5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GM 5.3 litre...

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seems odd then that they are rated for 1 more mpg than the hemi. Seems if that were actually happening, they would be crowing about it.

There would be no value in them marketing better fuel economy as fuel economy is not an important goal for most truck buyers. That's why pickup commercials are about things like towing/hauling capability and performance and not about fuel economy. For the few buyers where an extra few MPG is important, they already know the GM 5.3 gets better fuel economy at a cost of nearly 50 HP and associated performance reduction.

Casull

Reaction score
There would be no value in them marketing better fuel economy as fuel economy is not an important goal for most truck buyers. That's why pickup commercials are about things like towing/hauling capability and performance and not about fuel economy. For the few buyers where an extra few MPG is important, they already know the GM 5.3 gets better fuel economy at a cost of nearly 50 HP and associated performance reduction.

Oh, they would be crowing about it. And buyers of trucks would be going after a V8 that supposedly gets 50% better mileage than the competition.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say there would be no value in it. While most people are more concerned with payload, towing capacity, and horsepower, there are still plenty of half ton truck buyers that are concerned with fuel economy.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh, they would be crowing about it. And buyers of trucks would be going after a V8 that supposedly gets 50% better mileage than the competition.

No one is talking about 50% better mileage. He said, 21-26 highway and 16-17 city. I dont' believe my friends GMC 4x4 has never seen anything below 20 MPG and I have never seen 20 MPG and I was fully aware of that fact when I traded my last Ram for my current Ram.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't say there would be no value in it. While most people are more concerned with payload, towing capacity, and horsepower, there are still plenty of half ton truck buyers that are concerned with fuel economy.

The few truck buyers who place a high value on economy don't need to hear about it in commercials. It would be a waste of resources to spend money marketing economy in a truck because most truck buyers are not looking for economic vehicles.

Casull

Reaction score
No one is talking about 50% better mileage. He said, 21-26 highway and 16-17 city. I dont' believe my friends GMC 4x4 has never seen anything below 20 MPG and I have never seen 20 MPG and I was fully aware of that fact when I traded my last Ram for my current Ram.

What he said was 24 mpg "easy" running 74 mph and as high as 30 mpg. Alot of guys here complaining about getting 15 to 16 mpg. Sounds like 50% to me.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What he said was 24 mpg "easy" running 74 mph and as high as 30 mpg. Alot of guys here complaining about getting 15 to 16 mpg. Sounds like 50% to me.

LOL! You think comparing the worst Ram mileage with the best GM mileage is a logical argument? I believe this is commonly called a false dilemma fallacy.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The few truck buyers who place a high value on economy don't need to hear about it in commercials. It would be a waste of resources to spend money marketing economy in a truck because most truck buyers are not looking for economic vehicles.
That may have been true even three years ago, but with the increase in gas and diesel prices, fuel economy is on a lot more people's minds lately. There will always be those who use their trucks to haul and/or tow regularly, and are more concerned with the numbers dealing with that than how many miles per gallon they might see. But more and more people are using their trucks for less truck things and more for commuting and grocery hauling. And fuel economy is definitely a part of their buying decision.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
LOL! You think comparing the worst Ram mileage with the best GM mileage is a logical argument? I believe this is commonly called a false dilemma fallacy.
Worst Ram mileage? Try average.

I just looked on Fuelly, 19,893 miles on my '19 Laramie before I got rid of it.... lifetime average MPG of 14.2...

I've put just under 7,000 miles on my '19 Limited in the year I've had it, 13.2mpg...

I rarely drive the Limited, actually just put the battery tender back on it last night...

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Worst Ram mileage? Try average.

I just looked on Fuelly, 19,893 miles on my '19 Laramie before I got rid of it.... lifetime average MPG of 14.2...

I've put just under 7,000 miles on my '19 Limited in the year I've had it, 13.2mpg...

I rarely drive the Limited, actually just put the battery tender back on it last night...

Something is wrong with your truck or you are a city driver with very heavy foot. I'm on my 3rd Hemi Ram and the only time I've seen less than 15mpg on any of them was when towing a trailer.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

50% is completely false. What you're comparing is one persons self reported MPG vs other self reported MPGs and trying to draw a conclusion. This won't be accurate at all. Instead use something like fuelly to get a better average between these two engines, and if you do, you'll see they're actually 100% equal, about 15 to 16 mpg on average:

And yes I've gotten as high as 27 mpg in my hemi but I won't suggest that that is normal nor very easy to repeat.

In short, your buddy is full of wind.

8.4 l100 _ 28 mpg.png

Casull

Reaction score
50% is completely false. What you're comparing is one persons self reported MPG vs other self reported MPGs and trying to draw a conclusion. This won't be accurate at all. Instead use something like fuelly to get a better average between these two engines, and if you do, you'll see they're actually 100% equal, about 15 to 16 mpg on average:

And yes I've gotten as high as 27 mpg in my hemi but I won't suggest that that is normal nor very easy to repeat.

View attachment 177076

Bingo!

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something is wrong with your truck or you are a city driver with very heavy foot. I'm on my 3rd Hemi Ram and the only time I've seen less than 15mpg on any of them was when towing a trailer.

Nothing is wrong with either of my Rams. It may be retirement red, but I'm just over half your age. That may have something to do with it!

395hp engine, why not use it? Expressway the cruise is set at 79-84 and both trucks have done bit of towing. Based on the above, quite a few folks like to take it slow on the expressway.

I have a company vehicle that gets the bulk of my use, so the Ram is the fun car.

Here is the average on Fuelly...

7522f96623d833f28fa4e62712b84ef4.jpg

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 177076
Spot on brother! If you want to get TRUE mpg numbers, you can't beat Fuelly...

Going from a 2.0T in my company Equinox to the 1.5T, my overall MPG increased 4mpg or so, in line with Fuelly.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with either of my Rams. It may be retirement red, but I'm just over half your age. That may have something to do with it!

395hp engine, why not use it? Expressway the cruise is set at 79-84 and both trucks have done bit of towing. Based on the above, quite a few folks like to take it slow on the expressway.

I have a company vehicle that gets the bulk of my use, so the Ram is the fun car.

Here is the average on Fuelly...

7522f96623d833f28fa4e62712b84ef4.jpg

The average you are now posting is well above the average you claimed in the post I was responding to when I suggested there may be something wrong with your trucks. The mileage you previously posted is what I get when towing a ~3500 lb trailer and sporting clay cart. I don't' care how old you are or how old you think I am, but the average mileage you previously posted is not normal. The mileage you are now posting is much closer.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The average you are now posting is well above the average you claimed in the post I was responding to when I suggested there may be something wrong with your trucks. The mileage you previously posted is what I get when towing a ~3500 lb trailer and sporting clay cart. I don't' care how old you are or how old you think I am, but the average mileage you previously posted is not normal. The mileage you are now posting is much closer.

Folks on this thread have been claiming the GM 5.3s get about 20mpg. Far from reality!

14.2 is my average vs the group average on Fuelly of 15.4 (with 759 trucks reporting). My usage is far from normal, why would I expect my mpg would be?

I drive my Ram about twice a month now (and put on less than 7k miles in the past year). Hell, a few times in the past few months I just ran it out to the gate to use the headlights or back to the barn while I built a ramp in the dark (and just let it idle to let her run a bit)...

My average mpg on the Equinox is lower than most, but it sure is fun to drive with a heavy right foot!
bbd8e6e2354d2d8f822639c97221935d.jpg

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Folks on this thread have been claiming the GM 5.3s get about 20mpg. Far from reality!

14.2 is my average vs the group average on Fuelly of 15.4 (with 759 trucks reporting). My usage is far from normal, why would I expect my mpg would be?

I drive my Ram about twice a month now (and put on less than 7k miles in the past year). Hell, a few times in the past few months I just ran it out to the gate to use the headlights or back to the barn while I built a ramp in the dark (and just let it idle to let her run a bit)...

My average mpg on the Equinox is lower than most, but it sure is fun to drive with a heavy right foot!
bbd8e6e2354d2d8f822639c97221935d.jpg
My 2018 Silverado LT with the 5.3 Ecotec3 exceeds 20 mpg on the highway.
I can NOT get 20 mpg city driving ever, typically around 17 with normal city driving, and 15 with a lead foot.
It was not uncommon to get 20 mpg on an entire tank with mix city\highway driving.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2018 Silverado LT with the 5.3 Ecotec3 exceeds 20 mpg on the highway.
I can NOT get 20 mpg city driving ever, typically around 17 with normal city driving, and 15 with a lead foot.
It was not uncommon to get 20 mpg on an entire tank with mix city\highway driving.
If GM could ever figure out how to get the pano roof in their trucks, I'd consider them for my next one...

That said, my Ram is a very heavy, loaded Limited, so given my use and specific truck I'm not surprised (or complaining) about my mileage...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If GM could ever figure out how to get the pano roof in their trucks, I'd consider them for my next one...

That said, my Ram is a very heavy, loaded Limited, so given my use and specific truck I'm not surprised (or complaining) about my mileage...
I think GM is trying to focus on making their solid roofs not crack right now LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread