, the computer will adjust fire and keep running how it wants to.

Last edited:

gomango392

Reaction score
I %100 agree. I just enjoy a good experiment 🤷‍♂️ I anticipate little to no difference outside of MAYBE a short lived change in sound or something. Like the CAIs on these new engines, the computer will adjust fire and keep running how it wants to.
Me too, that's why I got it. But there is certainly no denying that it improved throttle response. My trucks throttle response is so bad, that you WILL notice any improvement even if it's minor. Also instead of paying 40 dollars for an oem filter every year, I pay 0 dollars and just keep this one cleaned and maintained

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
I have 1+mpg improvement since i swapped to k&n high flow drop in filter.
It is expected to get an mpg improvement when switching to a higher flow air filter because it helps reduce pumping losses on the intake side, thus increasing mpg.
MDS is based on same concept, by shutting off 4 cylinders, they reduce pumping losses (even though engine produces same power on 4 cylinders at that time) which increases fuel economy...
Going from oem filter to any higher flow filter will increase fuel economy. By how much?
It will depend on how less restrictive they are.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It is expected to get an mpg improvement when switching to a higher flow air filter because it helps reduce pumping losses on the intake side, thus increasing mpg.
MDS is based on same concept, by shutting off 4 cylinders, they reduce pumping losses (even though engine produces same power on 4 cylinders at that time) which increases fuel economy...
Going from oem filter to any higher flow filter will increase fuel economy. By how much?
It will depend on how less restrictive they are.
That's not how it works. If there is enough of a restriction when cruising that you increase your MPG from just a filter swap then you should be picking up significant amount of power at full throttle, which doesn't happen.

MDS increases MPG because instead of needing fuel for 8 cylinders, you are only injecting fuel into 4. The MDS lifters keep the valves open so there is no resistance from trying to compress the air in that is in the dead cylinders.

gomango392

Reaction score
The laws of physics are not on your side here.
Just do some research first and come back later
Literally. Less restriction will always net some type of gain. You can't argue with science. Same idea with nice dense cold air, you'll always make more power on a 35 degree day vs a 95 degree day stock or not. Of course, the difference is extremely small, it's still a difference

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Literally. Less restriction will always net some type of gain. You can't argue with science. Same idea with nice dense cold air, you'll always make more power on a 35 degree day vs a 95 degree day stock or not. Of course, the difference is extremely small, it's still a difference
Yes, at WOT. Part throttle, closed loop operation, there isn't anything to be gained over the factory set up. You can scream physics at the top of your lungs, but that doesn't over rule PCM tuning.

gomango392

Reaction score
Yes, at WOT. Part throttle, closed loop operation, there isn't anything to be gained over the factory set up. You can scream physics at the top of your lungs, but that doesn't over rule PCM tuning.
Pcm tuning adjusts though, it's adjusting to more air flow just like it's adjusting to dumping more fuel when it's cold out!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Pcm tuning adjusts though, it's adjusting to more air flow just like it's adjusting to dumping more fuel when it's cold out!
There isn't "more air" at part throttle though. Especially when cruising on the highway. The throttle body is a valve that controls the airflow.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Wrong. A lower restriction filter will offer no gain at all when you are replacing a filter designed meet all air intake demands of the particular application.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There is no chance this is true. If a higher flow filter would increase Ram fuel economy by over 1 mpg, they would come from the factory in every truck. There is no restriction in the paper factory filter. The factory system will pass all the air the engine demands under all driving conditions.

gomango392

Reaction score
There isn't "more air" at part throttle though. Especially when cruising on the highway. The throttle body is a valve that controls the airflow.
There was a test done on a hellcat, they compared CFM with a
There is no chance this is true. If a higher flow filter would increase Ram fuel economy by over 1 mpg, they would come from the factory in every truck. There is no restriction in the paper factory filter. The factory system will pass all the air the engine demands under all driving conditions.
CFM readings say these filters have a higher flow rate than a factory one though.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
CFM readings say these filters have a higher flow rate than a factory one though.

That makes no difference whatsoever if the factory filter allows all the airflow demanded by the engine as they are designed to do.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There was a test done on a hellcat, they compared CFM with a

Comparing a supercharged engine to a N/A engine is an apples to oranges comparison. Your N/A engine doesn't have a supercharger trying to force more air into the cylinders than the engine needs to run

The the ability for a filter to allow more airflow doesn't mean the engine is going to suck in more air than it needs.

gomango392

Reaction score
That makes no difference whatsoever if the factory filter allows all the airflow demanded by the engine as they are designed to do.
Well you said there's no restriction but if it has a lower cfm then it has more restriction 😁

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well you said there's no restriction but if it has a lower cfm then it has more restriction 😁
If the factory filter can flow 1000cfm but the engine only needs 500cfm there is no restriction.

If an aftermarket filter does 1500cfm, the engine still only needs 500cfm.

Numbers made up.

gomango392

Reaction score
If the factory filter can flow 1000cfm but the engine only needs 500cfm there is no restriction.

If an aftermarket filter does 1500cfm, the engine still only needs 500cfm.

Numbers made up.
Eh maybe so, my 392 with an intake made 8 more rwhp more than the factory intake. So I think more CFM does something

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Wrong yet again. If the factory filter allows all the air the engine demands then there is no restriction. You are being manipulated by marketing hype.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Eh maybe so, my 392 with an intake made 8 more rwhp more than the factory intake. So I think more CFM does something
Open loop WOT Dyno run, and closed loop part throttle cruising, when you are doing MPG readings are completely different things. About as bad of a analogy as using Hellcat tests to show how a N/A engine will react to same mod. Plus we are talking drop in filters, not complete intakes.

gomango392

Reaction score
Open loop WOT Dyno run, and closed loop part throttle cruising, when you are doing MPG readings are completely different things. About as bad of a analogy as using Hellcat tests to show how a N/A engine will react to same mod. Plus we are talking drop in filters, not complete intakes.
But the intake flows better than factory. You said more flow doesn't make a difference just like thr filter flows better than the stock filter. The only real difference from the stock intake and JLT is the size of the filter. I did this purely for experiment though. Wasn't expecting actual gains of course I'm sure there's some.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread