5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting caught in the rain...

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does your MPG go down when towing in the rain? Seems reasonable it would, and mine does by something like 1 mpg (3.92, 6800# TT). I know winter gas, cold wx, conditions, etc have their impact, but wondering what the rest of you in the real world experience...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Does your MPG go down when towing in the rain? Seems reasonable it would, and mine does by something like 1 mpg (3.92, 6800# TT). I know winter gas, cold wx, conditions, etc have their impact, but wondering what the rest of you in the real world experience...
Your mileage will increase if you can get it to hydroplane just a bit.....

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the summer of 1972, my wife and I were returning home from visiting friends in Williamsburg, Virginia. We were driving in our 1970 Dodge Challenger which we had purchased new. Most of the cars of that era had bias-ply tires and our vehicle, being a performance car, had 60 series tires. It was a beautiful sunny day as we tooled along the Pennsylvania Turnpike when, out of nowhere, we ran into a freak thunderstorm. The rain was really pouring down and I decided to pass an eighteen wheeler, thinking we would be able to see better without all the spray coming off of the truck. We started hydroplaning and I overcorrected causing the Challenger to do a 90 degree turn facing the center guard rail as we slid down the highway, passenger side first. Amazingly, I was able to turn the vehicle back the other way and, with a lot of fishtailing, get the car under control. The tractor-trailer truck had kept on going and there were no other vehicles around us. We never hit anything including the guard rail. Fortunately there was a service area a few miles ahead. We pulled off, went into the restaurant, settled down our nerves and waited for the rain to pass. After we got back to East Amherst, New York, it took months before I felt confident to drive again in the rain. It was a very frightening experience.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
In the summer of 1972, my wife and I were returning home from visiting friends in Williamsburg, Virginia.
One of my twins went to William and Mary and graduated in 2016. He now teaches in Williamsburg...beautiful area!

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of my twins went to William and Mary and graduated in 2016. He now teaches in Williamsburg...beautiful area!
Yes, very nice. Colonial Williamsburg is a great lesson in history!

Users who are viewing this thread