5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GM 5.3 litre...

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guess we’re switching to Silverados just to squeeze out a few more mpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

U

User_3336

I owned 5.3 in my 2016 GMC Serria and I never had issues with it and now my bro n law has the truck the engine is running beautifully. I think the truck has 70k on it now.

The Trans is another story, LOL!

We also have a 2021 GMC with 5.3 and it has been just fine, next service it will and the induction system & fuel system cleaned.

The one thing that stands out(IMO) is the fuel mileage for the 5.3 is simply amazing for a V8, I can easily get 25mpg on our Yukon for road trips. My Serria would also return good MPG, I think I recorded 28mpg on of my trips.
Not too shabby! the RAM never got close! 24 5.3. Silverado 85 mile round trip.

mpg.jpg

Reaction score
I owned 5.3 in my 2016 GMC Serria and I never had issues with it and now my bro n law has the truck the engine is running beautifully. I think the truck has 70k on it now.

The Trans is another story, LOL!

We also have a 2021 GMC with 5.3 and it has been just fine, next service it will and the induction system & fuel system cleaned.

The one thing that stands out(IMO) is the fuel mileage for the 5.3 is simply amazing for a V8, I can easily get 25mpg on our Yukon for road trips. My Serria would also return good MPG, I think I recorded 28mpg on of my trips.
i feel like the money you save on fuel with direct injection is offset by added maintenance.
nissan and toyota have direct injection and added a injector in the port to clean the valve.
i have several friends with 4th gen rams that have over 200k on em and the ONLY problem they have had is the broken manifold bolts.
nothing is perfect and every now and then a one legged man wins a but kicking contest.....

U

User_3336

i beg to differ... after a 160 mile round trip, 2020 ram 1500 5.7 quad cab 2wd.
Respectfully, that display doesn't show miles travelled to achieve that at all. Only the trip display would show that.

U

User_3336

i feel like the money you save on fuel with direct injection is offset by added maintenance.
nissan and toyota have direct injection and added a injector in the port to clean the valve.
What truck models of Nissan and Toyota have port AND direct injection?

Reaction score
Respectfully, that display doesn't show miles travelled to achieve that at all. Only the trip display would show that.
i get it, i posted this last week...it is what it is. i have no reason to lie you can call BS on it if you want to. that was a round trip under optimal circumstances (imo) with the cruse set on 70 the whole time no passing and getting passed alot. i was taken by surprise so i took the pic to rub it in to my friend with a 4th gen.
full disclosure i have the pulsar on economy mode with a bed cover testing shows the cover helps. looks like it adds at least 1mpg wohoo lol

Last edited:

Reaction score
What truck models of Nissan and Toyota have port AND direct injection?
if i'm not mistaken 2023 tacoma
from google search
Does Nissan use dual injection?
Other manufacturers using dual injection systems include Audi, Ford, Hyundai and Nissan. Manufacturers will have their own strategies of operation but in most cases will use port injection at idle. During low to medium loads and engine speed both injectors are used and at high loads direct injection is used.

U

User_3336

if i'm not mistaken 2023 tacoma
from google search
Does Nissan use dual injection?
Other manufacturers using dual injection systems include Audi, Ford, Hyundai and Nissan. Manufacturers will have their own strategies of operation but in most cases will use port injection at idle. During low to medium loads and engine speed both injectors are used and at high loads direct injection is used.
Nissan does not, for sure, only direct injection. (frontier / titan).
Ford is the only truck I know of using port and direct injection, and I think its only on the 5.0 and 3.5 Ecoboost.

U

User_3336

i get it, i posted this last week...it is what it is. i have no reason to lie you can call BS on it if you want to. that was a round trip under optimal circumstances (imo) with the cruse set on 70 the whole time no passing and getting passed alot. i was taken by surprise so i took the pic to rub it in to my friend with a 4th gen.
full disclosure i have the pulsar on economy mode with a bed cover testing shows the cover helps. looks like it adds at least 1mpg wohoo lol
I have the tonneau cover too but not sure about the gas savings, probably minute. Creates less drag probably.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Here's mine at 8.4 l/100 km (28 mpg) and note the range to empty and fuel gauge which together takes into account that it wasn't just quickly reset and photoed.

8.4 l100 _ 28 mpg.png

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nissan does not, for sure, only direct injection. (frontier / titan).
Ford is the only truck I know of using port and direct injection, and I think its only on the 5.0 and 3.5 Ecoboost.
I'm pretty sure the newer Taco has both injectors.

Users who are viewing this thread