5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to order new wheels but have questions?

jwtiger69

Reaction score
This weekend I went and ordered some Toyo Open County 3's and went up in size to LT275/70/18 from my stock Falcon Wildpeaks LT275/65/18. I get home to tell the wife what I got and she proceeded to ask me what rims I got with it. Well that now opens the door for me to get rid of my stock wheels and something new. However I am dumb and am get really confused (like many) trying to figure out the offset I want/need. My truck is a 2020 1500 with the off road package. I want to try to keep the tires right inline with the fenders so they are flush and do not stick out.

I have been looking into Method and Fuel wheels specifically at the moment. But once I start looking at offsets I give up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does your truck have fender flares or no? If it does not (like a bighorn) a 20x10 wheel with 0 offset and 11.5inch tires aligns pretty flush with the fenders. Best place to look is at websites like customoffsets to see other peoples setups to get an idea of what rim size, offset and tie size they have as each one will play a part of where the tire ends up.

jwtiger69

Reaction score
Does your truck have fender flares or no? If it does not (like a bighorn) a 20x10 wheel with 0 offset and 11.5inch tires aligns pretty flush with the fenders. Best place to look is at websites like customoffsets to see other peoples setups to get an idea of what rim size, offset and tie size they have as each one will play a part of where the tire ends up.

Yes they do. I just got my tires put on my stock rims this afternoon. I have some room to go to sit nearly flush. So that would mean I should add a negative offset correct? Something around 12?

My next question is relation to wheel width. I was looking at 18x9 but am not sure if that is too wide for what I ended up getting. New tires are 275/70/18.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score

jwtiger69

Reaction score
This one gives you a good idea what a -12 offset with a 9" wide rim and 12.5" wide tire will look like with fender flares. You can adjust based on preference and look for more examples. Your new tire size is like a 10.75" width so theyll sit further inside the fender than the example below.

Great find! I think that would work out. Just not sure about wheel size now. With my tires I just got would an 18x9 not be recommended as the tire is just over 10 inches wide. So would a 18x8-8.5 be what I should be looking for?

Sorry I am wheel/tire dumb…. Starting to feel like I did this backwards and I should looked at wheels first then got tires. Not I feel like I am stuck and may not have a ton of options.

Last edited:

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great find! I think that would work out. Just not sure about wheel size now. With my tires I just got would an 18x9 not be recommended as the tire is just over 10 inches wide. So would a 18x8-8.5 be what I should be looking for?

Sorry I am wheel/tire dumb…. Starting to feel like I did this backwards and I should looked at wheels first then got tires. Not I feel like I am stuck and may not have a ton of options.
No, your tire size is fine if you want an 18x9 rim. I am only concerned on your tire with for the appearance of where the align with your fender. I think you could go with any rim between a -12 and -20mm offset to achieve the look you want.

FYI make sure the fitment of whatever rims you get will work. I don't ever run 18" rims but I think some have had issues with them rubbing on brake calipers or something along those lines. Just ensure they fit before pulling the trigger.

jwtiger69

Reaction score
No, your tire size is fine if you want an 18x9 rim. I am only concerned on your tire with for the appearance of where the align with your fender. I think you could go with any rim between a -12 and -20mm offset to achieve the look you want.

FYI make sure the fitment of whatever rims you get will work. I don't ever run 18" rims but I think some have had issues with them rubbing on brake calipers or something along those lines. Just ensure they fit before pulling the trigger.
Thanks for the help! As far as the wheels this what I am looking at:

Methods 304’s 18x9

I guess I will have to search the forum and see if anyone had issues with these.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Method 304s are pretty popular around here. @boogielander I'm pretty sure runs them w/ 35s so you should be fine. Check his members build thread or I’m sure he’ll eventually chime in here.

jwtiger69

Reaction score
Method 304s are pretty popular around here. @boogielander I'm pretty sure runs them w/ 35s so you should be fine. Check his members build thread or I’m sure he’ll eventually chime in here.
I just check out his build thread. He got them on his truck. I actually just emailed Method about them. If I decide that I need to put these I just want me to sure I am all good. Would hate to spend the money and not have them fit. But I have seen a few people for them. Some we will see.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just finding someone with the same wheel that doesn't have issues would cover you. Like you said it would suck if you order all this and have them installed to find they don't fit properly.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i got 305 and they fit great!

@jwtiger69 here's my write up if you haven't seen it: 35x12.5R18 on Performance Orientated Lift - a Overview, Procedure, and Review.

personally I recommend going with -12mm offset or 4.5" backspacing. that ensures you can use the same wheels if you ever decide to go 35x12.5 with a lift and UCA it will clear the UCA, even with 12.5" profile tires.

BUT, looking at the specs from the website, you're fine with Method 304 18x9, -12mm/ 4.5" backspacing. Just make sure have the tire place use when you have them balance the tires using 1/4 stick on weights and place the weights toward the face (outside/ spokes) of the wheel. Also, make sure the tire shop align the yellow dot on the tire with your valve so the least amount of weights are needed. It can be tricky, but it can be done.

Jedi9

Reaction score
Your at +19 or so now. 0 offset will move you out 3/4" from where you are now. -12 puts you out 1 1/4", -20 puts you out 1 1/2".

jwtiger69

Reaction score
i got 305 and they fit great!

@jwtiger69 here's my write up if you haven't seen it: 35x12.5R18 on Performance Orientated Lift - a Overview, Procedure, and Review.

personally I recommend going with -12mm offset or 4.5" backspacing. that ensures you can use the same wheels if you ever decide to go 35x12.5 with a lift and UCA it will clear the UCA, even with 12.5" profile tires.

BUT, looking at the specs from the website, you're fine with Method 304 18x9, -12mm/ 4.5" backspacing. Just make sure have the tire place use when you have them balance the tires using 1/4 stick on weights and place the weights toward the face (outside/ spokes) of the wheel. Also, make sure the tire shop align the yellow dot on the tire with your valve so the least amount of weights are needed. It can be tricky, but it can be done.

Great and thanks for the information!

jwtiger69

Reaction score
Your at +19 or so now. 0 offset will move you out 3/4" from where you are now. -12 puts you out 1 1/4", -20 puts you out 1 1/2".

Oh wow good information! So by that with me having about half in inch until I think I am even with the fenders flairs that would put me out about half an inch give or take? I will have to measure that when I get home. But as I have learned I don’t have many options to go with right now. Thanks!

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh wow good information! So by that with me having about half in inch until I think I am even with the fenders flairs that would put me out about half an inch give or take? I will have to measure that when I get home. But as I have learned I don’t have many options to go with right now. Thanks!
what he said is pretty accurate. HOWEVER, here's the thing that i tell my customers to think about:
1. if you ever plan on going wider and do lift and UCA, even with the slightest chance of it happening, 0 offset will not be enough to clear UCA. Most of the time my customers say they don't but end up changing their mind after a while, so now in addition to buying suspension and upper arm, they gotta get new wheels too because 0mm is way too close.
2. -20 puts it out too much and if you do any wheeling, you will hit your fender. Also, if you do go up (lift or tire size) and wide (tire width), you will need to trim a lot more. Again, that is only issue if you go up and wide.

Based on those 2 reasons, I always recommend -12mm/ 4.5" backspacing because it's the sweet spot for functionality and practicality. When I give professional recommendations, futureproofing is a big part of consideration. I want my customers to have parts that they can expand upon in the future, not something that works right now but will need to redo later.

jwtiger69

Reaction score
what he said is pretty accurate. HOWEVER, here's the thing that i tell my customers to think about:
1. if you ever plan on going wider and do lift and UCA, even with the slightest chance of it happening, 0 offset will not be enough to clear UCA. Most of the time my customers say they don't but end up changing their mind after a while, so now in addition to buying suspension and upper arm, they gotta get new wheels too because 0mm is way too close.
2. -20 puts it out too much and if you do any wheeling, you will hit your fender. Also, if you do go up (lift or tire size) and wide (tire width), you will need to trim a lot more. Again, that is only issue if you go up and wide.

Based on those 2 reasons, I always recommend -12mm/ 4.5" backspacing because it's the sweet spot for functionality and practicality. When I give professional recommendations, futureproofing is a big part of consideration. I want my customers to have parts that they can expand upon in the future, not something that works right now but will need to redo later.

All great points! I have no plans on doing anything else to the truck but it all makes sense!

Last edited:

jwtiger69

Reaction score
0b10401f5e3d43c73b77f2b05b5d224f.jpg

Got them put on today! Very happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread