5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good mpgs

falconer

Reaction score
Same here, with mid-17s in the city with eTorque.

Funny thing though, my mileage seems to appear worse after the airbag recall update. People say the computer was not as accurate as hand calculating, wonder if they calibrated it better?

I'm back up to the mid-17s (computer readout) in the city, but mine definitely took a drop from 18.5-19 after the V71 recall. I spoke to the dealer and they're going to do a mileage check at the 5K oil change.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
So just wanted to share my first long road trip mpgs with you guys. Filled up about halfway through pa and didnt fill up again til about the end of va. Hand calculated I got exactly 20 mpg. I wasnt going slow, hit some standstill traffic and some torrential rains. I accelerated pretty darn quick trying to pass idiots that go 62 in the passing lane. Overall extremely impressed with it. Only "mod" is a B2 fabrication muffler. Just put a k&n drop in filter today to see if that makes any difference.

How’s the air filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my trip north to Michigan last week. The Ram was showing 23.1 mpg at one of our gas stops. The Jeep was got up to 18 mpg for a while.
I would stop around a quarter tank with the Jeep. I hit Pilot truck stops because I knew I could fill both trucks at the same time with the same credit card. Anyway, I'd put 13ish gallons in the Jeep and 9ish in the Ram. Obviously the Ram didn't need to fill up but I topped it off anyway while I was cleaning the windshields.

‘19ramlveryeha

Reaction score
Question, why?.......

I rarely notice mine dropping and picking up cylinders

I can definitely feel mine. Feels like you slam it into geer. Not all the time but some times. Plus I hear it as well as I have the outlaw. For whatever reason 4 cylinders is way louder than 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm back up to the mid-17s (computer readout) in the city, but mine definitely took a drop from 18.5-19 after the V71 recall. I spoke to the dealer and they're going to do a mileage check at the 5K oil change.

weird how a seat-belt (ORC) recall affected your gas mileage ..

Tortolabob

Reaction score
We just arrived back from a trip from Cape Cod to Virginia and back. 2019 Rebel stock except for Magnaflow muffler.
Heading south the average was 20.7 mpg plenty of stop and go traffic. Heading north we averaged exactly 1mpg less or 19.7 mpg. Really can't complain with 392 gears and 5.7 with plenty of grunt. MDS on and came on and off as needed with no issues. Total trip was 1500 MILES +-.

ddharris

Reaction score
I cannot tell when MDS kicks in on mine except for the ECO light. My Chevy I could tell . I'm constantly into 4 cylinder mode Even on shorter trips or at least it gets there quickly.

Last edited:

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am jealous of pretty much all of y'all.

I've got 5000 miles on my truck now. 3.92, Hemi w/eTorque, stock 22s with stock tires (meticulously maintained at stock spec pressures - 36 psi cold), air suspension (which means it lowers to Aero mode on the highway). My overall average is a bit over 14 MPG right now. The best I've gotten on a tank is 17.9. All in all, probably 1 - 2 MPG better than my 4th Gen ('09).

I track every fill-up with Fuelly and I note down what the the tripmeter says the fuel economy was before I reset it, so I can compare the lie-o-meter to hand calculating. Once, the truck computer mileage was spot-on with the Fuelly-calculated mileage. Most of the time it's off and sometimes it's off by as much as 1.4 MPG.

So, y'all that are going off just what the truck says your mileage is might be kidding yourselves.

Regardless, I'm not surprised my mileage is low compared to most folks. I pretty much only have 2 speeds. I'm either driving somewhere within a mile or maybe 2 miles from my house. All, in town. So, it's all constant speeding up and slowing down. Or, I'm getting on the Interstate and setting the Adaptive Cruise Control to 80 MPH. Traffic around here, even on the Interstate, sucks. So, even when I'm on the Interstate there ends up being a fair bit of slowing down and speeding up. Between 3.92 gears, going 80 (versus, say 70), and all the speeding up and slowing down, even highway driving is going to give me low mileage.

I drove from here to Pittsburgh and back last weekend. I got gas at a travel plaza on the PA turnpike. 50 miles later, my tripmeter fuel econ was showing as 21.1 MPG. I guess my truck is CAPABLE of getting okay mileage. If I can find some road that is not too crowded and the speed limit is 55 and not 70....

I do think that, when you are saying how many miles you've got, what gears you have, etc., you should also give some indication of what your driving is like. I.e. are your highway miles mostly at 65? 70? 80? On congested highways or pretty uncrowded ones?

I'm just glad I have a 33 gallon tank. With this mileage, if I had a 26 or smaller, the more frequent stops would chap my a$$. Especially on road trips. I go home to Tallahassee a few times a year. I think the 33 will let me drive it with only 1 stop, but a 26 would require 2. I'll find out at Thanksgiving...

Users who are viewing this thread