5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great traction in bad weather

DraKhen99

Reaction score
You're probably driving more aggressively. I know in dry weather I can kick out the rear end of my truck by pressing too hard on the gas pedal.

For winter, I'm hoping to get a set of 20" wheels and Goodyear Adventure w/Kevlar A/T tires. I had them on my F-150 and they were perfect for the driving I do and they were quiet. I have the 22" wheels on my Limited, and while they look great, I worry about traction in the winter time on the all-season rubber. I have a 25-30 mile commute, so 50-60 miles round trip, and we don't get snow days, and my mom is getting up in age so I gotta be able to get to her (her neighborhood won't see a plow for 5-7 days in bigger snow storms).

-John

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had great winter traction with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S I put on last winter. I'm looking forward to using them again this winter.

Turin

Reaction score
recently my tires have spun going from a stop sign or stoplight when it is raining (not heavy downpour).
It doesn't take much to spin the tires with the 3.92 rear end. Mine tend to slip a bit (triggering the ASD) when starting from a stop on wet roads, particularly shortly after it starts raining; i.e. before it's rained long/hard enough to wash the dirt, oil, etc. off the road. I suspect that I won't be happy with the tires that came on the truck come winter and will want to either replace them or pick up a set of spare wheels and get some proper snow tires. I keep watching the B/S/T forum for local-ish take-offs but haven't seen any yet.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It doesn't take much to spin the tires with the 3.92 rear end. Mine tend to slip a bit (triggering the ASD) when starting from a stop on wet roads, particularly shortly after it starts raining; i.e. before it's rained long/hard enough to wash the dirt, oil, etc. off the road. I suspect that I won't be happy with the tires that came on the truck come winter and will want to either replace them or pick up a set of spare wheels and get some proper snow tires. I keep watching the B/S/T forum for local-ish take-offs but haven't seen any yet.

That's the funny thing though, I was generally pretty happy last winter through multiple midwest snowstorms with the tires. I was worried going into last winter, but as I posted in January, quite pleased with the performance. I'm going to chalk it up to me hitting the gas pedal harder recently. I'll be keeping a close eye on whether I need to switch to some good AT this winter, or perhaps keep my current AS for summer/spring months and pick up dedicated snow tires.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Here is a demo that i found very descriptive of the 2wd, 4wd, and auto 4wd. Though not inclusive of snow and ice, it gives you a good idea of how the system manages to work through the different settings. I have no doubt that the driver makes a difference also. I do not know when or if he is using a brake, accelerator pedal interaction to activate the engagement of the alternate wheels. I hope this helps.

Last edited:

AndyFSR

Reaction score
Paint stripes on the road maybe? Oily surface ? Or is it just Everytime? Mine will spin a wheel, slip, Everytime even on dry ground if I had a tad bit too much especially on a slight uphill corner.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is a demo that i found very descriptive of the 2wd, 4wd, and auto 4wd. Though not inclusive of snow and ice, it gives you a good idea of how the system manages to work through the different settings. I have no doubt that the driver makes a difference also. I do not know when or if he is using a brake, accelerator pedal interaction to activate the engagement of the alternate wheels. I hope this helps.

What's the equipped differential? Not really helpful without that info.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread