5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Mileage after first 1160 miles of driving truck... Sucks!

Drewster

Reaction score
21 bighorn Non-etorque, with about 1000 miles on the odo. I get around 18 mpg (30/70 city/hwy). Driving pure highway I get ~21 mpg. My advice is get up to speed relatively quickly (1/3-1/2 throttle), and once you get there, use the cruise control. if I don't use cruise, I easily lose 2 mpg. I've also noticed that idling significantly reduces the average mpg, oddly enough these trucks are really thirsty when they aren't doing anything.
It's because they still use port injection. Most newer engines use direct injection, which allows them to use a very small, precise amount of fuel delivered right to the combustion chamber, while older port injectors are difficult to characterize/ inaccurate at small duty cycle (like when you're at idle). On the flip side, port injectors are also super cheap and we don't have to worry about high pressure fuel pumps or carbon build up, so it's a give and take.

St-na

Reaction score
I agree with this. Accelerate briskly if possible and set the cruise once desired speed is reached. If you can get mds to activate that will help. No more remote start. Try it to idle for long periods. Also, every car I pass at WOT results in a .1 mpg loss. So I try to avoid WOT as much as possible as well.
That's exactly how I drive, don't believe that new trucks much heavier, my old 2014RAM had 31 gal.tank

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's because they still use port injection. Most newer engines use direct injection, which allows them to use a very small, precise amount of fuel delivered right to the combustion chamber, while older port injectors are difficult to characterize/ inaccurate at small duty cycle (like when you're at idle). On the flip side, port injectors are also super cheap and we don't have to worry about high pressure fuel pumps or carbon build up, so it's a give and take.
I haven’t really looked at the engine that good. I assumed all newer engines were all direct injection. 🤷🏻‍♂️

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 5.7L HEMI came out in 2002 for Dodge/RAM trucks. There was an update in 2009 but it's the same basic design from almost 20 years ago.

Every20years

Reaction score
So at 900+ miles now and I'm averaging 26.7mpg with about 50% highway, 25% city and 25% "suburban" driving. Oh, wait. EcoDiesel and loving it. I DID buy it for the mileage. Only reason I filled the 33 gal tank twice was when the pipeline got hacked in case fuel got limited in our area.

I was really hoping in the last two years Ram was going to get the Hemi to a 19/22/24 type of number but loving the EcoDiesel and the 3.92 on the grades in Colorado. Unless I am accelerating up a 4-5% grade I don't downshift out of D8 like my Dakota did (ok, not D8 in it, but still downshifted) or my wife's Pilot does. Just cruises along. Can't wait to see how it does on the 6-7% grades going into the mountains.

St-na

Reaction score
The 5.7L HEMI came out in 2002 for Dodge/RAM trucks. There was an update in 2009 but it's the same basic design from almost 20 years ago.
Yes, the last generation of HEMI starts from 2009, from 2013+ they added few kW and torque, but biggest improvement for MPG was 8 speed transmission+MDS

St-na

Reaction score
Your new truck is likely heavier, especially with things like that panoramic sunroof and 33 gallon tank.
5th gen RAM are 250 pounds lighter than 4th gen. Tank is only 2 gallon bigger. It's not the reason for sure!

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I have 4993 miles on my truck and I am averaging 17.06 MPG (Hand Calculated). That includes 1400 miles of towing, mostly hills and mountains (3500lbs of trailer and Honda Talon). So no complains from me.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
My Ram is not really broken in yet but I’m getting bad mileage, 12-13 mpg but it’s a hoot to drive. Most of my driving is stop and go city driving. No complaints.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
My Ram is not really broken in yet but I’m getting bad mileage, 12-13 mpg but it’s a hoot to drive. Most of my driving is stop and go city driving. No complaints.
3.92 and being "a hoot to drive" is probably the reason for 12-13😁

Stop and go city kills mpg for mine. And it doesn't take long, either.

Last edited:

mmcbeat

Reaction score
3.92 and being "a hoot to drive" is probably the reason for 12-13😁

Stop and go city kills mpg for mine. And it doesn't take longer long, either.
Yeah, i don’t do power stalls, burn outs, donuts, etc. But I do enjoy “putting it to the wood” in the on ramps to the freeway.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Summer blend is finally here!

Winter blend = 15 mpg overall
Summer blend = 16 mpg overall

Doesn't seem like much but that's effectively 2 "extra" gallons per tank for me. I burn through a tank in a week (or a little sooner) and at $4.09/gallon (Top Tier 89 octane) that's an extra 8 bucks in my pocket for a "free" adult beverage conveniently packaged with 5 of his closest friends...;)

Last edited:

St-na

Reaction score
Did pretty good on Victoria day long weekend. 140 mile trip. 87 octane, somewhat hilly road. 21.8 mpg, (10.7L /100km)
Had the same result with my 2014, but not anymore. Best on HWY 17.5 now :(

captainzombie

Reaction score
The first few weeks I was getting worse mileage than my ‘18 Silverado, roughly 13 mpg. The last two weeks I’m getting roughly 15-16 mpg city driving and on the highway had it around 18.5 mpg. It’s a truck, and shoot my recently traded in Silverado had an extra 400 lbs of weight as GM was taking ages to trim the body style down. It’s kind of what I’m expecting.

Users who are viewing this thread