5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great traction in bad weather

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
So here's how I understand it, feel free to chime in guys I won't be offendeD!

In 2WD just the rear tires are turning.
In 4Auto, good for rain, slush, you can still turn and everything just fine, it's 2x4, and in moments where you're slipping, on comes 4x4. Those front tires come to life.
In 4high, you're "locked" (It was once called 4lock in the rams), the 4 tires are trying to turn, which also means the turning radius is impacted, binding, etc. It's why you're not supposed to engage 4high on dry pavement and try turning, the gears start to bind. In slushy slippy situations, when the outer tires have to turn faster than the inner ones - they're stuck turning at the same speed. BUT in slippery stuff, slipping can occur to protect the drivetrain.
In 4Low, you're in tank mode. All the torque you handle, keep it under 25mph-30mph I think?

The rebel's transfer case loses a 4Auto gear, but I believe it's in favor of a beefier, heavier, more robust system for the other 2 gears.
But it loses the 4Auto capability.
Yeah, pretty much, thats the gist.

4high, for me, is really only for of I want to go straight... but IF i have to turn, it BETTER be soft soil or mud or snow that can be churned up, instead of the resistance forcing my truck to pay the price for. But almost any speed, so long as I am straight. For 4high, mainly straight deep mud or snow or a 1 or 2 foot creek to ford through to the other side.

When the conditions get me going, 9n the fly back to 4auto.

In a rebel case, or if no 4auto, id go back to 2wd and call on the 4high 9nly when theres a full need.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
So here's how I understand it, feel free to chime in guys I won't be offendeD!

In 2WD just the rear tires are turning.
In 4Auto, good for rain, slush, you can still turn and everything just fine, it's 2x4, and in moments where you're slipping, on comes 4x4. Those front tires come to life.
In 4high, you're "locked" (It was once called 4lock in the rams), the 4 tires are trying to turn, which also means the turning radius is impacted, binding, etc. It's why you're not supposed to engage 4high on dry pavement and try turning, the gears start to bind. In slushy slippy situations, when the outer tires have to turn faster than the inner ones - they're stuck turning at the same speed. BUT in slippery stuff, slipping can occur to protect the drivetrain.
In 4Low, you're in tank mode. All the torque you handle, keep it under 25mph-30mph I think?

The rebel's transfer case loses a 4Auto gear, but I believe it's in favor of a beefier, heavier, more robust system for the other 2 gears.
But it loses the 4Auto capability.
Sucks, but you simply do not have a rainy road, loose dirt road 4auto help. You have full on go in the sand like a beast help.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score

... if you want the 4auto to be working, you have to be using the gas. Not wide open throttle. But it needs to be told to go, in order for it to start looking for traction.

So if you're in a fast turn, and you're losing grip, our brains want to brake. In reality, one should lightly play with the accelerator, so the system can be told to find the grip.

My humble opinion on 4AUTO, no need to think about anything; drive normally and let it do its' thing.

I have no idea how they make the electronics in conjunction with the mechanicals react so fast, but it does. Amazingly quick in my experience at any sign of slippage.

M

Mdegen93

I’ve been pleasantly surprised as to how well the 22’s handle the snow

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
My humble opinion on 4AUTO, no need to think about anything; drive normally and let it do its' thing.

I have no idea how they make the electronics in conjunction with the mechanicals react so fast, but it does. Amazingly quick in my experience at any sign of slippage.
Agreed. Its great. Like u say, drive normal, and as it does its thing, all good. Driving normal shouldnt be making people lose grip on turns lol.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve been pleasantly surprised as to how well the 22’s handle the snow

So my understanding is: That's tire sipes at work.
I only stayed at a holiday inn express last night, but:
- Supposedly, only snow sticks to snow
- The ability of the tire to hold a little snow, to stick to other snow, is thusly key
- Believe it or not, many road tires are actually pretty good at that, and there are all terrain tires that aren't

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much, thats the gist.

4high, for me, is really only for of I want to go straight... but IF i have to turn, it BETTER be soft soil or mud or snow that can be churned up, instead of the resistance forcing my truck to pay the price for. But almost any speed, so long as I am straight. For 4high, mainly straight deep mud or snow or a 1 or 2 foot creek to ford through to the other side.

When the conditions get me going, 9n the fly back to 4auto.

In a rebel case, or if no 4auto, id go back to 2wd and call on the 4high 9nly when theres a full need.

"4high for most things, 4low if you're totally stuck" right? LOL

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
So my understanding is: That's tire sipes at work.
I only stayed at a holiday inn express last night, but:
- Supposedly, only snow sticks to snow
- The ability of the tire to hold a little snow, to stick to other snow, is thusly key
- Believe it or not, many road tires are actually pretty good at that, and there are all terrain tires that aren't
I am going to say, absolutely correct. A little sipes that catch little snow, will grip the new snow.

Mud terrain types, who are knobby but NO SIPES, have gaps TOO LARGE for snow. They dont stay in.

You may as well be trying to drive with Summer Only tires when you try to go street snow with Mud Terrains.

That said, DEEP SNOW, mud terrains may be able to help. But you can get knobby tires with sipes just the same and be in real good snow shape.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
"4high for most things, 4low if you're totally stuck" right? LOL
No, not for me at least. 4high for straight line troubles (or curvy troubles with loose grounding). 4 lo for bigger straight troubles, like rock crawling. Or trying to work yourself out of a ditch.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Forgot one: 4Auto great for DRY as well. Its just a matter of whetger or not you want to pay for it in gas. Its miniscule, but still.

4Auto, like most AWDs and Quattro types, excel at launches and holding turns.

But for anyone not real experienced with AWDs who may be reading this, remember this one thing (which seems highly counter intuitive)... if you want the 4auto to be working, you have to be using the gas. Not wide open throttle. But it needs to be told to go, in order for it to start looking for traction.

So if you're in a fast turn, and you're losing grip, our brains want to brake. In reality, one should lightly play with the accelerator, so the system can be told to find the grip.

I had been an audi quattro autocrosser at one point when much younger, yet most traction controls do the same thing, whether all 4 wheels or just 2.

I am new to RAM tho, so if this is different in some way, someone please let me know.
To be clear, Auto 4WD is NOT the same as AWD.

Audi Quattro systems (like the one in my wife’s car) are a great example of AWD, where a percentage of torque is always being sent to all four wheels, and the system adjusts the torque split in real time to respond to driving dynamics.

Auto 4WD doesn’t work that way. As others have stated, it functions as rear wheel drive until slippage is detected, then engages the front wheels. Think of it as purely reactive, whereas AWD is both proactive and reactive.

It’s still a very nice system, and (unlike AWD vehicles) still allows us to go into true 4WD hi/lo modes.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Yeah, you know that crunchy sound when you drive slowly over fresh or piled up snow? Like, fingernail on blackboard crunch... thats a good sound. Thats snow getting where it supposed to go in your tread.

If you dont hear it, not so great. It means its being displaced. Think about what sound a nascar slick woukd make on snow. Nothing.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score

Audi Quattro systems (like the one in my wife’s car) are a great example of AWD, where a percentage of torque is always being sent to all four wheels, and the system adjusts the torque split in real time to respond to driving dynamics.

Auto 4WD doesn’t work that way. As others have stated, it functions as rear wheel drive until slippage is detected, then engages the front wheels. Think of it as purely reactive, whereas AWD is both proactive and reactive.

It’s still a very nice system, and (unlike AWD vehicles) still allows us to go into true 4WD hi/lo modes.
Excellent thanks.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score

Whats the wife have? Mine has a Q5 hybrid

Reaction score
Your LSD helps. Those with the ORG (that's me) have tires that aren't as capable on the road, and obviously the locker doesn't do anything at highway speeds.

Honestly if it weren't for aesthetics and ride height I would've gone LSD without ORG. If I'm honest with myself I spend 99% of the time on paved roads.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Limited with the 20" 275/55R20 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires. The tires are OK in the snow, but I've had better performance on my other trucks with Michelin LTX M/S tires. I plan to replace the OEM Bridgestones with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S soon.

I have the 5'7" bed and haven't felt the need to add weigh to the back. The CC is long, and the truck is heavy. There seems to be plenty of weight distributed to the rear wheels.

@Longhorn5G , I get what you're talking about with the noise on snow. I refer to it as a squeak....or the snow wailing due to being dominated by the truck. :p

Driving on snow is another reason I don't like to go with really wide tires. More surface area can result in the truck riding more on the surface of the snow.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I have the Limited with the 20" 275/55R20 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza tires. The tires are OK in the snow, but I've had better performance on my other trucks with Michelin LTX M/S tires. I plan to replace the OEM Bridgestones with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S soon.

I have the 5'7" bed and haven't felt the need to add weigh to the back. The CC is long, and the truck is heavy. There seems to be plenty of weight distributed to the rear wheels.
Me too! I love those tires

illucid

Reaction score
Anti spin is just going to stop whichever wheel is spinning.

So if you turn off anti spin or turn off traction control, it wont be trying to prevent spin where there is no grip.

If you are in 4auto, and lets say ur at the bottom of a snowy hill, trying to start from stop. If theres no traction for ANY tire, theyd want to spin. Anti slip will just shut each one down. In extreme situations, you will rev engine and NO wheel moves really.

Pop that traction control off, and you get spinning. And its that spinning that can slowly get u grip as someone pushes or u get pulled...and you turning wheel left to right.

An anti-spin differential is like a limited slip differential (LSD). It doesn't stop the wheels from spinning in any sense, in fact it does the opposite. It sends power to the wheel that isnt spinning so that both rear wheels will spin for added traction. Unlike a closed differential which will not be able to send power to the wheel with traction under the same circumstances. In other words... 2 tire fire!

Users who are viewing this thread