5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good Bye Lemon, Hello 21!

HMC8403

Reaction score
It has actually been a month since I exchanged my 2019 Limited Lemon for a 2021. I didn’t want to do a writeup until I did a few mods and make her a little more me. Quick recap: my 2019 went through 2 radios, a 12” screen, rear camera, tail gate handle and some other things that I can’t remember due to traumatic amnesia. The exchange occurred about 13 months from the original purchase date. Once approved by the lawyers, I placed a factory order and about 10 weeks later she arrived. It cost me the difference in MSRPs and got a few options that the ’19 didn’t have (Tech, Night Ed, MFT, 33gal); boy am I glad that I did.

The first thing I did to the ’21 was transplant my Blackvue Dashcam and K40 360. I am not crazy about the performance of the K40 but I own it and don’t feel like paying another $2,500 for something better. I also installed the Tazer DT that I ordered in a Group-Buy last November and has been sitting in my garage waiting to be used.

Next was a set of Toyo Open Country AT3s 285/55R22. I was on the fence between those and the Nitto Grapplers; and 285s or 33/12.5R22. The biggest reason I went with the Toyo was the many neg reviews regarding the Nitto’s handling in rain. Also I was looking for more height and did not care about width. Since the Toyo’s were installed I did drive in a couple heavy downpours, I intentionally took a few hard turns and the grip felt solid. I also ordered some Gorilla black security lugs but haven’t installed them yet.

I was never crazy about the OEM Tonneau cover but it wasn’t a priority. I was shopping around and waiting for a good military discount to show up. Then I came across a posting from @Santa selling a PowertraxPro MX still sealed in box, the deal was too good to pass up. The transaction with him went smooth; we even exchanged numbers and text each other once in a while talking about our rides. Installation wasn’t too hard; after reading other posts regards the covers, I made some of my own tweaks. When installing the silver bed rails, I did apply a bead of caulk along the rail to help prevent water from leaking between the rail and bed-wall. Then when sliding in the bottom Retrax rail, I wedged some pipe insulation between the rail and the front wall. Not sure is it helped but haven’t noticed any water in the bed yet. I also programmed the unused Homelink buttons to operate the cover. While researching the cover, I did come across and order handle and grommets that turns the bed divider into an extender.

My last mod I had planned was for Tint, PPF and a black roof wrap. A buddy took me to a place that gave me dealer/wholesale pricing. Did ceramic tint on the front doors, one shade lighter that the rear since even meter-maids issue tickets to parked cars in Chicago. Installed PPF to the full front, lights, partial fenders and hoods, fender flares, mirrors, rocker panels, rear bumper, tailgate, door edges and handle cups. I was originally going to wrap the roof with a glossy black. While at the shop I noticed a sample of black Llumar PPF; it has a much deeper color and shine. I stopped the install and had them order the black PPF. The roof was finally completed today and she looks great. They also applied two coats of ceramic and 1 of topcoat.

Even though my first Ram was a Lemon, I am so glad I stuck with the brand. It has only been a month but the 2021 is turning out to be the truck of my dreams. Sorry about the pics, I'm not much of a photographer.

Attachments

• IMG_1450.JPG
    IMG_1450.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_1849.JPG
    IMG_1849.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_1851.JPG
    IMG_1851.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1857 copy.jpg
    IMG_1857 copy.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_1687.JPG
    IMG_1687.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1853.JPG
    IMG_1853.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1855.JPG
    IMG_1855.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_1852.JPG
    IMG_1852.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 348

cbadge

Reaction score
Awesome looking truck! Glad it worked out in the end. Sounds like after going through the headache you got something you will like better.

HMC8403

Reaction score
I forgot to mention: Two weeks ago I got rear ended in morning traffic. Before I got out of my truck I felt like both crying and tearing someones head off. Luckily the trailer receiver kept the other car from even reaching my bumper; no damage whatsoever, at least to my truck. And people ask me why I leave the ball in all the time:sneaky:

Attachments

• IMG_1703.JPG
    IMG_1703.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1704.JPG
    IMG_1704.JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 214

GadgetMason

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It has actually been a month since I exchanged my 2019 Limited Lemon for a 2021. I didn’t want to do a writeup until I did a few mods and make her a little more me. Quick recap: my 2019 went through 2 radios, a 12” screen, rear camera, tail gate handle and some other things that I can’t remember due to traumatic amnesia. The exchange occurred about 13 months from the original purchase date. Once approved by the lawyers, I placed a factory order and about 10 weeks later she arrived. It cost me the difference in MSRPs and got a few options that the ’19 didn’t have (Tech, Night Ed, MFT, 33gal); boy am I glad that I did.

The first thing I did to the ’21 was transplant my Blackvue Dashcam and K40 360. I am not crazy about the performance of the K40 but I own it and don’t feel like paying another $2,500 for something better. I also installed the Tazer DT that I ordered in a Group-Buy last November and has been sitting in my garage waiting to be used.

Next was a set of Toyo Open Country AT3s 285/55R22. I was on the fence between those and the Nitto Grapplers; and 285s or 33/12.5R22. The biggest reason I went with the Toyo was the many neg reviews regarding the Nitto’s handling in rain. Also I was looking for more height and did not care about width. Since the Toyo’s were installed I did drive in a couple heavy downpours, I intentionally took a few hard turns and the grip felt solid. I also ordered some Gorilla black security lugs but haven’t installed them yet.

I was never crazy about the OEM Tonneau cover but it wasn’t a priority. I was shopping around and waiting for a good military discount to show up. Then I came across a posting from @Santa selling a PowertraxPro MX still sealed in box, the deal was too good to pass up. The transaction with him went smooth; we even exchanged numbers and text each other once in a while talking about our rides. Installation wasn’t too hard; after reading other posts regards the covers, I made some of my own tweaks. When installing the silver bed rails, I did apply a bead of caulk along the rail to help prevent water from leaking between the rail and bed-wall. Then when sliding in the bottom Retrax rail, I wedged some pipe insulation between the rail and the front wall. Not sure is it helped but haven’t noticed any water in the bed yet. I also programmed the unused Homelink buttons to operate the cover. While researching the cover, I did come across and order handle and grommets that turns the bed divider into an extender.

My last mod I had planned was for Tint, PPF and a black roof wrap. A buddy took me to a place that gave me dealer/wholesale pricing. Did ceramic tint on the front doors, one shade lighter that the rear since even meter-maids issue tickets to parked cars in Chicago. Installed PPF to the full front, lights, partial fenders and hoods, fender flares, mirrors, rocker panels, rear bumper, tailgate, door edges and handle cups. I was originally going to wrap the roof with a glossy black. While at the shop I noticed a sample of black Llumar PPF; it has a much deeper color and shine. I stopped the install and had them order the black PPF. The roof was finally completed today and she looks great. They also applied two coats of ceramic and 1 of topcoat.

Even though my first Ram was a Lemon, I am so glad I stuck with the brand. It has only been a month but the 2021 is turning out to be the truck of my dreams. Sorry about the pics, I'm not much of a photographer.
Possible re-think on Blackvue ownership... https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threa...as-well-as-your-location-to-the-public.36372/

HMC8403

Reaction score
A little pricey but sooo cool😎 F74CC912-5096-4AD9-90E1-326C13B05359.jpeg

Attachments

• 1D021953-0C5B-47F9-BC71-C7A2ED349539.jpeg
    1D021953-0C5B-47F9-BC71-C7A2ED349539.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 59
  • E4E97537-93A2-4342-92AE-BE7320A58420.jpeg
    E4E97537-93A2-4342-92AE-BE7320A58420.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 59

HMC8403

Reaction score
Looks pretty good.. are u happy with the quality?
I was a little worried because only the tip of the original letters come off, I thought they would stick out too much; NOPE!

Also thought I purchased the wrong color; the originals were glossy that matched the rest of the grill while the new ones are a mat black. Actually like the mat since they match the air ducts on the hood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online