5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G/T hood advertised as functional

JTD

Reaction score
Any confirmation from owners of a G/T of the vents not just for show?

Attachments

• 2125A14D-9BE1-4577-9097-376C248D000B.jpeg
    2125A14D-9BE1-4577-9097-376C248D000B.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 39

cliffsta

Reaction score
It was discussed in a previous thread that the sport hood has the holes under the vents, but the hood liner covers the holes and the bottoms of the vents are solid. You’d have to put holes in the plastic vents and cut into the hood lining. Not sure what benefit you would gain, and that would probably be offset by your engine bay becoming filthy.

Post in thread 'Hood vents even more useless than we knew'
Hood vents even more useless than we knew

Last edited:
Reactions: JTD

JTD

Reaction score
It was discussed in a previous thread that the sport hood has the holes under the vents, but the hood liner covers the holes and the bottoms of the vents are solid. You’d have to put holes in the plastic vents and cut into the hood lining. Not sure what benefit you would gain, and that would probably be offset by your engine bay becoming filthy.

Thank you!

I was wondering if they actually made changes to the hood for the G/T model. I’m guessing not. False advertising

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thank you!

I was wondering if they actually made changes to the hood for the G/T model. I’m guessing not. False advertising
The hood for the GT package is the same sport performance hood the Rebel comes with. And the same hood you get with certain options on other models. False advertising if they are saying it's functional.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I mean it doesn't exactly say the vents are real.
The GT package comes with the Ram Air style intake which would improve airflow, but that actually goes through the front grille.

The large "vent" by the windshield is solid plastic.
The other 2 "vents" do have a water drain hole, but they are not going to make your engine cooler or anything.

They don't even claim the GT model has increased HP or anything even with the different style air intake which should give it more. They are being rather modest if you ask me.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I mean it doesn't exactly say the vents are real.
The GT package comes with the Ram Air style intake which would improve airflow, but that actually goes through the front grille.

The large "vent" by the windshield is solid plastic.
The other 2 "vents" do have a water drain hole, but they are not going to make your engine cooler or anything.

They don't even claim the GT model has increased HP or anything even with the different style air intake which should give it more. They are being rather modest if you ask me.
They don't claim the increase in HP probably because there is none. Unless they did other enhancements to the tune and engine, a cold air intake doesn't give you any real benefit. You might get a perceived benefit, but there is not actual evidence it does anything.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They don't claim the increase in HP probably because there is none. Unless they did other enhancements to the tune and engine, a cold air intake doesn't give you any real benefit. You might get a perceived benefit, but there is not actual evidence it does anything.
The Vararam has dyno proven HP increasez and I personally tested 0-60 times and got a verified decrease in 0-60 over stock with my Vararam.

vincentw56

Reaction score
The Vararam has dyno proven HP increasez and I personally tested 0-60 times and got a verified decrease in 0-60 over stock with my Vararam.
Well, that is what I have, can't say I personally noticed any improvement. I just like the way it looks. You know, for those few times I open the hood.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, that is what I have, can't say I personally noticed any improvement. I just like the way it looks. You know, for those few times I open the hood.
Main reason I got mine was for looks as well.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The stock air box is a cold air intake...
The GT intake is Ramair.
Both pull cold air, just different amounts of air.

Also air intakes do increase performance just not generally what people claim it does.

Dewey

Reaction score
I have the Ram AirFlow and GT exhaust. Can’t say if it made any power over stock since I installed at 100 miles but it sure looks and sounds a HELL of a lot better with that combination.

The GT Sport hood looks nice but not at all functional. I actually like the 4th Gen Sport hood WAY better as far as looks go. Plenty of aftermarket hoods out there if you want something functional.

Last edited:

runamuck

Reaction score
I have the sport hood..just for looks. as for the air box. there are other blogs about it. most say the oem one works well. out of habit, I put a K&N type filter in mine right after I bought it. I have used them for many years in all my vehicles. buy once and rinse out every year unless I forget.. good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread