5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GMC toolboxes adapted to Ram 1500

IowaRick

Reaction score
Hello, new user here with my first post.
I previously had a 2008 Sierra and then a 2011 Sierra SLT. Both trucks were problem free.
When the 2014 came out I tried to order a SLT with bench seats and a 6.2 V8.
My only option was a Denali with buckets to get the 6.2. Same situation with Chevrolet.

I decided to go a different route and bought a 2014 Durango RT.
The Durango was another problem free ride, basically oil changes and gas.
The new car bug hit in fall of 2018. I considered a Durango SRT but my budget wouldnt stretch that far, 72K and minimal discounts.
While at the dealership I saw the new Ram 1500 Crew Cab and it was love at first sight,
So the Durango got traded for a Laramie in Black Forrest Green, a beautiful truck when clean and in full sunshine.

Anyway I had about $1K worth of toolboxes in my shed that were removed from my 2011 Sierra. After measuring and a set of donor GMC bed rails from eBay.
I removed the Ram bed rails and used them to get holes drilled in the donor bed rails so they would mount on the Ram bed rail mounting points.
GMC bed rails were shortened on a miter saw and mounted to the Laramie. The large tool box was installed and only required ,25 inch shims on the drivers side to fit properly. The smaller tool boxes installed with no modifications.
IMG_20190418_144049.jpg Everything can be removed and the truck restored to factory if I replace it sometime in the future IMG_20190418_144629.jpg IMG_20190418_144456.jpg

IowaRick

Reaction score
Nice work. You must have a $hit ton of gear!
My Doberman takes the whole back seat so I need secure storage when we travel. The small tool boxes can be removed in less than a minute. When the side tool boxes are removed the front box can slide on the rails and be moved back to the tailgate, The best part is the tonneau hide the boxes from view. The last thing I need to finish the install is a Ram or Laramie emblem to fit in the recess in the tool box where the GMC emblem I removed was installed.

Users who are viewing this thread