5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gears

AE_Ram19

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the front gears can be changed in the 19’s, or is it still a solid unit? I have the 3.21’s and am wanting the 3.92 if it’s reasonable

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately you have to swap the whole front differential. I am in the same boat. There is a 3.92 unit on eBay for about $775 right now.

mikedscott

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the front gears can be changed in the 19’s, or is it still a solid unit? I have the 3.21’s and am wanting the 3.92 if it’s reasonable
I don’t have an answer for you but man do I feel the same.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Having done gear swaps in previous vehicles, I can tell you it's just not worth it anymore. On old cars where it was easy, and re-calibrating the speedometer meant inserting a new speedometer gear into the transmission, it wasn't that bad. But now, you'll spend a couple thousand on the gears with the labor to install (or more in this case since you need the whole front diff). Then you'll need to get a tune to correct the speedometer, which with a lot of new cars requires a new computer or at least one that's been cracked into to accept a tune. I wouldn't personally want to spend the money it would take once done, let alone risk losing my warranty. The cost and risk seem to far outweigh the reward. Just my two cents.

SColang22

Reaction score
This has been covered in 100 other forums. Just use the search bar.

vincent3000

Reaction score
I agree that the subjet has been covered before may times, but the replies are about if is it worth it or not, cost wise, and alternatives. I would like to know if anyone has done it on a 2019 and if the computer is able to cope with the swap.

SColang22

Reaction score
I agree that the subjet has been covered before may times, but the replies are about if is it worth it or not, cost wise, and alternatives. I would like to know if anyone has done it on a 2019 and if the computer is able to cope with the swap.
100% requires the computer to be changed

Txram13

Reaction score
I swapped mine to 392s went to wrecking yard bought front for $750 it was easy swap then had gears installed at gear shop in Haltom city for $1000 it did not effect my computer and it runs a lot better it definitely has more power

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I swapped mine to 392s went to wrecking yard bought front for $750 it was easy swap then had gears installed at gear shop in Haltom city for $1000 it did not effect my computer and it runs a lot better it definitely has more power
Did the shop have to adjust anything for your speedometer to read correct speeds or anything?

Users who are viewing this thread