5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas is Gone

I know it can happen, but I'm a little surprised that you didn't hear/feel the Jeep restarting the second you started shifting to Park. By the time you started opening your door, the sound of the running engine would have greeted you.

Now, I've hit the Start/Stop button at least once before remembering to shift from D to P on this truck, and that was very noticeable (self-rotating shift dial, warning lights and sounds, etc.) :)
Yes. You would here it restart. If you were not preoccupied. When I got out I assumed it was the vehicle beside me. I assumed wrong. And again. If the tank was drained...it would have still started for a little.

My guess stands...truck left running. Only possible way I believe it wasnt was he said they got stuff out of the bed. But with the dual exhaust...dis they grab it from over the side and walk to the front...

Whats the idle hours looking like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've tested this and found that when the engine shuts off because of the stop/start system, it starts back up as soon as I shifted into Park.

I know how easy it is to leave the engine running. Happened to me one time when I went to dinner. We spent almost two hours inside, only to return to find my truck still running. I couldn't believe I left it idling for that long, and the wife wouldn't stop giving me crap about it because I normally let it idle very little.
These 5.7s are so quiet they really make me miss my old 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with the noisy 5.9L Cummins. There is no way one would leave it running accidentally.

These 5.7s are so quiet they really make me miss my old 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with the noisy 5.9L Cummins. There is no way one would leave it running accidentally.
That was on my last truck, which had an aftermarket exhaust. The problem is the parking lot was next to a busy freeway, and I couldn't hear the engine running over the traffic noise. Even a noisy old diesel might have been hard to hear.

The garage is an open air garage, no walls
I understand...but it's still hot. I know there's some evaporation going on, but don't know how much. Depends upon how much was left after siphoning, and how much gasoline evaporates in 5 days at the temperatures in Dallas.

I understand...but it's still hot. I know there's some evaporation going on, but don't know how much. Depends upon how much was left after siphoning, and how much gasoline evaporates in 5 days at the temperatures in Dallas.
I don't see this as being possible because it's a closed system. There's nowhere for the gas to evaporate to. Modern fuel injection systems are not like older carbureted fuel systems that are not sealed to the environment. Maybe after a matter of monts or even years it could eventually evaporate out, but the gas would have gone bad long before that would happen.

Two quips but sorry not an answer to the missing gas.....

I have a '93 z71 that keep in my pole barn. Have to remember to crank and drive every few days. One day started it up, left it running and proceeded to cut grass, edge, and various other stuff. FORGOT all about the Z71 running in the pole barn. Next day shure nuf ran slap out of gas and had a dead battery.

Years ago flew out of ATL. was going to be gone for about 5 days. Thought I'd be smart, enter the economy lot and drive up to the short term parking by going the wrong way up the ramp. Got back and ready to pay and the lady said that will be a $100 dont really remember the amount cause it was a long time ago. Argued a bit and told her I parked in economy! She said No Sir you were in XX in the short term lot. So yes they know and see everything in those lots!!

Sorry for a not so relevant post!!

Well guys....I don’t know. Is it possible I left it running? Perhaps but I highly doubt the three of us would miss it. I travel several times a month for work and am at DFW very often and never had anything like this happen before.

My first oil change is coming up soon and I will ask the dealer if there are any anomalies with miles and engine hours. As embarrassing as it may be I really want to know!

You can check the idle hours yourself it’s in the cluster settings somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What @BNeal was referring to was the claim by @LakesAZ that a person could walk away from a vehicle with the stop-start engaged (meaning the vehicle is in Run but the engine is temporarily stopped by the system). This can only happen in Drive, so walking away isn’t possible.
You may be right about the engine still running as it is very quiet and smooth, no idle jitter, and if you close the door and walk towards the front you would not hear the exhaust tones. So I might have been mistaken that the engine was off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back