5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a Muffler Delete

STR

Reaction score
I played around w/the exhaust on a Gen 4, to include a mufflers delete. I went with the Borla S-Type on my Gen 5 and I’m done... for now. Sounds great w/negligible drone.

Those saying that the a muffler delete doesn’t drone is not accurate. Does it sound good? Yes. Does it drone? Yes. Some are more sensitive than others... and some even claim that the OEM system drones. Nonetheless, there is resonation in the cabin under load and certain RPMs w/a muffler delete... no question.

Borla, Corsa, etc., spend a lot of money on R&D to increase volume while minimizing drone. If it was as easy and throwing a straight pipe on a system and creating the same effect, then performance exhaust manufactures would be out of business.

Also, just because an exhaust is loud doesn’t necessarily mean that it sounds good. Louder isn’t always better (y)

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What a people referring to as the mid muffler? I did this where the muffler was. Did I miss something? View attachment 67880

That could be the what they mean by "mid-muffler", essentially the actual muffler. The two in the back are resonators, but they look like mufflers and then you have the longer single resonator closer to the cat.

STR

Reaction score
What a people referring to as the mid muffler? I did this where the muffler was. Did I miss something? View attachment 67880

As SD Rebel said...

I took a pic of my take-off so you can see the OEM set-up. The resonator before the muffler (after the cat) is still on the truck, although I recently read that some newly released Rams don’t have it now...
933C64F9-FF53-433A-B113-C0D99E4C4D17.jpeg

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
If you're going with a muffler delete AND keeping the resonators you should look at plugging the weep holes in them. Just had mine chopped out yesterday and didn't notice the spitting/leaking sound until I remote cold started my truck. Contacting the shop today to have it done. Other option is getting the resonators deleted too but I like the sound as is so I'm keeping them in. Just FYI.

rgenereux420

Reaction score
If you're going with a muffler delete AND keeping the resonators you should look at plugging the weep holes in them. Just had mine chopped out yesterday and didn't notice the spitting/leaking sound until I remote cold started my truck. Contacting the shop today to have it done. Other option is getting the resonators deleted too but I like the sound as is so I'm keeping them in. Just FYI.

How did yo make out on the sound? what did they do to cover up the weep holes ?

MarvsAMartian

Reaction score
How did yo make out on the sound? what did they do to cover up the weep holes ?
The shop I went to didn't want to weld them shut for me. Explained that the weep holes are there for a reason and for liability purposes the only work they'll do on it would be to chop the resonators completely off, which they don't recommend either. I trust them on that and get their point. Said they'd chop off the resonators for free if I insisted but I declined. I looked at other options (preferably non/semi permanent solutions). A lot of people on the forums in my boat went with JB Weld High Heat. I opted for a High Heat Epoxy Putty. Plugged all 4 holes easily and it's sounded great since. If I ever want to take it off I'm sure I could.

dlrsavannah

Reaction score
I did a muffler delete as well but left the resonators on. Today I’ll plug the weep holes but the truck sounds great all except for when MDS kicks on and changes the tone to crap. Now I just bypass the MDS, keep it V8 all the way.

Bassinb

Reaction score
The shop I went to didn't want to weld them shut for me. Explained that the weep holes are there for a reason and for liability purposes the only work they'll do on it would be to chop the resonators completely off, which they don't recommend either. I trust them on that and get their point. Said they'd chop off the resonators for free if I insisted but I declined. I looked at other options (preferably non/semi permanent solutions). A lot of people on the forums in my boat went with JB Weld High Heat. I opted for a High Heat Epoxy Putty. Plugged all 4 holes easily and it's sounded great since. If I ever want to take it off I'm sure I could.

Liability purposes? I imagine FCA would tell you that the stock muffler was "there for a reason" too. Sawing your exhaust off completely, but drawing the line at plugging holes in a resonator seems pretty silly.

Moparluver

Reaction score
I went with a 14" magnaflow and get a good bit of resonance (drone) from 1400-1900 RPM. I'm sure that the muffler delete has some drone as well, can anyone comment what RPM it drones at? I'm fine with drone below that, or over that. I just don't want it from 65-75 mph

Users who are viewing this thread