5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get tint strip on top windshield: yea or nay?

jastevenson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I tinted my side and back windows, but am wondering if I should also get a strip of tint on the upper part of the windshield (above the “AS1 line” is legal here).

Are you glad you got this area tinted, or did you leave it as-is. Am wondering if it will decrease my visibility.

Example:

header_1_7aa441af7f0eea682e4af32b29ced00412c6a68c.jpg

Coltonweston

Reaction score
Yes do it. I have mine done pretty low to about where the rear view mirror setup is on the windshield. Looks great from outside and does a great job blocking sun in your face

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickv1214

Reaction score
Hi all,

I tinted my side and back windows, but am wondering if I should also get a strip of tint on the upper part of the windshield (above the “AS1 line” is legal here).

Are you glad you got this area tinted, or did you leave it as-is. Am wondering if it will decrease my visibility.

Example:

Definitely worth it 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'VE NEVER DONE THE STRIP... I EITHER TINT THE FULL WINDSHIELD OR LEAVE IT ALONE, THIS VEHICLE I WENT WITH UNTINTED UP FRONT!

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased pre-cut strips from amazon and did it myself in about 20 minutes.
Great for the low Sun now during Rush hours.

Also picked up some for the Tail lights on EBAY to complete the Night edition package.

There was a order for 12 mil safety film for all the door windows, too

Malodave

KCViper

Reaction score
I personally don't like the look of a tint strip at the top, but to each their own. Have considered tinting the full windshield as many people seem to really like it and you can't tell it's even tinted but have full protection from the sun.

Tkerl

Reaction score
Hi all,

Example:

What size banner is that?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Being tall and looking more out the top of the windshield I wouldn't get it as I think it would drive me crazy having that cut off line right in my field of vision.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Seems like a waste of money to me. I just pull down the visor if the sun is in my eyes. 🤷‍♂️

KPeak

Reaction score
I’ve got my windshield tinted at 50% and it’s absolutely perfect, I don’t need to wear sunglasses anymore in the truck and rarely have to put the visor down. If I could do it over I’d go with 40 or 35%. Driving at night isn’t an issue either.

The big misconception is that the darker tint is dark on both sides and that is not true at all. High quality tint will barely look darker when looking out but it shows when looking in. I think the shop I had it done at uses 3M crystalline series tint.

RAL

Reaction score
No.

I don't like the look (subjective) and I don't want anyone messing with the truck or getting anything wet or otherwise screwed up during the install.

Finally, I would always keep good sunglasses (corrective if needed) in the car.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I've tinted my entire windshield at 70% and also done the strip along the top. I get the argument against tinting the whole window but the top strip is definitely a thumbs up from me.

RAL

Reaction score
Additional thought is to check the laws where you live. The strip across the top is probably OK, but you never know. Tinting whole front windshield likely illegal. I know enforcing the motor vehicle laws is now considered equivalent to state-sanctioned racism in many jurisdictions, but it would stink to learn a hard lesson either during a stop or if you live in a state where periodic safety/compliance inspections are required.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Additional thought is to check the laws where you live. The strip across the top is probably OK, but you never know. Tinting whole front windshield likely illegal. I know enforcing the motor vehicle laws is now considered equivalent to state-sanctioned racism in many jurisdictions, but it would stink to learn a hard lesson either during a stop or if you live in a state where periodic safety/compliance inspections are required.
Yup, exactly…
Hawaii only allows a strip, not to exceed 6 inches in width. But there are tons of tinted windshields on the road. I work on base, so don't need the added attention. PMO will tag illegal cars when they have nothing better to do.
I went with a limo strip across my windshield. Installer stated he could do it, but would not warranty the work because it’s illegal here. Add in the chance of frying something from all the water, nah, I’m good.

I get free yearly state inspections from the dealer, so keeping it as “legal” as possible is required. My A/C works just fine, so no biggie.
I used to know a shop that would pretty much pass every car, no matter illegal or not. Needless to say, things have changed and that shop no longer does state inspections. Go figure…

Users who are viewing this thread