5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gear mistake???

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow for all that and since I don’t have any cash in the current situation may just wait or reorder

Yeah, that is an option. I know stock is limited right now, but did you have a chance to test drive different trucks at the dealership, maybe find a couple of similar spec with a 3.21 & 3.92 and see if you notice enough to change your mind?

Sarge48

Reaction score
All of us here will recommend a RAM of course but we'll still tell you our honest opinions regarding any situation. Personally I like my 3.21 gearing...some people dont like it. It's all preference based on what you want
Are you running stock tires or bigger? Any lift or level?

Sarge48

Reaction score
Yeah, that is an option. I know stock is limited right now, but did you have a chance to test drive different trucks at the dealership, maybe find a couple of similar spec with a 3.21 & 3.92 and see if you notice enough to change your mind?
I did but didn’t pay that much attention to it at the time.but didn’t find out till recent and the 3.92 being a little quicker at the jump and especially since I would be going to a 34in tire that the 3.92 in most people’s opinion state that the 3.92 would be better for turning a larger tire

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did but didn’t pay that much attention to it at the time.but didn’t find out till recent and the 3.92 being a little quicker at the jump and especially since I would be going to a 34in tire that the 3.92 in most people’s opinion state that the 3.92 would be better for turning a larger tire

Without a doubt it's going to be better option for larger tires, no one will deny that.

Nibis

Reaction score
Don't forget if you change the rear gearing, you have to change the front too, that makes it more expensive. If you plan on bigger tires, then get the 3.92

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't forget if you change the rear gearing, you have to change the front too, that makes it more expensive. If you plan on bigger tires, then get the 3.92

This right here, if you must have the 3.92 gearing your are better off getting a truck with it. I’ve read that changing the rear is pretty straight forward but changing the gearing in the front axle is more difficult. You’re looking at thousands to change both.

That being said, you wouldn’t notice a difference from stock putting on a level and going to 34” tires. I had 2019 Ram Hemi Crew Cab 4x4 with the 6’-4” box and 3.21 gears that I leveled and put 33” tires on and couldn’t tell any difference from the stock tires. You need to go test drive a truck with the 3.92 and 3.21 and see the difference. IMO if 95% of the time this truck is just going to be a driver you Absolutely don’t need 3.92 gears. In fact you may like the 3.21 better. It’s nice being able to cruise down the highway at 75mph spinning at only 1,800rpm. But’s that’s why you need to drive both to find out what you like.

I‘ll be putting roughly 25k miles a year on my ecodiesel I have now, 20k of that is just driving back and forth to work the other 5k or so will be pulling our RV fish house. I have the 3.92 gears now and to be honest I would have rather had the 3.21. But the deal I got on the Ecodiesel was so good I decided to get it anyways.

Last edited:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
look...I just did a 4700 mile road trip from Mass to Colorado, SD, Wyoming, and back, towing #6000 pounds of travel trailer and cargo, with 3:21's..towed like a dream, no problem at-all. Since I will only tow my travel trailer 4-5 times a year, and hardly ever do that kind of trip again, I am VERY happy I have the 3:21's...."oh, but 3:92's are a little quicker off the line"...ya? not when you have a Pedal Commander installed. If i put my PC in Sport Plus, the truck feels like it's gonna do a wheelie off the line! lol...my advice, take the 3:21's since you won't be hauling bull-dozers like they show in commercials...you'll be fine.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have a 2021 ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 about to show up that I ordered in July my dealer said I could get 3:55 gear ratio so that’s what I thought I was getting ( didn’t know nor did he that only 3:21 or 3:92 was available with 5.7 hemi non etorque) I found out today that it was built with 3:21 ratio which is ok acct I rarely haul anything heavier than an atv.I’m going to have installed a 2inch level kit and 34 inch tall toyo rt’s (295/70/18’s)My question is this going to be a problem with down shifting and sluggishness acct not having the 3:92 gear ratio. Don’t want make a mistake here. Never owned a Ram so I want to of course know the truth. Would this or should this be a deal breaker
You'll be fine with the 295's

Sarge48

Reaction score
Went today and tested both 3.21 and 3.92 and did go with the 3.92 I’m the type I’d have been disappointed if I didn’t try both. Also they had every opt. I was looking for ( of course I had to order it) but I don’t mind waiting like that for what I really would like. Good folk to work with a got a really good deal.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
You’ll be fine, as many folks have already said, unless you’re towing heavier loads. Even so, a few folks here do and are still happy with it.

Cheers,

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have a 2021 ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 about to show up that I ordered in July my dealer said I could get 3:55 gear ratio so that’s what I thought I was getting ( didn’t know nor did he that only 3:21 or 3:92 was available with 5.7 hemi non etorque) I found out today that it was built with 3:21 ratio which is ok acct I rarely haul anything heavier than an atv.I’m going to have installed a 2inch level kit and 34 inch tall toyo rt’s (295/70/18’s)My question is this going to be a problem with down shifting and sluggishness acct not having the 3:92 gear ratio. Don’t want make a mistake here. Never owned a Ram so I want to of course know the truth. Would this or should this be a deal breaker
If you rarely haul I think you'll like the 3.21 axle. I had 3.92s in my last two Ram 1500s and transmission shifts are equally smooth on my '19 with the 3.21 diff.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 040144 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread