5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Mileage

R

Rob5589

I'm at 12.5K miles and with mixed driving (about 1/2 and 1/2) I get in the low 15's. Obviously with more highway miles that number goes up and vice versa (my highway driving is 65-70 mph).

My truck seems to like gas from 76 (89 octane) and Costco (91 octane). I consistently get about .5+ mpg better (around 16 mpg overall) if I stick with those stations.

Conversely, I ran a couple of tanks of 87 octane to see if it made a difference. The truck felt a little down on power and I got mid- to high-14's mpg overall.

My truck is a crew cab, short bed, 4x4 (ORP), 3.21 rear, and no eTorque so is not light by any means.

Just my .02
It is crazy how varied it is from truck to truck. I have the same as yours but with the 6.4' bed. Using only Arco 87 octane, I haven't gotten worse than 17.8; 3500+ miles, mixed driving. Been averaging 18.8 with a best of 19.7 with almost all hwy on that tank. For sure around town the mileage drops off noticeably.

On another note, can't wait to get back to SD for some Pizzeria Luigi crime scene pie. Love that pie!

Last edited by a moderator:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If an engine is designed and tuned to run on 87, running on 89 or 91 isn’t gonna give you more HP or fuel economy.

In fact, 87 octane has more energy (BTUs) than 91 octane.

A rich burn engine (staciometric) runs most efficient right on the edge of knocking...a higher octane gas than “tuned for” will move the engine further away from knocking = less efficient.
Ours are designed and tuned to run on 89.

Klute

Reaction score
FYI, the trip computer that calculates the MPG is wildly (high) inaccurate. The only way to get a true MPG is to calc after fillup and using trip miles. I am totally weird and record each fillup with miles, gallons used, price etc...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
FYI, the trip computer that calculates the MPG is wildly (high) inaccurate. The only way to get a true MPG is to calc after fillup and using trip miles. I am totally weird and record each fillup with miles, gallons used, price etc...
...and there’s an app for that ;)

Klute

Reaction score
...and there’s an app for that ;)

Which app do you use? Does it also track maintenance items too? I use pen and paper to record everything so I have one spot to look for scheduled maint, repairs etc.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
If I reset my trip computer I can get 21 on the highway....but that just isn't real. My real average is between 16 and 18. I don't rabbit start and don't drive like a maniac. I do tend to go 7-10 mpg over the speed limit on interstates but keep it at about the speed limits on side streets. If I gunned it off every light or drove like my wife, I can assure you my readings would be much much lower!

I've reset my trip computer a few times before some longer 100-300 mile trips and can easily get 19mpg on the highway and have even clocked a 20 and 21. It's doable, but isn't really indicative of mixed driving. Once I mix in city driving, I'm back down in the 16-18 range. If I do nothing but city driving and stay off the interstates for a while, it settles into the 16's. But I also tow a little and that dings the numbers as well.

But, those are only as accurate as the computer. I do not hand calculate.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If an engine is designed and tuned to run on 87, running on 89 or 91 isn’t gonna give you more HP or fuel economy.

In fact, 87 octane has more energy (BTUs) than 91 octane.

A rich burn engine (staciometric) runs most efficient right on the edge of knocking...a higher octane gas than “tuned for” will move the engine further away from knocking = less efficient.
I am aware that the higher the octane the less energy in the fuel. Conversely with the higher flashpoint of that fuel, the closer to TDC the spark plug can fire without risk of pre-detonation. This will give you more power. Higher performance sports cars (Corvette, Hellcat, etc.) all recommend 91 octane (same as "performance" tunes) for a reason.

These days just about everything late model has a knock sensor that can adjust timing automatically as you drive. "Back in the day" you bumped up a grade (87 to 89, 89 to 91) if you had knocking to raise the flashpoint to stop it. The only way to retard the timing was manually so you had to do it yourself or take it to a dealership/mechanic.
Ours are designed and tuned to run on 89.
What?! Why didn’t I know this?! :ROFLMAO::unsure:
It's clearly stated on pages 520 and 525 of the 23MB 645-page owner's manual. ;) :LOL:

It also says don't use gas that's more than 15% ethanol.
It is crazy how varied it is from truck to truck.
There are tons of variables besides driving style. Road types, inclines, traffic patterns, etc., all make a difference. My wife had tires with a 70K mile warranty and they were down to the wear bars in 25K miles. She doesn't drive hard and I rotated the tires every 5K. My tire shop was not surprised as they tell me that SoCal roads eat tires. I'm sure the road surfaces play into my MPG being lower than many.
I don't go that far but hand calculate at every fill-up to see where I'm at. My hand calcs are about .5 mpg below the computer's calculation on average. If I'm lighter on the throttle it's little closer to the dash readout and if I'm heavier on the throttle then it's a bit further away from the truck's calculation from that nominal -.5 mpg for my hand calcs.
If I reset my trip computer I can get 21 on the highway....but that just isn't real. My real average is between 16 and 18...

...But, those are only as accurate as the computer. I do not hand calculate.
You do not know your real average unless you hand calculate. Your truck takes a lot of stuff into consideration to calculate on the fly and tallies it for your live overall mpg display. The bigger the equation the more chance for errors and differences due to rounding during intermediate steps. You can't escape miles driven divided by gallons used. That's your true fuel economy whether you choose to calculate it or not.

Just my .04

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Which app do you use? Does it also track maintenance items too? I use pen and paper to record everything so I have one spot to look for scheduled maint, repairs etc.
I use Fuelie, per my signature. It will permit you to track maintenance, etc., as well, but I personally track everything in a spreadsheet via Google Sheets (for access anywhere) and also post self-performed maintenance in the Ram owner’s portal.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
Pretty darn good being that you live in CO and have 3.92's. Actually the 3.92 is likely a contributing factor by keeping the engine in a better rpm range than the 3.21 would.
that is why I always get the 3.92, I agree, I think it keeps the RPS better... and while I am cruising on a 45 mph stretch of highway, or the freeway, it will go into eco mode much faster, and longer...

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I am aware that the higher the octane the less energy in the fuel. Conversely with the higher flashpoint of that fuel, the closer to TDC the spark plug can fire without risk of pre-detonation. This will give you more power. Higher performance sports cars (Corvette, Hellcat, etc.) all recommend 91 octane (same as "performance" tunes) for a reason.

These days just about everything late model has a knock sensor that can adjust timing automatically as you drive. "Back in the day" you bumped up a grade (87 to 89, 89 to 91) if you had knocking to raise the flashpoint to stop it. The only way to retard the timing was manually so you had to do it yourself or take it to a dealership/mechanic.

It's clearly stated on pages 520 and 525 of the 23MB 645-page owner's manual. ;) :LOL:

It also says don't use gas that's more than 15% ethanol.

There are tons of variables besides driving style. Road types, inclines, traffic patterns, etc., all make a difference. My wife had tires with a 70K mile warranty and they were down to the wear bars in 25K miles. She doesn't drive hard and I rotated the tires every 5K. My tire shop was not surprised as they tell me that SoCal roads eat tires. I'm sure the road surfaces play into my MPG being lower than many.

I don't go that far but hand calculate at every fill-up to see where I'm at. My hand calcs are about .5 mpg below the computer's calculation on average. If I'm lighter on the throttle it's little closer to the dash readout and if I'm heavier on the throttle then it's a bit further away from the truck's calculation from that nominal -.5 mpg for my hand calcs.

You do not know your real average unless you hand calculate. Your truck takes a lot of stuff into consideration to calculate on the fly and tallies it for your live overall mpg display. The bigger the equation the more chance for errors and differences due to rounding during intermediate steps. You can't escape miles driven divided by gallons used. That's your true fuel economy whether you choose to calculate it or not.

Just my .04

k

Klute

Reaction score
I use Fuelie, per my signature. It will permit you to track maintenance, etc., as well, but I personally track everything in a spreadsheet via Google Sheets (for access anywhere) and also post self-performed maintenance in the Ram owner’s portal.
Do you create a csv output file from Fuelie in order to populate google sheets? Did not think about the Ram portal, thanks.

Snakes709

Reaction score
Just under 4 weeks ago went from a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L Quad cab 4WD to a 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel Quad cab 4WD with 5.7 Etorque. Live in Montana where posted Interstate speed limit is 80 mph. Obtained a tare weight over time for both trucks which are within in 120 pounds of each other (Denali 6,260 pounds, Ram 6,140 pounds). Ram salesman told me Ram Rebel 5.7 Etorque would hit 22 mpg highway rating listed on window sticker. Took him at his word. Traded in Sierra Denali on Ram Rebel. Sierra Denali had approximately 8,000 miles at time of trade in. Ram Rebel currently has 1,000 miles (mostly highway miles). At 80 mph (combined flat and hills driving on highways) Sierra Denali averaged 22.5 mpg. At 70 to 75 mph on same highways Ram Rebel so far averages 15.7 mpg. Disappointed in Ram mpg so far, big difference in mpg between the two trucks.

I just traded in my 2019 Ram 1500 sport in for a 2019 gmc at4. The ram got better mileage. Couple things to note. Mileage gets better after you break the truck in. Second, the rebel is more orientated towards off roading, as is the at4, so they will get worse gas mileage compared to a regular ram 1500 or sierra.

Klute

Reaction score
I just traded in my 2019 Ram 1500 sport in for a 2019 gmc at4. The ram got better mileage. Couple things to note. Mileage gets better after you break the truck in. Second, the rebel is more orientated towards off roading, as is the at4, so they will get worse gas mileage compared to a regular ram 1500 or sierra.

Wow, did you take a bath on resale/trade in?

Snakes709

Reaction score
Wow, did you take a bath on resale/trade in?

Wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. Obviously my payments went up but my interest is alot less and 1 year less term. In the end ill have paid $3k less. Just couldnt deal with the fact i only owned the ram for 3 months and had 5 issues. Then again my at4 is at the dealership getting dents fixed in the cab frame that i found. Looks like the bed hit the back of the cab during assembly.

seanh69

Reaction score
2019 4x4 5.7L non-eTorque 3.21LS 12K miles stock tires (wrangler)
15.5 MPG city mixed Hwy. On Interstate on cruse 70+ MPH 20.5 MPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread