5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Mileage

Jdru66

Reaction score
Anyone out there with a 5th gen v8 4x4 who can give me an average idea of gas mileage. I find the window stickers never to be right. I’m looking at a Laramie crew cab. I love he truck but my GMC Sierra I get 18-20 mpg. I live in western pa with some hills I’m about 50/50 city/highway. I am just trying to judge how a new ram would compare. Thanks in advance for any help.

R

Rob5589

There are some threads floating around regarding mpg. Generally, 15-19 seems average, depending on how and where you drive. 3.21 seems to do a bit better than the 3.92.

Sullyman

Reaction score
Just under 4 weeks ago went from a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L Quad cab 4WD to a 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel Quad cab 4WD with 5.7 Etorque. Live in Montana where posted Interstate speed limit is 80 mph. Obtained a tare weight over time for both trucks which are within in 120 pounds of each other (Denali 6,260 pounds, Ram 6,140 pounds). Ram salesman told me Ram Rebel 5.7 Etorque would hit 22 mpg highway rating listed on window sticker. Took him at his word. Traded in Sierra Denali on Ram Rebel. Sierra Denali had approximately 8,000 miles at time of trade in. Ram Rebel currently has 1,000 miles (mostly highway miles). At 80 mph (combined flat and hills driving on highways) Sierra Denali averaged 22.5 mpg. At 70 to 75 mph on same highways Ram Rebel so far averages 15.7 mpg. Disappointed in Ram mpg so far, big difference in mpg between the two trucks.

kittyjo

Reaction score
Just under 4 weeks ago went from a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L Quad cab 4WD to a 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel Quad cab 4WD with 5.7 Etorque. Live in Montana where posted Interstate speed limit is 80 mph. Obtained a tare weight over time for both trucks which are within in 120 pounds of each other (Denali 6,260 pounds, Ram 6,140 pounds). Ram salesman told me Ram Rebel 5.7 Etorque would hit 22 mpg highway rating listed on window sticker. Took him at his word. Traded in Sierra Denali on Ram Rebel. Sierra Denali had approximately 8,000 miles at time of trade in. Ram Rebel currently has 1,000 miles (mostly highway miles). At 80 mph (combined flat and hills driving on highways) Sierra Denali averaged 22.5 mpg. At 70 to 75 mph on same highways Ram Rebel so far averages 15.7 mpg. Disappointed in Ram mpg so far, big difference in mpg between the two trucks.
Give it time it’s just getting broken in... it will improve with time. I get 22mpg on highway at same speed.

Sullyman

Reaction score
I am hoping so. Love looks and interior of the Ram as well as how it drives. Why I made the jump from GMC to Ram. GMC 6.2L engine is a fantastic engine. Last two GMC Sierra 6.2Ls I’ve owned (2015 and 2018) got 22 mpg on highway. I will be ecstatic if Ram Rebel gets close to that figure. I would be happy with 20 mpg.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone out there with a 5th gen v8 4x4 who can give me an average idea of gas mileage. I find the window stickers never to be right. I’m looking at a Laramie crew cab. I love he truck but my GMC Sierra I get 18-20 mpg. I live in western pa with some hills I’m about 50/50 city/highway. I am just trying to judge how a new ram would compare. Thanks in advance for any help.
Visit Fuelie to see the average of hundreds of 5th gens. You can sort by engine, etc. Click on the link in my signature to start.

Sullyman

Reaction score
Speedy V thanks! Ouch, from the data in the Fuelly link you provided it looks like I will be lucky to hit 17 mpg on the highway.

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
message to OP- fuel economy is not the best with the hemi for sure.
IMO they should be ashamed of using the same EPA fuel ratings for all the trims with same engine.(rebel 4x4 same as big horn 2wd?). the 3.92 does not get 22mpg highway (70mph) unless my truck is defective.. this is my second one Ram 1500 hemi. last was a 14' on 35"s.
Clearly the weather, suspension/tire mods, traffic conditions, wind, driving habits and hills all skew the MPG numbers in identical trucks and ratios. I've noticed my best MPG over this last year is in 65-80 degree weather (some of our spring and fall seasons). In "florida winter" (40-60 degree mornings) i noticed clearly lower mpg on same route. maybe 1-3MPG lost (longer warmup time and short drives) . the florida summer I blast the AC and e-torque is turned off for max a/c, so no stop light fuel saving.
If we used the "Current MPG" reading while using cruise control at 5mph increments on the flattest road you can find AFTER the oil/trans temp are warmed up we could compare apples to apples/trims to trims/gassers to eco's! (make sure your speedometer is accurate or your #'s might be off!!)
i'd have to redo this test myself for 99% accuracy but if i recall correctly 35mph- around 35mpg 65mph-24-26mpg 70mph-18-19mpg on a big horn crew cab 4x4 - 5.7 hemi e-torque with 3.92 gears and 23 gallon tank empty on nearly all flat roads.
I get my best fuel economy at around 40mph its usually at around 37MPG on the current MPG readout!
grab pen and paper. lay out 25,30,35,40,45,50,55,60,65,70mph or w/e and record your numbers and post it.
As far as tank to tank MPG I managed 15.9mpg last week with hand calculation and a slight lead foot (truck read 16.3) with all city and backroads and some tri-hull pontoon towing on weekends. 6k miles on truck now.
(for more precise #'s drive in both directions and average the 2, this should negate the wind factor, add the conditions and outside temperatures to compare to others )

Last edited:

Klute

Reaction score

You believed a salesman?

Brad460

Reaction score
Very happy with my fuel economy- better than expected! Took me 3 hours to go 210 miles (this included one stop) so I was doing 75-80 mph the whole way home..

My previous truck (2010 Toyota Tundra) was 14.5 mph. This is a huge improvement..

Capture.JPG

Jdru66

Reaction score
Very happy with my fuel economy- better than expected! Took me 3 hours to go 210 miles (this included one stop) so I was doing 75-80 mph the whole way home..

My previous truck (2010 Toyota Tundra) was 14.5 mph. This is a huge improvement..

View attachment 35163
Thanks I went from tundra to GMC and a main reason was fuel economy and I liked the GMC. I really really like the new ram interior but I do not want to go back to 13 mpg. I want to get 400 miles out of a tank of gas. That equates to 17.4 mpg. I currently average 18 in my 15 GMC 5.3L.

Brad460

Reaction score
Thanks I went from tundra to GMC and a main reason was fuel economy and I liked the GMC. I really really like the new ram interior but I do not want to go back to 13 mpg. I want to get 400 miles out of a tank of gas. That equates to 17.4 mpg. I currently average 18 in my 15 GMC 5.3L.

My father-in-law has a 2018 Chevy 5.3L and he is getting similar MPG as my Ram so I wouldn't worry about taking a step backwards on MPG.

If you're doing any towing, the Ram is better. Towing the same boat, my Ram gets a consistent 11.8 MPG and my father-in-laws 2018 Chevy 5.3L was under 10MPG.

TWRam

Reaction score
5.7 E-torque 4x4 crew 20" wheels 3.92. I average 17.5 commute, around town, some highway, sitting in traffic. Average 18.5 at 80 MPH for a few hundred miles. I can average 21-23 on back roads between 50-65 with some stop and go. I recently switched from 89 octane to 87 and saw little difference in MPG, less than 10%. Didn't make sense to spend 20% more on 89 octane to get less than 10% increase in FE. I just towed my 12' open utility trailer with mesh gate/ramp and averaged 12MPG for a few hundred miles at various speeds and hills. I am quite happy with my MPG numbers during my normal commute. Getting stuck in stopped traffic kills the avg MPG. I am less than impressed with the MPG with the small utility trailer, but I suppose it does have a lot of windage with the mesh ramp sticking up. The Ram gets better fuel economy than my wife's old 2015 explorer with the 3.5 V6 and better FE than any other full size truck I have owned.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm at about 16 mpg right now, though I hardly call 2 tanks and under 1k miles a good indication of average. Current(3rd) tank the EVIC is saying ~17.
I'm mostly 2 lanes at 40-45, and some stop lights.

TFL did a comparison test with a Ram Rebel and the results were as expected, a truck which is slightly lifted, has more aggresive tires, 4x4 and has shorter gears gets worse mileage than the window sticker. @Panhandle Ram hit it on the head, they did minimal MPG certifications and then plastered it over everything else.
IIRC the other truck(GM?) was more accurate because they had actually certified the MPG for that specific configuration.

R

Rob5589

I posted a thread in this section on how they test. Basically, driving to get the most mpg, nothing like real world driving. All in a controlled environment with mathematical calculations to account for environmental conditions. And they use the same mpg across the board, although they test with only one configuration.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A big part of MPG is how you drive. I get around 15 when I drive listening to heavy metal :devilish: and around 19 when listening to Jazz and classic rock... :giggle:(y)

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Stay away from Rebels with 33" tires and 3.92 standard rear axle and you should be fine. I'm lucky to break 17 mpg on the highway, on the same cycle I would get 21 mpg on my F150 Ecoboost.

With mostly city driving I'm at 10 mpg, with mixed at about 14 mpg. If you get the 3.21 and regular street tires, I think you can add about 2-3 mpg to my average.

spaightlabs

Reaction score
It's weird that if you look at the aggregated number son Fuelly the GMC with the 6.2 seems to have a pretty big concentration of 15/16/17 mpg results...

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm at 12.5K miles and with mixed driving (about 1/2 and 1/2) I get in the low 15's. Obviously with more highway miles that number goes up and vice versa (my highway driving is 65-70 mph).

My truck seems to like gas from 76 (89 octane) and Costco (91 octane). I consistently get about .5+ mpg better (around 16 mpg overall) if I stick with those stations.

Conversely, I ran a couple of tanks of 87 octane to see if it made a difference. The truck felt a little down on power and I got mid- to high-14's mpg overall.

My truck is a crew cab, short bed, 4x4 (ORP), 3.21 rear, and no eTorque so is not light by any means.

Just my .02

Brad460

Reaction score
I'm at 12.5K miles and with mixed driving (about 1/2 and 1/2) I get in the low 15's. Obviously with more highway miles that number goes up and vice versa (my highway driving is 65-70 mph).

My truck seems to like gas from 76 (89 octane) and Costco (91 octane). I consistently get about .5+ mpg better (around 16 mpg overall) if I stick with those stations.

Conversely, I ran a couple of tanks of 87 octane to see if it made a difference. The truck felt a little down on power and I got mid- to high-14's mpg overall.

My truck is a crew cab, short bed, 4x4 (ORP), 3.21 rear, and no eTorque so is not light by any means.

Just my .02

If an engine is designed and tuned to run on 87, running on 89 or 91 isn’t gonna give you more HP or fuel economy.

In fact, 87 octane has more energy (BTUs) than 91 octane.

A rich burn engine (staciometric) runs most efficient right on the edge of knocking...a higher octane gas than “tuned for” will move the engine further away from knocking = less efficient.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread