5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Tank Skid Plate Rattle

mpurkey

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with the skid plate surrounding the gas tank rattling? I've noticed a rattle sort of like a heat shield on occasion when I close the drivers side door and a few times at certain low speeds that I can not replicate easily on demand. I crawled under the truck yesterday banged on the skid plate with my hand and think the rattle is coming from there. Just can't yet figure out exactly where or why... I searched the forum but didn't see anything,,,

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe just check all your bolts and clamps that you can see and make sure they are tight. Your tips will also occasionally rattle if they are too tight up in your bumper. They are easy to adjust. You might need to get underneath and have someone open and close the door a few thousand times. Can be tricky tracking these things down sometimes.

Zebber

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. The front of the skid plate has a hole in it for a bolt to the frame but there was nothing in it nor a place on the frame to bolt it too. I made a spacer for it, drilled and tapped a hole in the frame and bolted it down,, no more rattling or vibrations. Why Ram didn't bolt this part to the frame is beyond me. I thought I took pictures of the fix but I can't find them.

mpurkey

Reaction score
I had the same problem with mine. The front of the skid plate has a hole in it for a bolt to the frame but there was nothing in it nor a place on the frame to bolt it too. I made a spacer for it, drilled and tapped a hole in the frame and bolted it down,, no more rattling or vibrations. Why Ram didn't bolt this part to the frame is beyond me. I thought I took pictures of the fix but I can't find them.

Thanks for the reply and info. I’ll check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread