5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gen 5 tail light bar

Bullofthewoods

Reaction score
Has anyone ever attempted or thought about mounting a 60 inch bar to the bottom of the tail gate instead of trying to attempting to get around all of the humps and bumps on the mounting surface under the tailgate.

Loudram

Reaction score
One guy on YouTube mounted a 48" bar and he said it fit between the bumps. It looked pretty good.
I tried looking for the video but I couldn't find it.

bcfd29

Reaction score
Has anyone ever attempted or thought about mounting a 60 inch bar to the bottom of the tail gate instead of trying to attempting to get around all of the humps and bumps on the mounting surface under the tailgate.
did you ever finish your mount? same issues here and looking for advise. no place to fit a 60" bar under the tailgate with the cable connector and protrusions in the plastic filler panel.

Bullofthewoods

Reaction score
did you ever finish your mount? same issues here and looking for advise. no place to fit a 60" bar under the tailgate with the cable connector and protrusions in the plastic filler panel.
Not yet. I have seen videos on YouTube but it looks like the tailgate will hit when lowering. They have the 2 18 inch lights but I prefer the 60 inch. I could modify the plastic piece but I'd rather not do that.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You would just need to measure it. Maybe cut a piece of wood the same as the strip (doesn't need to be 60 inches) and put it on your truck with masking tape and make sure it clears.
I have mounted light bars in weird ways before with no problems (except the terrible build quality of OTP 7 bars)

Wellstep

Reaction score
I did a OPT-7 60" on mine I used the metal mounting clips that came with it and then some black nylon spacers from Amazon the panel is just plastic so drilled the plastic and used stainless screws has been on there and been perfect for 6 months. I am not sure if it makes a difference but I have the multifunction tailgate which I think actually has less space. The one issue that I had and was annoying is that the metal clips from OPT-7 already rusted pretty good. They sent me another set that I primed and painted. Also got a sheet of thin stainless and may make new one out of stainless or plastic. I will see if I can get some pictures it just clears the tailgate when you open and sits on the bumps without having to cut the plastic like I have seen others do.

kearnsc88

Reaction score
I also installed the OPT-7 60 inch about two weeks ago. I used stainless steel nuts behind the metal clips and mounted the entire light bar flush with the humps. It came out perfect, does not hit the tailgate and looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I also installed the OPT-7 60 inch about two weeks ago. I used stainless steel nuts behind the metal clips and mounted the entire light bar flush with the humps. It came out perfect, does not hit the tailgate and looks great.

Pics?

kearnsc88

Reaction score
b7db911c631d9e32bf89f7e633bb075b.jpg

ba031204a001ff1feba5b3252c779277.jpg

2e258a1698f278e06e1a93a9f9dc8217.jpg

bbf42095727dab8db3ad9d675905207f.jpg

Opt-7 Lightbar and i used supplied metal clips and screws. I put a washer behind to push out the light at to match the humps. I also purchased a curt adapter which i connected to the rear of the trailer light plug in. That allowed me to gain power without having to splice into any factory wiring. Also used the middle white wire on the curt adapter to connect to the white wire on opt-7 which provided me with reverse lights. Completely reversible without touching the factory wiring/taillight.

kearnsc88

Reaction score

This is a video I found which helped me with my install. I modified accordingly.

Jray22

Reaction score
Like others the Opt7 @ Putco blade will fit. I think it’s because they are narrower than others I’ve seen on the market. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread