5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glad to be here

Nbeck21

Reaction score
Currently in the process of purchasing a used ram. Is there anything I should look for or steer clear of? 4wd, sport appearance package, and Laramie or above are must haves. 12” screen and sunroof would be a nice addition. I’m currently closely eyeing one but it’s a 19 with 41k miles, 3.92 gear and ratio trailer brake. The hitch is actually still in the pictures so it was obviously used to tow. Should I be cautious on this one?
Thanks all!

TNRamGuy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome, no worries on the hitch IMO. Sport Laramie includes the sport/ rebel hood and paint matching grill and door handles, bunch of chrome on other trims. No hood on the bighorn level, just FYI

Nbeck21

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah the completely useless (aesthetic only I mean!) hood sealed the deal for me. That thing looks awesome. My last ram 09 had paint matched bumper and handles and I feel like that made such a huge difference and loved it.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
:cool: Welcome aboard. (y)

Always be cautious, but my number one piece of advice would be to check the rear window/headliner for any signs of leakage or cracks in the plastic (especially in line with the slider). Look for any abnormal wear on the outer edges of the front tires. Test drive it thoroughly at all speeds looking for smoothness of ride, gear changes and braking. Check the functionality of all the electronics. Listen for abnormal noise from the valve train and for leaks around the manifolds.

Research. I spent some time here before joining to become familiar with the more common possible issues to check before committing. I've only had one minor warranty repair (Rambox) and I can truly say that this is the best truck I've ever owned... and I've owned a few. 🤓

Nbeck21

Reaction score
:cool: Welcome aboard. (y)

Always be cautious, but my number one piece of advice would be to check the rear window/headliner for any signs of leakage or cracks in the plastic (especially in line with the slider). Look for any abnormal wear on the outer edges of the front tires. Test drive it thoroughly at all speeds looking for smoothness of ride, gear changes and braking. Check the functionality of all the electronics. Listen for abnormal noise from the valve train and for leaks around the manifolds.

Research. I spent some time here before joining to become familiar with the more common possible issues to check before committing. I've only had one minor warranty repair (Rambox) and I can truly say that this is the best truck I've ever owned... and I've owned a few.

Thanks this is great info. I actually had some leaking from the front of the cab headliner on my 09 and after several hundreds of gallons from a hose the mechanic literally couldn’t find a drop of water inside. Asking price for this one is right at 49k but I guess with a sticker north of 65 that’s not too terrible… prices have just been nuts lately though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread