5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FYI for those of us living in Commiefornia

Tgryphon

Reaction score
Yep. Anyone with alphaOBD or TazerDT better be back to stock anytime a mechanic anywhere looks at the truck to be on the safe side. That’s my plan anyway

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you bought your truck new, you won't have a smog test until it's 8 years old. If bought used, then when it's 4 years old. Once you have to start doing smog test, it's very other year after that.

For those few times you have to do a smog test, just return the tune to stock before you take it, then install the tune right after. No different than when bringing your truck in for warranty work. That's the biggest danger anyways, is having the dealership mark your truck's ECU and lock you out of warranty work, and that's a national thing.

Last edited:

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Texas is the same for counties in and surrounding the major metropolitan areas.
You have to show "ready" on the majority of your emissions monitors.
Since most tunes don't focus on emissions, you typically see the rear O2 sensors show "not ready". This can cause a tech to not pass your inspection.

I was reading how the spec was written several years ago and at the time I interpreted it that you could have one or two show not ready and still pass, but I never took the chance on my ecoBoom.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Anyone with alphaOBD or TazerDT better be back to stock anytime a mechanic anywhere looks at the truck to be on the safe side. That’s my plan anyway
What would either of those two devices have to do with the thread topic?

Tgryphon

Reaction score
What would either of those two devices have to do with the thread topic?
With the new law going into effect one could infer that they will be scanning the ECU. Both devices make changes to the ECU. The point of this thread is to warn people. Doesn’t seem outside reasonable to point out two common devices someone might not consider prior taking the vehicle in.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
With the new law going into effect one could infer that they will be scanning the ECU. Both devices make changes to the ECU. The point of this thread is to warn people. Doesn’t seem outside reasonable to point out two common devices someone might not consider prior taking the vehicle in.
Neither of those devices are capable of making any changes to the PCM tune file, which is the “ECU” that is scanned during a smog test.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are incapable of changing the ECU or programming. They do some degree of coding which is capable of being done by anyone and anything connected to the OBD2 port or canbus. When you change settings via the radio you are altering coding.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very sad to see what one party rule is doing to that poor state. Supposedly it's a beautiful, beautiful place, and yet people are leaving in droves, due to the morons running it. Expensive gas AND homeless people s**ting in the streets, in the name of "pRoGrEsS" because it literally can't be done any other way. 🤪
Horribly run, and what an absolute joke, I feel very bad for the good guys stuck with those decisions made by very dumb leaders who are making life more difficult for ordinary citizens in a desperate struggle to think well of themselves.

They're practically trying to get rid of bacon too.
I swear, Demolition Man was a look into the future!

SpicyIncomparableElephantseal-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_oredhxbrvY1qmt01xo3_500.gifv

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Very sad to see what one party rule is doing to that poor state. Supposedly it's a beautiful, beautiful place, and yet people are leaving in droves, due to the morons running it. Expensive gas AND homeless people s**ting in the streets, in the name of "pRoGrEsS" because it literally can't be done any other way. 🤪
Horribly run, and what an absolute joke.

SpicyIncomparableElephantseal-max-1mb.gif

tumblr_oredhxbrvY1qmt01xo3_500.gifv

I'm not originally from California, moved here fairly recently, and it's hardly like that. There are well publicized issues like homeless camps in parts of LA or San Francisco that you see on TV a lot, but I don't think that's the norm. It's certainly not worse in the town I live in than when I was in Texas or North Carolina.

As for people leaving, yes more are technical leaving than entering, but the population is still growing. Most large state population growth is internal, i.e. people having kids and they having kids. There is a reason why California has the highest real estate prices and rents still, because the population is still growing and there isn't enough affordable housing. Most people leaving are cashing out their homes because they can't afford to retire here. Houses for sale here barely last 2-3 weeks before they are sold, the idea that the state is emptying out is ridiculous.

I live in San Diego now, a city with over 3 million people. I wished people would move out so housing wouldn't be so expensive. The median price for a house here is $800,000! In Dallas, that house would be $275,000 right now. Yes the state is run by democrats, at least I can say San Diego is the largest city in the country with a Republican mayor, small victorious right?

The bacon thing is about farming standards, which they say would raise the prices too much. However the same scare happened with eggs and chickens few years ago, the producers will find a way to make it affordable since they cannot afford not to sell in California. There was barely a disruption in production or prices of eggs and chickens, I highly doubt pork will be any different.

California's just too strong economically for companies to avoid selling to with too large a customer base. California 2020 GPD was more than number 2 (Texas) and number 3 (Florida) GPD combined. California does have a lot of faults with lack of affordable housing, low affordability, crowded, questionably governing, etc. But I like it here more than any other place I've lived in. Maybe I'm crazy :)

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Our federal government is cracking down on a lot of things. Harley Davidson is making it very difficult to mod their new bikes without losing the warranty. EPA restrictions are getting tighter for a lot of thing

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Our federal government is cracking down on a lot of things. Harley Davidson is making it very difficult to mod their new bikes without losing the warranty. EPA restrictions are getting tighter for a lot of thing

I blame the rolling coal guys with their deletes. They were thumbing their nose at everyone for so long, that eventually the EPA decided to crack down, first on them and it's spreading to the whole aftermarket.

You can say what you want about CARB, but CARB always kept an eye on not destroying the aftermarket since it's so lucrative for the state. CARB and SEMA found a way to work it out and keep a balance. Whereas the EPA doesn't care about that, they are crushing small aftermarket shops in a bunch of states.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I blame the rolling coal guys with their deletes. They were thumbing their nose at everyone for so long, that eventually the EPA decided to crack down, first on them and it's spreading to the whole aftermarket.

You can say what you want about CARB, but CARB always kept an eye on not destroying the aftermarket since it's so lucrative for the state. CARB and SEMA found a way to work it out and keep a balance. Whereas the EPA doesn't care about that, they are crushing small aftermarket shops in a bunch of states.
Diesels, for the most part have been unrestricted up until I believe the early 2000's. There were no SMOG testing on them. I don't neccesarily blame the "rolling coal" guys although I'm sure that didnt help. A lot of the aftermarket performance companies got away with what they did because they were able to label their products as "not for use on pollution controlled vehicle's" or "off road use only". That basically gave them carte blanche because they can't control what vehicle the purchaser puts it on and they can tell the feds, hey we told them not to. Now with all this "green" bullsh!t it will only be getting worse

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Diesels, for the most part have been unrestricted up until I believe the early 2000's. There were no SMOG testing on them. I don't neccesarily blame the "rolling coal" guys although I'm sure that didnt help. A lot of the aftermarket performance companies got away with what they did because they were able to label their products as "not for use on pollution controlled vehicle's" or "off road use only". That basically gave them carte blanche because they can't control what vehicle the purchaser puts it on and they can tell the feds, hey we told them not to. Now with all this "green" bullsh!t it will only be getting worse

Agree on everyone else doing it, but it started with the rolling coal guys, that's who the EPA cracked down on initially a year ago, all based on complaints about their rather flagrant public displays.

They aren't any different than other groups running "off-road" stuff, but they were very visible to the wrong people which made the EPA act.

Tommy R

Reaction score
Horribly run, and what an absolute joke, I feel very bad for the good guys stuck with those decisions made by very dumb leaders who are making life more difficult for ordinary citizens in a desperate struggle to think well of themselves.

Oh, FFS. Keep your political opinions to yourself. Thanks and have a blessed day!

Users who are viewing this thread