5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gear mistake???

Sarge48

Reaction score
Have a 2021 ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 about to show up that I ordered in July my dealer said I could get 3:55 gear ratio so that’s what I thought I was getting ( didn’t know nor did he that only 3:21 or 3:92 was available with 5.7 hemi non etorque) I found out today that it was built with 3:21 ratio which is ok acct I rarely haul anything heavier than an atv.I’m going to have installed a 2inch level kit and 34 inch tall toyo rt’s (295/70/18’s)My question is this going to be a problem with down shifting and sluggishness acct not having the 3:92 gear ratio. Don’t want make a mistake here. Never owned a Ram so I want to of course know the truth. Would this or should this be a deal breaker

U

User_3336

you're screwed.

Just kidding (or not??).

You will experience a lot of gear hunting. Specifically 6-7-8. The bigger tires doesn't help.

But, although annoying, you should be able to tow anything you need.

Last edited by a moderator:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No, plenty of guys here have that axle ratio without much of an issue, even after a level and 35". Not like something you can't change if it you find it too sluggish later on.

U

User_3336

Can you imagine a REBEL with a 3.21 gear ratio?

No, plenty of guys here have that axle ratio without much of an issue, even after a level and 35". Not like something you can't change if it you find it too sluggish later on.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Can you imagine a REBEL with a 3.21 gear ratio?

I've driven my buddys Laramie who has 35" A/Ts and to be honest, it didn't feel that much slower than mine, he has 3.21 axle. The difference was the mpg, he was getting about 2 mpg better than me even with the larger rubber and his speedo is corrected.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will be just fine. Without the big tow/haul need, you’re better off.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have a 2021 ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 about to show up that I ordered in July my dealer said I could get 3:55 gear ratio so that’s what I thought I was getting ( didn’t know nor did he that only 3:21 or 3:92 was available with 5.7 hemi non etorque) I found out today that it was built with 3:21 ratio which is ok acct I rarely haul anything heavier than an atv.I’m going to have installed a 2inch level kit and 34 inch tall toyo rt’s (295/70/18’s)My question is this going to be a problem with down shifting and sluggishness acct not having the 3:92 gear ratio. Don’t want make a mistake here. Never owned a Ram so I want to of course know the truth. Would this or should this be a deal breaker
You could haul 2 ATVs and won't notice any difference. 3.92 is for serious pulling. Granted 3.55 is a great ratio to have...I'm perfectly satisfied with my 3.21...pulled my buddy's ATV trailer loaded with 2 ATVs and gear ..I barely noticed them compared to some of the Chevys I've driven in the past

Nibis

Reaction score
My 3.21 is fine, sometimes I wish I had the 3.92 for spirited driving, but enjoy the MPG as my daily commute is about 70 miles. Stock size tires, so I don't know how 35's would do

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
With 34" tires, I would want 3.92. My advice is to not settle for something that isn't exactly what you want since the dealer gave you misinformation.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since you’re not towing or hauling much you’re better off with the 3.21 gears. That being said I would definitely work the dealer for something considering the salesmen is an idiot just like most of them and doesn’t know anything about what he is selling. I still don’t understand how a salesmen could not know stuff like this. If I were you I would work them for a tonneau cover or some step bars or something like that.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 3.21 and 3.92 are the same ratios except for the 1st gear and last gear. You really won't notice a difference except at speed or needing to get a heavy load moving a smidge easier. The 3.21 gives a taller final drive so you do get a rpm decrease at highway speeds and better mpg.

Sarge48

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. I ain’t got to have it. Won’t cost me nothing to walk away. And certainly don’t want to feel like I’m settling for something when making payments

U

User_3336

You need to get all the options you want and not settle for anything less. I've settled for "the truck that was in front of me", when later wish I had got "that option" or waited.

If you have no deposit or payment on this truck, and feel its not the PERFECT one, walk away.

Thank you all for your input. I ain’t got to have it. Won’t cost me nothing to walk away. And certainly don’t want to feel like I’m settling for something when making payments

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All of us here will recommend a RAM of course but we'll still tell you our honest opinions regarding any situation. Personally I like my 3.21 gearing...some people dont like it. It's all preference based on what you want

Sarge48

Reaction score
How mucvh of an issue is it to change?

SD Rebel

Reaction score
How mucvh of an issue is it to change?

It's not exactly cheap, but relatively common. Recently had my Ford Ranger changed from 3.55 to 4.10 after switching to much larger tires. It cost me $600 in parts and labor. Maybe cheaper in this case because I also bought a overhaul kit for the differential that included new bearings that may not be required for a such a new truck.

You can buy the Mopar OEM 3.92 ring & pinion, which I think are about $350. There are probably aftermarket options as well that are cheaper and would allow other ratios like the 3.55 or 3.73 for example.

Of course the gear change will necessitate a speedo correction, so they does open up a small can of worms for you should you decide to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread