5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Mileage after first 1160 miles of driving truck... Sucks!

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
me too i just didnt like any of their interior colors i even priced out katzskins leather seats to change the color. should have gone that rout

me too i just didnt like any of their interior colors i even priced out katzskins leather seats to change the color. should have gone that rout
Same here. After seeing the interior of the RAM, Everytime I went back to look at the Chevy, I couldn't "un-see" the RAM interior lol

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. After seeing the interior of the RAM, Everytime I went back to look at the Chevy, I couldn't "un-see" the RAM interior lol
I really liked the GMC AT4, 5.3 with 10sp was nice and I am sure good mpg, but the interior space......:sick:

My previous truck was a 2016 GMC with 5.3 and the 8sp(the single worst transmission to ever exist and I have owned the Chrysler ultradrive....) and the MPG was about 16-17 city and 24-26 highway.

redneck

Reaction score
yeah my 8 speed in my gmc would clunk on down shifts alot but it never broke lol

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since I’m in the camp of lousy MPG, I just tell myself my Hemi makes more HP than most other Hemi’s. Mine’s a high performance engine. Bonus.

FiremanHemi

Reaction score
Horrible gas mileage since day 1 for me LOL and even worse after the 35’s but I haven’t recalibrated the speedo yet 🤷🏻‍♂️

slatersan

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie with 33” LT E rated tires gets 18-19 on the hwy easily. Towed a 4800 lb camper through the mountains round trip for 200 miles this past weekend and averaged 11 mpg. I don’t understand how some of you can get such bad fuel mileage. The only thing I can think of is those stuck in stop and go city traffic, I don’t do very much of that.

Stop and go traffic...and racing to be the first at the next light.

dlrsavannah

Reaction score
I have a little over 10k on my 2020 Bighorn and in the city I'll get right around 15 mpg but on the highway the most I've gotten is about 17.2 or so..not even close to advertised 23 mpg. I don't run the mds but that saved about .5 mpg when I did.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have 16K and average high 17's to 18 mpg, hand calc is 420 miles / 23 gallons = 18.2 miles per gallon.
You guys getting bad mileage, how are you driving the truck? I'm not not the 1st through an intersection but I'm not the last and I try to keep the truck shifting by 2000rpm, no higher than 2500 rpm when accelerating.
This is 70-80% city driving and rush hour traffic

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
Well towed my 6x10 enclosed trailer today to job site and back.. 75 miles round trip.. never went over 72mph...................

10.3 mpg😱😱😱

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
13.3 seems very, very low for hwy no matter which wheels or rear end you have.

I have a 3.21 w/ 22”s and I get ~18MPG if I drive 75-80MPH.
If I keep it at 70MPH, I’lll get 19-19.5.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
13.3 seems very, very low for hwy no matter which wheels or rear end you have.

I have a 3.21 w/ 22”s and I get ~18MPG if I drive 75-80MPH.
If I keep it at 70MPH, I’lll get 19-19.5.
I just realized your profile pic is from Alien :LOL:.

Was wondering if I should get Graphics on my Truck saying 'Weyland-Yutani: Building Better Worlds' People would be so confused lol

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Have had this 19 Longhorn for 8 days.. 1168 miles . 750 of that was driving home from dealership.. no towing.. and I average 13.3 miles per gallon.. driving on highway averaging 70 to 75 mph.. and then some in town driving.. stock 22 wheels and tires . No mods .

Is this what I'm about to expect?! WTH
Knock 10 mph off and you'll likely see some improvement. 75 mph with your combo isn't going to produce anything close to the sticker. Which is based on the lightest/least optioned package with tallest gearing, usually at 55 mph. Look at the bright side; at least you have the 33 gal tank lol

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
yeah i try to keep my shifts at 4k some times over these things have no low end tq.
I accelerate at about half throttle, and have the trans shift between 3 and 4K rpm. Once at speed, I set the cruise and let mds do its thing if possible. Also, the mpg is pretty lousy until the engine gets to operating temperature.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Knock 10 mph off and you'll likely see some improvement. 75 mph with your combo isn't going to produce anything close to the sticker. Which is based on the lightest/least optioned package with tallest gearing, usually at 55 mph. Look at the bright side; at least you have the 33 gal tank lol
What combo? His truck is stock. It’s understood that the faster you go the more you burn, but he should not bee seeing extended Hwy ~13MPG regardless.

If he were to drive 55MPH, he should be seeing >20MPG. Prob close to mid 20s.

dandar

Reaction score
Have had this 19 Longhorn for 8 days.. 1168 miles . 750 of that was driving home from dealership.. no towing.. and I average 13.3 miles per gallon.. driving on highway averaging 70 to 75 mph.. and then some in town driving.. stock 22 wheels and tires . No mods .

Is this what I'm about to expect?! WTH
It will go up to about 15. Idling the engine kills the average the most.

Users who are viewing this thread