5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good mpgs

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
So just wanted to share my first long road trip mpgs with you guys. Filled up about halfway through pa and didnt fill up again til about the end of va. Hand calculated I got exactly 20 mpg. I wasnt going slow, hit some standstill traffic and some torrential rains. I accelerated pretty darn quick trying to pass idiots that go 62 in the passing lane. Overall extremely impressed with it. Only "mod" is a B2 fabrication muffler. Just put a k&n drop in filter today to see if that makes any difference.

j517

Reaction score
Milage is perty good as u brake it in. I want a lift but I'm scared about milage

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Questions: Gears and total miles on truck? Engine? Stock 18's or 20's? Hilly or flat or mixed? All this has a bearing.
That's good mpg's for a hemi that's new no matter which gearing.

j517

Reaction score
i have 392 22 rim's stock diamond back cover and i get about 18 if i keep it under 80 average 75 to 80 up hills from bellow/sea level to 4000 ft above sea level

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
i have 392 22 rim's stock diamond back cover and i get about 18 if i keep it under 80 average 75 to 80 up hills from bellow/sea level to 4000 ft above sea level

Pretty good with 3.92.s

AtmozFear

Reaction score
That’s damn good for 3.92’s. I only get about 17 max in my 2019 and about 16 max in my 2012. Both hemi’s with 3.92 gearing, but both are also modified, along with suspension and heavy wide wheels also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freerider969

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel with stock 18" Goodyears and I am up to 16.4 mixed driving 60 percent highway and 40 percent city.

Cravenschild

Reaction score
3.21 Gears, stock 20's, 1800 miles on the truck. I got an average of 21 MPG going from Atlanta to Panama City Beach a week or so ago. I installed a drop in K&N filter and swapped the stock muffler out with a Flowmaster 40 this weekend and have been averaging 20 with 70% city and 30% highway driving. When I am in a bad mood or people are being slow I get lower MPG, but when I'm actually trying to get the MDS to engage actively I can average 20-21 in the city. Just have to find the sweet spot to get MDS to engage and coast behind people.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
3.21 Gears, stock 20's, 1800 miles on the truck. I got an average of 21 MPG going from Atlanta to Panama City Beach a week or so ago. I installed a drop in K&N filter and swapped the stock muffler out with a Flowmaster 40 this weekend and have been averaging 20 with 70% city and 30% highway driving. When I am in a bad mood or people are being slow I get lower MPG, but when I'm actually trying to get the MDS to engage actively I can average 20-21 in the city. Just have to find the sweet spot to get MDS to engage and coast behind people.
Excellent city mpg, with a hemi no less.

RPeezy

Reaction score
Sitting at stop lights is a killer, but if you can stay moving in the 40-50mph range with MDS on, you can see 25-30 instant mpg pretty easily. I just hit 2k miles, and I'm averaging 16.5 on the computer. I was hoping for 17-18, and with it still slowly climbing, I'm still hopeful I'll get there. My commute to work is about 3 miles city, 6 miles interstate, and 6 miles state highway. I typically get 19ish on the interstate part, and a little better on the highway part (slower speed). Not great, but adequate considering I have the off-road group, I think.

tdager

Reaction score
So far, I get 19-21 regularly on the highway with my 3.92s. Only 2000 on truck. Better than my EcoBoost I drove for 5 years on same stretch of road.

Same here, with mid-17s in the city with eTorque.

Funny thing though, my mileage seems to appear worse after the airbag recall update. People say the computer was not as accurate as hand calculating, wonder if they calibrated it better?

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3:21 gears, stock 18s, B2 Fab muffler, a Pulsar, and a rear toneau cover. The truck has about 6,500 miles on it and I'm getting around 17.5 MPG in mixed highway and city driving. Not too bad. I would think on a highway trip, I would probably get at least 20 MPG.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sitting at stop lights is a killer, but if you can stay moving in the 40-50mph range with MDS on, you can see 25-30 instant mpg pretty easily. I just hit 2k miles, and I'm averaging 16.5 on the computer. I was hoping for 17-18, and with it still slowly climbing, I'm still hopeful I'll get there. My commute to work is about 3 miles city, 6 miles interstate, and 6 miles state highway. I typically get 19ish on the interstate part, and a little better on the highway part (slower speed). Not great, but adequate considering I have the off-road group, I think.
I wish I could stay in the "40-50mph range". Here in DFW, I've got a few neighborhood streets (<25 mph = poor economy), a few larger city streets (35-45 mph, with lots of lights = poor economy), and freeways (65-80 mph = average to poor economy). It's so rare that I find an open stretch of road to cruise between 40-60 mph, and that's where optimum economy is achieved. I had one road trip like that (on country highways) since purchasing the truck, and I saw 17+ mpg for a long stretch, even with a lot of hills. Oh well.

wwalljr

Reaction score
Same here, with mid-17s in the city with eTorque.

Funny thing though, my mileage seems to appear worse after the airbag recall update. People say the computer was not as accurate as hand calculating, wonder if they calibrated it better?
Interesting. I haven’t done the recall yet. But will try to remember this experience.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
I think the sweet spot for my truck as far as highway speeds are concerned is about 72-75. I was easily averaging 18-21 (depending on slight hills vs flat) and it was just chugging along. I always thought my 05 cummins 6 speed was "good" on fuel cause it got around 20-21 highway, but the ride was harsh even with thuren coils and brand new bilsteins all the way around. This truck rides like a friggen caddy and with the B2 muffler sounds great. I do miss that diesel chatter and turbo whistle though...

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
My mileage has declined sharply after I had the truck treated - they must have put a ton of whatever it is on as it feels much heavier. Still getting 18-18.5 around town and 19/20 hwy versus the 19/20 local and 20-24 hwy

I can’t begin to think how much that stuff weights but at least I won’t have to worry about salt

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Only getting about 13 MPG (says even less at 12 MPG right now) mostly non highway, 3.92 with ORG and 18" wheels, 1700 miles on it.

RPeezy

Reaction score
I wish I could stay in the "40-50mph range". Here in DFW, I've got a few neighborhood streets (<25 mph = poor economy), a few larger city streets (35-45 mph, with lots of lights = poor economy), and freeways (65-80 mph = average to poor economy). It's so rare that I find an open stretch of road to cruise between 40-60 mph, and that's where optimum economy is achieved. I had one road trip like that (on country highways) since purchasing the truck, and I saw 17+ mpg for a long stretch, even with a lot of hills. Oh well.

Yeah, it's rare for me too, but it's nice when I do!

Users who are viewing this thread