5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full Tint

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does the ceramic tint make it difficult to see out of the truck at night? I had that problem with a different truck but it wasn't ceramic tint.
Ceramic doesn't change the visibility through the tint. That's just going to be the light penetration (percentage rating). My 80% windshield is basically invisible. No issues whatsoever at night.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got my truck back. Every pane of glass, including sunroof, got 35% ceramic. Full tint windshield - not sure what percentage, but I can tell it's a bit darker. No distortion on the windshield at all, although, he did say that polarized lenses won't be your friend. But he also said you shouldn't need sunglasses any longer.

Rather than tint, I was primarily targeting heat-rejection being in TX. Will keep everyone updated as the summer down here boils on. Just got it back today, so haven't had time to form an opinion. Hope it works, though - $829!

View attachment 97979
I did the same exact setup soon as I got my truck. I always tint my windows even though good ole NYS says it's not legal. Love having the windshield tinted, the guy actually upsold me on it (was fairly inexpensive) and I am glad he did...will never go without it now.

Cofirecaptain

Reaction score
Looks nice. I did 5% all around with nothing on the windshield except an eyebrow. My old eyes do not see as well at night so no full tint for me!

ToopaCent

Reaction score
I did 15 front, 70 over stock in the rear , and 50 on the front windshield. Its perfect. Not overly dark. Can easily drive at night. I'd say my HUD performance is better after the front window tint. Thee ceramic suntek has cut the heat down a bit as well. Mine cost about 350 i think, maybe 370.

Id say if you tint the entire windshield, you can take step back on the darkness of the other windows. Cutting the light that comes in from teh front windshield will make the others appear darker.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I got ceramic just on front driver and passenger door glass. That made a big difference in GA summer already.
I did the same. 20% on front windows seems to be a very close match to the stock tint (dye) on the rears. I use a sun shade in the windshield when I'm parked outside. We have average temps in the upper 90's this time of year and I'm happy with my interior temps while driving around during the daytime. I wouldn't tint the windshield even if it was legal here. I wear sunglasses year-round and I've often noticed issues with looking through tinted windows while wearing polarized lenses.

BNeal

Reaction score
I did the same. 20% on front windows seems to be a very close match to the stock tint (dye) on the rears. I use a sun shade in the windshield when I'm parked outside. We have average temps in the upper 90's this time of year and I'm happy with my interior temps while driving around during the daytime. I wouldn't tint the windshield even if it was legal here. I wear sunglasses year-round and I've often noticed issues with looking through tinted windows while wearing polarized lenses.
Yea, the guy that tinted my truck warned me that polarized glasses will look funky through the tinted windshield. But he also pointed out, that with my setup, you shouldn't need sunglasses while in the truck.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, the guy that tinted my truck warned me that polarized glasses will look funky through the tinted windshield. But he also pointed out, that with my setup, you shouldn't need sunglasses while in the truck.
I’ve got a 70% tint (Llumar Formula One Stratus) on my windshield, and I do notice a few rainbows when wearing polarized sunglasses, but it doesn’t bother me.

I also only see them in the sky—above the horizon, above trees, etc. I don’t see them on the road or when looking at other cars. It’s noticeable (in the sky), but not bothersome. If it did bother me, I’d get a pair of cheap, non-polarized glasses for driving and leave them in the truck (or try to; I usually forget and take them with me then curse myself when they’re not there on the next trip).

My tint guy also said I wouldn’t need sunglasses, but I still use them. Perhaps with a darker tint or a visor strip, sunglasses wouldn’t be necessary, but I wonder if “you won’t need sunglasses!” Is marketing fluff.

Fluff or not, I’m so glad I did ceramic tint, and especially glad I did the windshield. We took a 2,000 mile road trip, and wow, what a difference this makes when the sun is beating down on you.

For those in the Atlanta area, I went to The Tint Guy in Kennesaw, and they did a great job. My truck is with them for a few days for PPF right now (I miss her!).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haha, I I wear sunglasses even on rainy days. My eyes have been sensitive to light ever since I stopped working the graveyard shift more than 30 years ago. If it's not night time I'm wearing sunglasses.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s illegal here in texas too, so is the darker tint on the front Windows... back windows and rear they don’t care.

1. Front windows can be tinted down to 25%.

2. Un-tinted UV film on the windshield is legal in Texas without a medical exemption so long as it doesn't reduce the VLT more than 5%. Functionally, so long as your windshield doesn't measure below 70% VLT (the Federal requirement) you are legal. Most of these clear films are 80-85% VLT so when combined with the existing coloring in your glass you should be fine. I have an 80% on my windshield and while it does look slightly tinted compared to stock it is 100% legal (My dad is a state trooper, I had him measure it for sh*ts and giggles).

Even with the 'clear' 80% on my windshield, it makes a HUGE difference. I will probably do it to every car I own from here on out.

Users who are viewing this thread