5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great truck. Crap infotainment system.

DodgerDan75

Reaction score
I’m sure it’s been asked before in here but what is the deal with the radio presets getting wiped out along with the rear view camera not working sometimes. I find this usually happens when making quick stops at gas stations or concurrence stores where you shut the engine off and restart it again after just a few minutes. It’s Higley annoying though. I don’t have the big fancy system in my truck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Mine did that twice and I was able to narrow it down to when I changed the seat presets while in an area with intermittent sirius coverage.
To be specific, when i changed from seat preset 1 to 2 while running through the automatic car wash which caused a drop in signal. When I came out the other side and regained signal, all my presets were wiped. I was able to reproduce the issue but now that I'm aware, it hasn't again in over 2 years.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I’m sure it’s been asked before in here but what is the deal with the radio presets getting wiped out along with the rear view camera not working sometimes. I find this usually happens when making quick stops at gas stations or concurrence stores where you shut the engine off and restart it again after just a few minutes. It’s Higley annoying though. I don’t have the big fancy system in my truck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
read this thread

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Never had this issue on my 2020 BTS with 12" display

JBV

Reaction score
this system makes me insane. presets erased, or swapped, or dropped, mixed almost daily. sometimes the volume button doesn't work. sometimes it works on the dash, but not the steering wheel. sometimes the scan button on the wheel doesn't work. when it works well, it's great. but it keeps me guessing constantly and is a source of endless confusion and frustration. i don't get it. dealer basically shrugs shoulders. it's all all a great mystery and no body knows a thing.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed if I adjust the balance and fade, once out of that screen, it reverts back to default. :rolleyes:

JBV

Reaction score
Same here, haven’t brought it to the dealer yet kind of waiting for some more definite info as to whether Ram has a fix for it

i call them once a month or so to ask if anyone knows anything about this system and if a fix is going to happen. shortly after i got the truck they said 'Ram knows, a fix is coming', but since that time, nope, haven't heard anything, no clue, etc. the mystery remains.

Rebond

Reaction score
I've had my 2022 Ram Bighorn Night Edition 1500 for about 6 months now and have similar issues.

I not only lose my presets, but my backup camera works when it wants and I completely lose all my shortcuts. They just disappear and engine restarts don't do anything. The only thing that works is a system reset. That works for a day or so and then it forgets everything again.

The UConnect 5 was much more responsive when new too. It seems to take forever to boot up now, especially after sitting all night. Probably from them uploading my driving data, because I'm sure they don't track everywhere we go. I bet if I missed a truck payment the software to shut it down would work splendidly though!

It's frustrating when you have to call the dealer and their only answer is to bring it in.

I actually thought after years of the 8.4 these kind of issues would be sorted out by now, so I think it's simply the new UConnect 5 software.

rbundy84

Reaction score
I've had my 2022 Ram Bighorn Night Edition 1500 for about 6 months now and have similar issues.

I not only lose my presets, but my backup camera works when it wants and I completely lose all my shortcuts. They just disappear and engine restarts don't do anything. The only thing that works is a system reset. That works for a day or so and then it forgets everything again.

The UConnect 5 was much more responsive when new too. It seems to take forever to boot up now, especially after sitting all night. Probably from them uploading my driving data, because I'm sure they don't track everywhere we go. I bet if I missed a truck payment the software to shut it down would work splendidly though!

It's frustrating when you have to call the dealer and their only answer is to bring it in.

I actually thought after years of the 8.4 these kind of issues would be sorted out by now, so I think it's simply the new UConnect 5 software.
I’m in talks to purchase a 2022 BH…are you still having issues? I’m not really a fan of spending $50k+ on a vehicle with radio issues…

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in talks to purchase a 2022 BH…are you still having issues? I’m not really a fan of spending $50k+ on a vehicle with radio issues…
There are still first year bugs with Uconnect5

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Does this affect all platforms or just 8.4 non-nav?
All UC5 radios. Software/hardware will be awesome if they ever get it working the way its supposed to. It has gotten somewhat better since its release in the Ram back in October I’ll give them that. There have been many updates. Wireless carplay has seen the most improvement but there are still other glitches and some seem like they should be so simple to fix. Looking at other manufacturer forums and having friends work at different dealers many are struggling with the onset of all the new technology in their vehicles. Cellphone connectivity seems to be the one thing all have trouble with which makes sense since there are million variables at play.

rbundy84

Reaction score
All UC5 radios. Software/hardware will be awesome if they ever get it working the way its supposed to. It has gotten somewhat better since its release in the Ram back in October I’ll give them that. There have been many updates. Wireless carplay has seen the most improvement but there are still other glitches and some seem like they should be so simple to fix. Looking at other manufacturer forums and having friends work at different dealers many are struggling with the onset of all the new technology in their vehicles. Cellphone connectivity seems to be the one thing all have trouble with which makes sense since there are million variables at play.
This makes me feel much better that it isn’t a Ram only issue

Rebond

Reaction score
I pulled the negative battery cable for an hour or so and since have not had it forget my shortcuts. It's still slow to load upon start up at times, which can be frustrating having to wait to change radio station etc. before driving away.

Every now and then the electric tailgate latches seem to go back to closed position after opening, so I am more careful when trying to close the tailgate. It's unnerving when the tailgate bounces off the latches when I try to shut it, only to realize I have to grab the handle to unlatch them again. Not sure why this happens and as a contractor I use my bed constantly.

For the money, it's a nice comfortable truck though with the Night Edition and Bighorn package extras. The driving experience, build quality and interior are unmatched in this class. Even with these quirks I hope they work out, I'd buy it again. I believe they will sort them out, as the problems I have are all software Uconnect 5 issues. It would be nice if they would acknowledge them and let us owners know when we can expect a fix.

At least we can shut off MDS through the gear select, which other manufacturers don't allow. A button, rather than hitting the - then + to 8 each time I put it in drive would be very welcome though.

Can't go wrong with the Hemi, 3.92 gears and 8 speed (highly recommend the LSD rear too). It's fast for a truck and I average 18 mpg. (I use 89 octane) mixed driving, when I'm easy on the throttle.

If you buy one, I'd recommend a catch can asap as well. No sense sucking oil into your intake system!

rbundy84

Reaction score
I pulled the negative battery cable for an hour or so and since have not had it forget my shortcuts. It's still slow to load upon start up at times, which can be frustrating having to wait to change radio station etc. before driving away.

Every now and then the electric tailgate latches seem to go back to closed position after opening, so I am more careful when trying to close the tailgate. It's unnerving when the tailgate bounces off the latches when I try to shut it, only to realize I have to grab the handle to unlatch them again. Not sure why this happens and as a contractor I use my bed constantly.

For the money, it's a nice comfortable truck though with the Night Edition and Bighorn package extras. The driving experience, build quality and interior are unmatched in this class. Even with these quirks I hope they work out, I'd buy it again. I believe they will sort them out, as the problems I have are all software Uconnect 5 issues. It would be nice if they would acknowledge them and let us owners know when we can expect a fix.

At least we can shut off MDS through the gear select, which other manufacturers don't allow. A button, rather than hitting the - then + to 8 each time I put it in drive would be very welcome though.

Can't go wrong with the Hemi, 3.92 gears and 8 speed (highly recommend the LSD rear too). It's fast for a truck and I average 18 mpg. (I use 89 octane) mixed driving, when I'm easy on the throttle.

If you buy one, I'd recommend a catch can asap as well. No sense sucking oil into your intake system!
Such a great post - thanks!

rbundy84

Reaction score
Is HD radio available with the 8.4 non-nav or just the nav version?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speaking of crap infotainment system... I went from multiple Jeeps and a 2020 Ram that all had Uconnect 4 8.4" systems in them. This Uconnect 5 8.4" system is not exciting me at all. In fact, I point blank don't like it. For one thing the screen is way too busy. Way too much going on. It's more distracting trying to find what I want. The auto climate control functions totally differently too. For example, this morning was a 75 degree morning so not really what you'd call hot, but the auto climate kept the fan speeds on high the entire 35 minute drive to work. In the past it would cool the cabin down and then relax the fan speed greatly. Looks like a lot of menus have also changed, and things are harder to locate. I don't know, I mean the resolution of the screen looks great but I'm just not a fan of UC5.

Users who are viewing this thread