5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Mileage

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
$92 for 16 gal @ $5.75
tried last week to eased on my heavy foot but its not fun to drive and it didn't really make all that much difference - too much city driving is what kills my mpg
I am going back to driving the way I enjoy my truck
we are some what screw regardless of our choice for the next few years probably
gas is gonna stay high
some ev's are being marked up even higher than gas cars, 12k, 20k and up if they are even available. not to mentioned the grid is not gonna handle things. I see Texas is in trouble again and here in CA we'll probably be seeing black outs in some areas once the heat waves start to come around
Yup. Good luck over there in that crazy state.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Someone is triggered, lol.

Nope, just responding to a report with a little nudge instead of just nuking the thread.

Either side makes no compelling argument when it's just hyperbolic party rhetoric. He's not wrong on some points, it's just not appropriate in this thread IMHO.

Those kinds of posts just tend to fill up the report queue and run the threads off the rails.

To be fair, that's been a rule for what, like a week?

A lot of folks probably don't even know about it yet.

You're right, it was, and to be fair, the last edit date wasn't cleared/reset as it could have been. ;)

Rules HAVE changed and the site ownership would prefer the political discourse be limited to the OT forums. It's been an unwritten rule in the past, now it's carved in stone.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You're right, it was, and to be fair, the last edit date wasn't cleared/reset as it could have been. ;)
Lol, not sure what you think that would accomplish?
Rules HAVE changed and the site ownership would prefer the political discourse be limited to the OT forums. It's been an unwritten rule in the past, now it's carved in stone.
Cool. Just pointing out that it's a bit unreasonable to expect everyone to have seen it or to be aware of these unwritten rules.

rzims

Reaction score
I've just turned 75k miles and I love this truck as much as the day I bought it. Running up and down the state and average between 15-17mpg with combo hwy and city driving. When we tow the travel trailer its closer to 12mpg.
I try to be gentle on the skinny pedal, but I'm not always successful. Its definitely painful filling this pig up and I'm spending about 600/month.....still wouldn't drive an EV....
Not sure how this EV push is going to work when PGE can't keep the grid up as it is...

mysticbus

Reaction score
I've just turned 75k miles and I love this truck as much as the day I bought it. Running up and down the state and average between 15-17mpg with combo hwy and city driving. When we tow the travel trailer its closer to 12mpg.
I try to be gentle on the skinny pedal, but I'm not always successful. Its definitely painful filling this pig up and I'm spending about 600/month.....still wouldn't drive an EV....
Not sure how this EV push is going to work when PGE can't keep the grid up as it is...

Attachments

• C1A852A6-C0B0-4929-9998-95AA3816BBC1.png
    C1A852A6-C0B0-4929-9998-95AA3816BBC1.png
    584.3 KB · Views: 61

timman01

Reaction score
I'm averaging between 17 and 19 combined. But, mostly driving in-town. Avg MPG.jpg

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did some mileage testing over the weekend, drove Dallas to San Antonio at 80 mph netted me 20.5 mpg, no cruise control.

Filled up today at QuickTrip with 90 octane none ethanol and drove to Corpus Christi.
75 mph with ACC on, I averaged 20 mph over 140 miles with a 5-10 mph headwind.
Reset the trip odometer and drove back to San Antonio, same fuel and speed of 75 mph but now with a 5-10 mph tailwind and averaged 21 mph for the 1st 40 miles.

After 40 miles, I dropped my speed by 1 mph and the insrant fuel mpg went from 21 to 23-24 mpg. My average fuel mileage started to increase and in 20 miles my average had climbed to 22.7 mpg at 74 mph and remained their unitl I made it back to SA. Once in SA, I turned off ACC and drove the truck, mpg increased to 22.8 mpg showed 24 mpg on the instant mpg

Tomorrow, I'll drive back to Dallas but I'll drive with no ACC and suspect that I can see 23 possibly 24 mpg at 74 mph.

None ethanol seemed to make zero difference in mpg and cruise controls aggressivness appears to consume more fuel.
What I've noticed is that cruise unnecessarily causes the truck to down shift when climbing some grades.
I also noticed that when I drive and don't use CC/ACC I can climb the same grades and maintain my mph without the trans downshifting.
I believe that the CC is too aggressive at holding speed when on a grade dropping into 7th gear and that's where the difference in mpg come from between me driving vs ACC.

Another thing i noticed is that my mileage is significantly lower at 65-69 mph vs 70-80 mph. 80 mph actually results in slightly better mpg than 65 mph

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did some mileage testing over the weekend, drove Dallas to San Antonio at 80 mph netted me 20.5 mpg, no cruise control.

Filled up today at QuickTrip with 90 octane none ethanol and drove to Corpus Christi.
75 mph with ACC on, I averaged 20 mph over 140 miles with a 5-10 mph headwind.
Reset the trip odometer and drove back to San Antonio, same fuel and speed of 75 mph but now with a 5-10 mph tailwind and averaged 21 mph for the 1st 40 miles.

After 40 miles, I dropped my speed by 1 mph and the insrant fuel mpg went from 21 to 23-24 mpg. My average fuel mileage started to increase and in 20 miles my average had climbed to 22.7 mpg at 74 mph and remained their unitl I made it back to SA. Once in SA, I turned off ACC and drove the truck, mpg increased to 22.8 mpg showed 24 mpg on the instant mpg

Tomorrow, I'll drive back to Dallas but I'll drive with no ACC and suspect that I can see 23 possibly 24 mpg at 74 mph.

None ethanol seemed to make zero difference in mpg and cruise controls aggressivness appears to consume more fuel.
What I've noticed is that cruise unnecessarily causes the truck to down shift when climbing some grades.
I also noticed that when I drive and don't use CC/ACC I can climb the same grades and maintain my mph without the trans downshifting.
I believe that the CC is too aggressive at holding speed when on a grade dropping into 7th gear and that's where the difference in mpg come from between me driving vs ACC.

Another thing i noticed is that my mileage is significantly lower at 65-69 mph vs 70-80 mph. 80 mph actually results in slightly better mpg than 65 mph
Where did you find 90 octane and ethanol free fuel in TX?
I've only ever seen odd numbers, never even numbers.

BowDown

Reaction score
Where did you find 90 octane and ethanol free fuel in TX?
I've only ever seen odd numbers, never even numbers.
OuickTrip in San Antonio 90 octane, red handle pump

Wasn't looking for it, just stopped at QT because they sell top tier fuel, they happened to have it

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
How much did it cost you? I just put some in my bike yesterday, $5.60 a gal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread