5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FUSE TAPPING

twil72

Reaction score
Hello All,

I put on some RECON headlights on our 2020 Ram 1500. I want the OLED to run as my DRLs without me having to change it to parking during the day. I was hoping this change could be made with the Alpha OBD but from talking to some guys that use that quite a bit, parking is not an option under what you want to turn on when you turn on your DRLs.

With that said I noticed that some folks are doing a Wire Fuse Tap to their ignition fuse which will turn them on anytime the ignition is turned on.

Has anyone had any luck with this and have any input? I did see a video of headlight revolution on you tube where they did this with a Toyota Tundra but obviously they had the wiring kit made for that.

Also if I try this does anyone know the color of the parking light wire?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

twil72

Reaction score
What are parking lights?
Everyone has automatic lights now and leaves them there for the most part but you have Automatic/Off/Parking/On. If you turn it to parking then the yellow lights on the side of your headlights come on, only.....I think your taillights do as well. That is called parking lights. These Recon lights are wired that when on Automatic and the headlights come on at night, all the lights come on but during the day the OLED does not and its wired to the parking light so they come on when you turn that on during the day.

motorzane

Reaction score
I am curious on this well. I installed factory LED headlights and I cannot get the running lights to stay on as daytime running lights. Maybe it's a setting that has to be enabled with Alpha and then switched on through the radio or cluster. But I have not found the right combination to get them to function as DRL's. The trucks that come with LED lights work as DRL.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed the AlphaRex Headlights, for the DRL's to work you have to run a separate wire harness to your fuse box.

I used the F60 Fuse Tap in the fuse box under the hood. : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

Since this is a critical fuse I decided to use a fuse tap so that the tap was clean.
Our trucks use the Micro 2 Fuse
You can pick one up here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some pics of the install:
Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg

1637634993421.png

Pyrotik

Reaction score
I installed the AlphaRex Headlights, for the DRL's to work you have to run a separate wire harness to your fuse box.

I used the F60 Fuse Tap in the fuse box under the hood. : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

Since this is a critical fuse I decided to use a fuse tap so that the tap was clean.
You can pick one up here: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFXA5YQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg

View attachment 111914
I know this is way later but frickin thank you for this. I just bought these and hve been looking for the right fuse to tap into AND the type of tap to use.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know this is way later but frickin thank you for this. I just bought these and hve been looking for the right fuse to tap into AND the type of tap to use.
It pays to search. I applaud your efforts. (y)

RAMbil

Reaction score
New member here, my apologies for resurrecting an old thread but it does pertain to my question about fuse tapping.

My BIL owns a 2022 1500 and got the AVS Aeroskin Lighshield for Christmas. He has asked for my help to install and wire it. Thanks to @RAM Patriot I know to get the Micro 2 fuse tap but I am having some trouble finding a fuse to tap into. He would like to have them powered on with the parking lights but I have not been able to find anything in on-line diagrams of the fuse box for such a fuse. All I have found is a 40a fuse in the F25 cavity marked "exterior lights2". Given the nature of the electronics in these newer vehicles, I would rather not splice directly into the parking light harness plus the fuse tap is easily reversed. Any ideas/suggestions as to which fuse, if any, may work? Not ideal but I may have to suggest that we tap into the F60 cavity and they will act as a "DRL".

AndersRAM

Reaction score

Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

RAM Fuse Box.jpg

View attachment 111914
I just got these and am having a tough time with them, does your DRLs stay on for about 15 seconds after turning off truck and locking? and did you connect your module to the battery as recommended?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got these and am having a tough time with them, does your DRLs stay on for about 15 seconds after turning off truck and locking? and did you connect your module to the battery as recommended?
Yes and Yes.

The DRL's will stay on for 15 seconds or longer after locking the truck it varies.

I connected the module to the F60 Fuse Tap in the fuse box under the hood. : ECM / PCM / ACT Short Running Valve.

RAMbil

Reaction score
So I have been watching some Youtube videos and found in the comments that a 1500 owner used the F12 Trlr Tow Park Lamp fuse to tap into. Next time I get with my BIL, I will have to see if there is a fuse in that cavity. Not sure as I don't know if he has the tow package, should that only be wired with it. That is why I initially ruled it out.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have been watching some Youtube videos and found in the comments that a 1500 owner used the F12 Trlr Tow Park Lamp fuse to tap into. Next time I get with my BIL, I will have to see if there is a fuse in that cavity. Not sure as I don't know if he has the tow package, should that only be wired with it. That is why I initially ruled it out.
Beware, that the trailer running lights wont turn on when the light dial is on Auto. :unsure:

Also the F12 is a non-standard fuse size so you might have issues with a fuse type due to the size of the fuse.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Beware, that the trailer running lights wont turn on when the light dial is on Auto. :unsure:

Also the F12 is a non-standard fuse size so you might have issues with a fuse type due to the size of the fuse.
It is not. The contacts look like small spade terminals but they are about twice as thick as a spade terminal, so if you do find a female spade, you'll have to pry it open some to make it fit.

RAMbil

Reaction score
Thank you @RAM Patriot for confirming my suspicions. I was skeptical that the F12 fuse would work since it relates to towing. Good point about the fuse too. I looked at your pics above and see the non-standard size. I wonder how the commenter on Youtube got it to work?

I saw another comment about removing the air box and splicing into the orange/white wire underneath which is supposedly for the parking lights. I will have to see if there is a sister wire on the DS to tap into. If not and I go this route, I would need to drill a hole in the Lightshield for the power wire to pass through on the PS. Either way, I am still a bit weary about splicing into a wire so F60 might be the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread