5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage question

Skidootwo

Reaction score
High all! Newbie to this forum so apologize as this has probably been discussed before but not sure where to look yet. Just got a 2021 1500 Bighorn crew cab with 6.4 box. 5.7L ecotorque with 3.92 gears and 20" wheels. Currently have 2500 miles on it and am VERY DISSAPOINTED with the gas mileage. Window sticker claims 17 city and 22 highway. Best I'm getting is 10 - 11 city. On the highway I just ran 250 miles up the expressway with cruise set to 76 mph. Got 16.1 MPG for the trip!!! I can't even get the average city MPG on the highway. WTH? Is this going to get any better and if so at what mileage should I start seeing an improvement? My 2008 with the 5.7 hemi did better than this. Is this what 13 years of technology improvements got me? Or is this a case where if misery loves company I should be asking what everyone else is experiencing? Gotta tell you, if this doesn't get any better it'll be someone else's problem come spring. I'll go back to Chevy where I could get 21 MPG on the same stretch of road at 82 mpg. Oh yeah, I was paying for regular unleaded with the Chevy rather than the mid grade this gas hog wants. Sorry for the attitude but I'm really disgusted.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
You're going to get some various answers - like, it will improve as your run some miles on it (mine didn't). I NEVER EXPECT to get what the sticker says - but the fuel economy is one of the few things that really disappoint me about this truck.

You CAN RUN REGULAR - probably get worse mileage.

OTOH - If I couldn't afford to gas a full-sie 5.7 V8 7,000lb truck - I'd be driving a Prius.

My next buy is a 21 Yukon Denali Diesel. If it gets near what's being reported in the Sierra Pickups - I'll be happier (even though diesel is more $$, and filets/maintenance is more). If not - same thing. Can't cry driving an $82K SUV, because I get crappy mileage.

For the record - both my Honda Pilots (12 & 16)- I only averaged 16MPG overall on both. But looking at my "fuelly report" in my sig - this thing really sucks down the go-juice - especially if you enjoy being heavy footed with a nice fast (for a full size) truck.

1612049065451.png
Rick

Snofire

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The window sticker doesn't reflect on the specific vehicle you bought. It's a "Best case scenario" listing. If you got the tradesman, v6, 18" rims, 3.21, 2wd, shortbox, highway tires, and no real weight options. There is a lot of leeway with the EPG on vehicles. They don't EPG test every model or specific packages. Make the numbers look good and people will buy.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2021 eTorque and average about 15 around town. I didn't buy the truck for its gas mileage abilities...I bought it to have fun and could give a crap about the price of gas.

BobK

Reaction score
I have the same with the 5.7 bed. About the same millage at this point too. I get 13.5-14 Average with some around town and some highway. I just took a ride to a client and did about 65/70mph both ways (5 hours total) and got 18.7 average. So I would say that is about the same. I would never expect to get what the sticker says. Those are tests done in a perfectly optimal test environment. Coming from minivans and cars and this being my first truck I knew I could not expect nearly the same so while I wish it was better, this is what people are telling me is normal so I just accept it to have a 7000+lbs vehicle with a Hemi.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
520 miles on mine, mostly stop and go city driving with my 9 mile commute to/from work on the parkway at 85 getting 11.4 mpg so far and havent even started driving my normal aggressive road rage style yet. But it is what is better than my '05 SRT-10 that got 7.4 mpg! :D

BigD

Reaction score
I've gotten 24 mpg highway driving 55-60 mph the whole way. Once u go over 70 mph with the 3.92 gears she sucks the gas down. I average 15 or 16 mph city driving. If I drive real nice I can get the 17 that the sticker says. I could never figure out why people buy a truck & then ***** about the gas mileage? I hear even the Ford V-6 turbos get terrible milage if u don't baby them. Just be grateful gas is still $2.00/gallon. It won't be for long with the new administration!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
High all! Newbie to this forum so apologize as this has probably been discussed before but not sure where to look yet. Just got a 2021 1500 Bighorn crew cab with 6.4 box. 5.7L ecotorque with 3.92 gears and 20" wheels. Currently have 2500 miles on it and am VERY DISSAPOINTED with the gas mileage. Window sticker claims 17 city and 22 highway. Best I'm getting is 10 - 11 city. On the highway I just ran 250 miles up the expressway with cruise set to 76 mph. Got 16.1 MPG for the trip!!! I can't even get the average city MPG on the highway. WTH? Is this going to get any better and if so at what mileage should I start seeing an improvement? My 2008 with the 5.7 hemi did better than this. Is this what 13 years of technology improvements got me? Or is this a case where if misery loves company I should be asking what everyone else is experiencing? Gotta tell you, if this doesn't get any better it'll be someone else's problem come spring. I'll go back to Chevy where I could get 21 MPG on the same stretch of road at 82 mpg. Oh yeah, I was paying for regular unleaded with the Chevy rather than the mid grade this gas hog wants. Sorry for the attitude but I'm really disgusted.
I felt the same way after I purchased my 19 5.7 with 3:92 gears. I also came from a Silverado that I could get 22 mpg on the highway with. When I first questioned my poor milage I was hit with well you did buy a truck with a big v8, ok fair enough. But what I don’t like is that the window stickers for these new rams are not truck specific, ( false advertisement) a way to pull customers from the Ford eco boost I’d guess the 17-22 mpg is for 5.7 etorque with 18” wheels with the 3:21 rear end id guess. However don’t get discouraged yet. I was told it would get better and it did . I managed 24 highway with a tail wind I’d guess, going 60 mph. Once your hit that 65+ you will not get any better than 19. Pulling a small camper I got 14-15, the 5.7 with the 3:92 is the best pulling half ton in my opinion, get into the hills and it really doesn’t even notice it. I was getting 10-12 at first also, but mine had several problems, they replaced rack and pinion and front axles before 8000 miles, after that it got better. Truck still had issues and I pushed them to buy it back at 8000 miles and the did, it’s a long story! Anyway I had a 2021 ram built, this time with the 3:21 gears 5.7 etorque. I can’t tell you the mpg yet, because it only has 60 miles on it! I can tell you the 3:92 is more fun to drive, feels more sure footed and Is faster off the line, also haven’t pulled with the 3:21 yet, but I already can tell it’s going to lose more speed/power then the 3:92. Good luck and I hope it gets better for you👍🏻 By the way all I use is the cheap 87 gas!

Users who are viewing this thread