5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gotta Say, these trucks can take a hit.

ldoh

Reaction score
So much for the advanced safety group. :)

But seriously, glad no one was injured. I would bet it isn't a total loss. Insurance companies and auto body shops seem to have sweet heart deals. I could never get a repair quote similar to the insurance company's.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Diminished value claims are a sham. $20,000 in damage and 56 days in the shop/of having to use a rental car after a collision with my Alfa Romeo Guilia last year. I fought StateFarm for diminished value and all you ever heard was, “The vehicle was restored to the same condition(s) it was before the accident, why would it be worth less? There is no case to move forward on.”

I have a good working relationship with my StateFarm agent, but typically, you work with a Team to revolve insurance claims. She said in her 10 years of business at 2 separate offices, she had never seen diminished value paid out in the state of Ohio. I insure 4 vehicles, 5 houses, and possess 2 umbrella policies with StateFarm, so it is fair to say I thought I would be treated with a certain level of professional courtesy.

SIDE NOTE: StateFarm wrote me a check to have my paint correction, ceramic coating and PPF redone to the tune of $2,700 in the impacted areas. They said no at first, I called my installer and he said to call back referring to the work as “permanent fixtures” and that the new panels will not match the rest of the vehicle’s paint. It worked. Having nothing on file for the work that was done prior to the accident, StateFarm accepted my old receipt as proof and accepted the quote for new work. I was even able to use my preferred shop (which was not a StateFarm preferred shop).

On the truck, however, I was proactive and have the quote and receipt on file. Felt I got lucky the first time.
Of course they're going to tell you that. Insurance companies will try thier damnest not to pay you 1 cent more than they have to. I guarantee you, will will take a loss when you sell/trade it in.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
So much for the advanced safety group. :)

But seriously, glad no one was injured. I would bet it isn't a total loss. Insurance companies and auto body shops seem to have sweet heart deals. I could never get a repair quote similar to the insurance company's.
Just make sure you tell your insurance company you want new OEM replacement parts. If you don't tell them that, they will install junk yard/ knock off parts.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Of course they're going to tell you that. Insurance companies will try thier damnest not to pay you 1 cent more than they have to. I guarantee you, will will take a loss when you sell/trade it in.
They used all Alfa genuine parts (no companies make knockoff parts yet). I plan on putting over 100k miles on it. No worries on my side of things. Getting a check for diminished value is not realistic. Have you ever heard of anybody getting one?

Brisoup1

Reaction score
They used all Alfa genuine parts (no companies make knockoff parts yet). I plan on putting over 100k miles on it. No worries on my side of things. Getting a check for diminished value is not realistic. Have you ever heard of anybody getting one?
I've read of certain states that makes it mandatory to allow diminished value (Don't know how true it is.) Don't know anyone personally who received it. In any case, since your Alfa is pretty rare in the states, there probably not many totaled ones sitting around in junk yards, so OEM parts is the only way to go. Since your're keeping it for 100K, the diminished value isn't going to affect you.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
I've read of certain states that makes it mandatory to allow diminished value (Don't know how true it is.) Don't know anyone personally who received it. In any case, since your Alfa is pretty rare in the states, there probably not many totaled ones sitting around in junk yards, so OEM parts is the only way to go. Since your're keeping it for 100K, the diminished value isn't going to affect you.
My biggest fear was it not driving the same after the repairs, but it drove perfect. In Ohio, you have the right to KEEP bringing your car back to the maintenance shop after an accident until they give you satisfactory results. Unlike when dealerships ignore your wind noise concerns, etc. and just say sorry we don’t hear it.

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
Just make sure you tell your insurance company you want new OEM replacement parts. If you don't tell them that, they will install junk yard/ knock off parts.
Good advice. If they install knockoff parts, it can void your existing warranty on other genuine parts. If it’s a lease, they can make you pay to have them replaced with genuine parts upon lease end.

Birdphoto19

Reaction score
Another driver swerved into me while trying to avoid someone swerving into them. Truck took it like a champ, but now I can't open either door on the passenger side. Have to wait until Monday to get things rolling with the insurances. Just fortunate everyone was ok. The way it felt inside the cab, I thought there would be minor scratches on the outside of the truck, I was definitely not expecting it to be caved in!

Also, the ceramic coating did nothing to help, as it even makes taking the pictures difficult! lol.
Heartbreaking!!!

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well after two days, I'm happy to report no aches and pains popping up yet. Spent a few hours making phone calls with everyone and FINALLY it seems like things are going to start moving along. Sending it to a local dealership chain's body shop, and I definitely plan on making sure all OEM parts are used if they decide to fix it. Wednesday is the day the adjuster goes out and I definitely plan on being there for that too. Hopefully I'll be in a rental later this afternoon and I can be mobile again and stop bumming rides from people who like to bust my balls, lol.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
She goes into the shop tomorrow morning, and the adjuster is meeting me there wednesday to look at the truck.

What's the consensus on the damage total? If it's not totaled, I'm suspecting well into the teens with the repair bill, no?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
She goes into the shop tomorrow morning, and the adjuster is meeting me there wednesday to look at the truck.

What's the consensus on the damage total? If it's not totaled, I'm suspecting well into the teens with the repair bill, no?
I’m gonna guess $18000

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Wow, this is encouraging that everyone was safe and you were not injured. I know it might sound stupid but I always thought that as these vehicles got lighter “for better fuel economy” they would become less safe. If my truck looked like that I would be hoping that it oils be totaled but I do love my truck so I would get an exact replica.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We have received diminished value checks on my wife’s Lexus in GA before.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked up the laws in Mass (where my truck is insured) and CT (where the accident happened / where her insurance is) and both states have diminished value laws that allow for compensation due to accident damage that affects the resale value of a vehicle.

Mass is a TLF (Total Loss Formula) state, and CT is a 100% Total Value state.

We'll see what happens, her insurance accepted 100% liability this morning, and the truck left for the body shop just before that.

sparkygreen

Reaction score
I think some states require you to wait until its sold to prove the amount of diminished value. If that was the case, it would be beneficial to sell it immediately for a loss if you knew they would cover the difference.

Good luck and glad to hear everyone is safe and the truck stood up to the impact!

thabiiighomie

Reaction score
We have received diminished value checks on my wife’s Lexus in GA before.
Tell me how you did it lol. What steps you took, etc. I would appreciate a nice little check, especially knowing that I am keeping the vehicle until the wheels fall off. My accident was the day after Christmas, so the case is still open.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Tell me how you did it lol. What steps you took, etc. I would appreciate a nice little check, especially knowing that I am keeping the vehicle until the wheels fall off. My accident was the day after Christmas, so the case is still open.
I think if you took it to a dealer and asked for trade value (knowing about the repairs), then compare that to KBB trade value, you'd have a case for insurance. Friend recently wrecked his 2015 Ram and went to the selling and repairing dealer for a potential trade. Over $10k in value lost on that potential trade.

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
My wife worked in auto insurance as a claims manager. From my understanding you just have to ask for it. If your state allows it they have to give it to you. You also don’t have to agree with the first number they give you if you think they are low balling you but I don’t know how you go about figuring out how much of a diminished value it is to you if you were to sell it. The value certainly depends on how much damage was done to your vehicle.

2019REBEL

Reaction score
Glad everyone was ok!

That almost looks like it could possibly be a write off (would be around here anyways as the main cab took structure damage). Guess you never know what insurance companies will say though.

Probably not write off. I was hit close to like that when I had my 2014 Outdoorsman. Had to replace rear passenger door, cab corner, half rear cab, rear glass, all passenger side box, rear passenger rim and some other stuff. Cost the other guys insurance company close to $15 grand as he was at fault.

Users who are viewing this thread