5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got weighed - Now what?

Tymeks

Reaction score
Hello All. New...ish to pulling trailers, so just looking to do it right.

I got weighed, here are the before and after.

Before.
image.jpg

And then the After.

image.jpg

As well, heres the stickers.

57446E8A-7C06-4501-B4C4-0B8CCEED713F.jpeg

18D77872-B86D-4AAA-A444-7E2040DE6413.jpeg

The Trailer had most of the stuff in it that I’ll be camping with as well as a full tank of water ( 52 Gallons ), battery and two full propane tanks.

The only big item that wasn’t in there is my generator but it weighs 100 pounds and then my wife at 130lbs.

The after includes the weight distribution bars installed and dialed in. I was able to get back to my exact unloaded weight.

My rig = 5.7etorque, 3.92’s, 2WD, crew cab Laramie.

By the looks of it, it appears I’m good on payload and axle weights right?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 28

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
It looks to me that you have dialed in pretty well. How did it feel towing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would expect a little more tongue weight with a 6600lb trailer, I think 12% is a good number for camper trailers which puts it at just about 800lbs. With the hitch you’d be around 900lbs tongue weight.

If it’s light while towing I’d move a bit of the cargo forwards. Other than that your good.

Tymeks

Reaction score
It looks to me that you have dialed in pretty well. How did it feel towing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It towed good. I didn’t take it far as I was just doing short test runs at this point. But it felt good. Still floated a little on the front but I think that’s just how it is when towing in general.

Tymeks

Reaction score
I would expect a little more tongue weight with a 6600lb trailer, I think 12% is a good number for camper trailers which puts it at just about 800lbs. With the hitch you’d be around 900lbs tongue weight.

If it’s light while towing I’d move a bit of the cargo forwards. Other than that your good.
Based on the numbers I posted there, is there a way to exactly calculate what my tongue weight is? Or is there a way to figure out what my payload is?

Specially, I’m trying to figure out how much more I can add in the bed specifically, before I go over on my payload.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your at 6280...so 6900 minus 6280 leaves you with 620 more pounds for payload

I am assuming your second weigh is with WDH...because you got almost all the weight back to the front axle.

To find your tongue weight you need a weigh without is hooked up.

Otherwise take 6280 minus 5740 for 540 lbs.

All your numbers are well bellow max. Awesome

Tymeks

Reaction score
Your at 6280...so 6900 minus 6280 leaves you with 620 more pounds for payload

I am assuming your second weigh is with WDH...because you got almost all the weight back to the front axle.

To find your tongue weight you need a weigh without is hooked up.

Otherwise take 6280 minus 5740 for 540 lbs.

All your numbers are well bellow max. Awesome
Ignorant question, but wouldn’t tongue weight change ( go down ) as you redistribute the weight forward ( With the distribution bars )

So isn’t it more accurate to take the 6900 minus 6280 number ( equals 620 ). And know that I have 620 pounds of payload left over as-is?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ignorant question, but wouldn’t tongue weight change ( go down ) as you redistribute the weight forward ( With the distribution bars )

So isn’t it more accurate to take the 6900 minus 6280 number ( equals 620 ). And know that I have 620 pounds of payload left over as-is?
Yes. That is how you figure your left over payload...which I did.

The tongue weight of the trailer can be done by weighing just the trailer...or by weighing just the truck and the the truck and trailer without WDH hooked up.

With it hooked up your tongue weight is 540. Unhooked it would more accurately show more.

So yes. The tongue weight goes down as you hook up the WDH.

So. These questions where answered in my post.

620lbs is your available payload. You still have lots of axle capacity.

Tongue weight with the info you gave is 540. If you unhook the bars that weight will go up.

If you adjust the bars, you may even get yourself right back to unhooked front axle weight...which would be awesome.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that 8% tongue weight seems a bit light for a travel trailer.

Is the 52g water tank behind the axles?

Tymeks

Reaction score
I agree that 8% tongue weight seems a bit light for a travel trailer.

Is the 52g water tank behind the axles?
I’m not sure where it sits, I believe it is, yes.

With it showing 8%, what are your thoughts that represents?

Markvv

Reaction score
Remember wdh put some of the tongue weight back to the trailer. General rule is 10-15 per cent. Tongue does seem to be on the light side though. Is this a grand design imagine 2400bh? Trying to remember which trailer you were buying.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Looking at the floorplan... the rear outdoor kitchen is going to make it rear heavy. But it seems likely that with time, that pass-through storage compartment up front will fill up with folding chairs and sacks of charcoal and so on. I think the light tongue weight will cure itself and the unused payload will disappear.
77817a05-f527-48c5-82f7-0d8b5d3c5083-png.123717

Gary1243

Reaction score
Hello All. New...ish to pulling trailers, so just looking to do it right.

I got weighed, here are the before and after.

Before.
View attachment 124242

And then the After.

View attachment 124241

As well, heres the stickers.

View attachment 124243

View attachment 124244

The Trailer had most of the stuff in it that I’ll be camping with as well as a full tank of water ( 52 Gallons ), battery and two full propane tanks.

The only big item that wasn’t in there is my generator but it weighs 100 pounds and then my wife at 130lbs.

The after includes the weight distribution bars installed and dialed in. I was able to get back to my exact unloaded weight.

My rig = 5.7etorque, 3.92’s, 2WD, crew cab Laramie.

By the looks of it, it appears I’m good on payload and axle weights right?
Not much I can add here accept For a little reassurance as I agree with most of the comments. I have a very similar setup and numbers. i pull a 25’ Sundance 221RB. My loaded weights are about equal on both axles at 3350 each and 5500lbs on the trailer. I have about a 750lb tongue weight with an equalizer 4 WDH. I do have a bit of a floating bounce sensation which annoys me a bit, but this is a coil spring half ton that I bought for the 95% of the time I’m not pulling a trailer. I concur on the tongue weight seeming to be light as your weighed weight seems to indicate a tongue weight similar to the factory delivered tongue weight which is a bit unusual. But, bottom line is all your specs and weights match up pretty well with your truck and payload capacity (not a small feat with a 1500) and if it pulls well, without much sway or steering issues, then you’ve done well. Have fun. Today is my day to go get my trailer ready for my RV season.

Best of luck, Gary

Tymeks

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I truly appreciate the feedback. Good news is , everything is in great shape and I’m under weights.

Bad news is that everything is in great shape and I’m under weights…..which means I can’t justify buying a 2500……DANG IT. Hahahah

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not sure where it sits, I believe it is, yes.

With it showing 8%, what are your thoughts that represents?

Is the 5,740 lbs weigh-in ticket with the WDH still in the truck’s receiver hitch?

Do you have a third weight ticket with the trailer attached but the WDH bars not engaged? That would help

This remark below tells me there are further adjustments to be made

Still floated a little on the front

Tymeks

Reaction score
I don’t have one with the WDH not engaged. But doesn’t the fact that the before and after front axle weights being the same mean it’s pretty dialed in? ( Not trying to be snarky there, genuine question ). And then from there, I know my remaining payload as a result?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t have one with the WDH not engaged. But doesn’t the fact that the before and after front axle weights being the same mean it’s pretty dialed in? ( Not trying to be snarky there, genuine question ). And then from there, I know my remaining payload as a result?

Yes, having the loaded front axle within 40 lbs of unloaded is good but that’s only part of the story. It’s possible the trailer is too high and there isn’t much weight transfer.

You didn’t say if the WDH was in the 5,740 lb slip. If it wasn’t then you’re subtracting 75-100 lbs from the 540 which means your TW is even lighter.

Tymeks

Reaction score
The WDH wasn’t in the 5740 slip. It’s pretty level, at least I feel it is. It was full of water and the tank is in the back, so maybe that was causing the weight not to transfer?

Sounds like I’ll have to get it loaded up and make some more transfers over the scales. Luckily they’re not too far away from me, so it’s not a big deal.

I’ll wait until it’s fully prepped this time ( generator and wife ) and take it back up there.

Users who are viewing this thread