5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Maps Constantly Zooming In & Out - Apple CarPlay

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue with Google Maps constantly zooming in and out on its own when using Apple CarPlay? This has been happening on my UC5 lately and I can't seem to figure out why, nor have I been able to find much on it by searching. This is happening when using wireless CarPlay, and I have not verified if it will do the same when plugged in via USB yet (my next step).

Everything is up to date with the latest software (iPhone, Google Maps, and UC5).

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
On Waze there’s an option for 2d or 3d map. If I put it on auto, it zooms in and out, so I put it on 3d only. Maybe google maps has a similar option

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On Waze there’s an option for 2d or 3d map. If I put it on auto, it zooms in and out, so I put it on 3d only. Maybe google maps has a similar option
This is good to know. Mine does it sometimes but I have it on auto. I’ll switch it over.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score

That’s a good idea. I’ll give it a shot next time I go out. I messed with Apple Maps today to compare and it did not act the same way, but I did put it specifically in 3D.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
I switched Google Maps in to "North Up" mode and it seemed to do better, but that style messes with my mind when trying to think about where i'm turning when i'm in an unfamiliar area and actually using GPS. I did try Waze for about half of my commute this morning and turned auto to off beforehand, and it did very good. I may just end up switching to Waze instead of Google Maps.

I think the issue with Google is more in the phone than in UC5. Sitting still, I can have Google Maps running on CarPlay and as I rotate my phone, the pin on the map rotates with it. Waze and Apple Maps don't do that. I'll keep messing with it some more and see what else I can find.

For what it's worth, plugging the phone in via USB made no difference with Google.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The north always mode really sux to me. Maybe Waze will be better for you

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
The north always mode really sux to me. Maybe Waze will be better for you

Agreed. What I like about Google Maps is I can leave the traffic layer on without having to run GPS. Meaning I can see when i'm about to an 80-0 brake test during my work commute, without having to have a voice tell me how to get to where I already know to go. I did find the traffic layer in Waze, but I think it only works with GPS running.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Agreed. What I like about Google Maps is I can leave the traffic layer on without having to run GPS. Meaning I can see when i'm about to an 80-0 brake test during my work commute, without having to have a voice tell me how to get to where I already know to go. I did find the traffic layer in Waze, but I think it only works with GPS running.
I see. What do you mean by “GPS running”?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ah ok. Gotcha. Waze does fairly well for traffic too. Not sure about the traffic when actively routing, or if it offers an alternate route (I know google does this)

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just did some browsing in Waze with no active routes. It’s showing traffic backups and crashes.
IMG_4269.jpeg

Jsvt3

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use Waze every time I drive for traffic, hazards, coppers and I rarely input a destination. Works great for that purpose.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
Quick update - Google maps will behave if in "North Up" mode, but that messes with my mind when using GPS. I've switched to Waze and so far, it's been a lot better. Sometimes Waze gives me a blank screen on Carplay (split screen or full screen, doesn't matter) which requires I load another map and re-load Waze, but that's probably more a UC5 glitch than anything if I had to guess.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Quick update - Google maps will behave if in "North Up" mode, but that messes with my mind when using GPS. I've switched to Waze and so far, it's been a lot better. Sometimes Waze gives me a blank screen on Carplay (split screen or full screen, doesn't matter) which requires I load another map and re-load Waze, but that's probably more a UC5 glitch than anything if I had to guess.
Nice. Mine will sometimes show only a dot and no arrow to indicate where my vehicle is. I just reboot the CarPlay adapter and it fixes it.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
zooming in and out probably has something to do with your speed?
i know mine zooms in when i need to turn or when i'm slowing down and zooms out when i'm on highway

BayouBengal

Reaction score
I’ve noticed this as well with Google Maps when I’m hovering right at 45 mph. Usually speeding up or slowing down makes it stop for me.

Mdhwoods

Reaction score
happening to me also, apple maps is fine and so is waze. 1st i thought it was a gps issue, ie poor signal. seeing others with the same issue tell me its a google issue. hopefully they fix it.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
I’ve noticed this as well with Google Maps when I’m hovering right at 45 mph. Usually speeding up or slowing down makes it stop for me.
I hadn't thought about it being speed related, but now that you mention it, it's always fine on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread