5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting into the bed...

Heavycivil

Reaction score
Well, I've had my truck for all of 3 days and boy oh boy is it difficult to climb into the bed...my prior 2500HD had a place to insert your foot on each side of the bumper (not that you all didn't know this) but currently, mine has no insert nor deployable bed steps...I guess the mods will begin soon or than I expected. I haven't searched the forum yet but any thoughts/suggestions.

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure with his being a 3500 and what appears to still be the 4th gen style that that may not work.

badassbaldie

Reaction score
Originally, I was considering the Mopar Bed Step but felt it was WAY too overpriced. Heck, for a couple hundred dollars more, you can buy an aftermarket rear bumper with the steps built in. I had one on my 2015 Ram Sport and worked/looked great.

Anyways, I was Christmas shopping for myself online and found one of these:

1577071009786.png 1577071037022.png 1577071066667.png

It was a no-brainer for $35.88 on Amazon. Probably one of the best "cheap mods" I've done on my 2019 Rebel.

Works well, is easy to install and is very sturdy. I have two undercover swing cases and a Peragon hard bed cover. The tailgate ladder clears both and the support cable for the tailgate.

It's a great alternative to the overpriced Mopar bed step.

Hope this helps!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Originally, I was considering the Mopar Bed Step but felt it was WAY too overpriced. Heck, for a couple hundred dollars more, you can buy an aftermarket rear bumper with the steps built in. I had one on my 2015 Ram Sport and worked/looked great.

Anyways, I was Christmas shopping for myself online and found one of these:

View attachment 42373 View attachment 42374 View attachment 42375

It was a no-brainer for $35.88 on Amazon. Probably one of the best "cheap mods" I've done on my 2019 Rebel.

Works well, is easy to install and is very sturdy. I have two undercover swing cases and a Peragon hard bed cover. The tailgate ladder clears both and the support cable for the tailgate.

It's a great alternative to the overpriced Mopar bed step.

Hope this helps!
I've thought of getting one of those before but I need my tailgate clean for sliding tools, lumber and appliances in and out of the bed.

OP: I have two approaches to this:
1. I bought an $18 fold up metal platform from Harbor Freight. It fits in a storage bin when I don't need it and is either 12 or 18 inches tall, just enough to step up.
2. When I'm doing something fast and/or it's not handy, I face away from the tailgate and hop my *** up on the tailgate. Then I can just climb in.

gpbst3

Reaction score
Step on the bumper and over the tailgate. Then release the tailgate while standing in the bed.

badassbaldie

Reaction score
I've thought of getting one of those before but I need my tailgate clean for sliding tools, lumber and appliances in and out of the bed

I had the same concerns but I just move the Ladder out of the way before sliding anything on the tailgate that fits in bed. It literally takes about 4 seconds to engage/disengage.

If you have to use the tailgate for hauling (ie item doesn’t fit in bed with tailgate closed) then yes, the ladder will be rendered unusable if underneath the item you’re hauling. You can stack/slide things on it though...it’s pretty durable.

There’s also a step that fits over either of the rear tires for easy access to the bed ($22 on Jegs website):

Combine this with the bed ladder, you’re still under $70 for both.

Ram92131

Reaction score
I installed the Mopar bed step a month ago and I can’t believe I lived without it. Great mod and very easy to install.

steveved

Reaction score
This is probably the ONLY feature that I actually miss from my 2014 Silverado: the bumper side steps.

Glamdring

Reaction score
Has anyone considered adding anything to provide some more traction on the rear bumper "cut out" in front of (or is it behind?) the license plate? I was working in the bed after a rain shower and was concerned I'd slip off of it.

The higher sections of the bumper have some tread on them, but the lower section, where it's most logical to place your foot, has none. (At least on mine.) I thought about putting some adhesive-backed stair tread on there, but I'm worried how it will look in a few years. I'd love it if Mopar made a cover piece for that section with the same tread grip as the rest of the bumper.

KRField

Reaction score
Has anyone considered adding anything to provide some more traction on the rear bumper "cut out" in front of (or is it behind?) the license plate? I was working in the bed after a rain shower and was concerned I'd slip off of it.

The higher sections of the bumper have some tread on them, but the lower section, where it's most logical to place your foot, has none. (At least on mine.) I thought about putting some adhesive-backed stair tread on there, but I'm worried how it will look in a few years. I'd love it if Mopar made a cover piece for that section with the same tread grip as the rest of the bumper.

Look for some skateboard grip tape. Should hold up really well. Just clean the plastic with some diluted rubbing alcohol before applying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger482

Reaction score
This is probably the ONLY feature that I actually miss from my 2014 Silverado: the bumper side steps.
Agree, my previous 2 Silverado's had the bumper step. Simple, elegant, functional solution.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always step on the rear tire and come up over the side; that is the way I have always done it with my trucks.
That's what I do/did with my trucks without a cap. Once you put on a cap, that's out.

Someone needs to come up with a pull-out ramp that goes through the tail gate. That would be infinitely more useful than split tailgates, little steps or anything else. It wouldn't be terribly hard to engineer, either. The ramp could stow under the bed and the tailgate could have a flip-down flapper at the top and an opening at the bottom, and then just something to grab/push the ramp through the tailgate. THAT would be an option that I bet a whole lot of people would spring for.

Users who are viewing this thread