5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full Float Axles

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I understand that not everyone uses their rigs the way I do. For me, this will be a reasonable upgrade. For many, it would be a waste of money. As I mentioned, it’s all about the way we use our trucks.

I think what's being suggested is that this is a concern in your head that doesn't exist necessarily in the real world. As I mentioned, there are guys who regularly tow far over the payload and the axle keeps running as designed.

If you want to start replacing stuff on your truck, go for it, but I'm not convinced you're actually solving a real problem.

Have you found any reports anywhere of axle failure? To me this is like saying I want to upgrade the cab mount bolts because I drive faster than most people. Is it a real problem or is it something you're just worried about without any data to show the problem exists?

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I had 60s in a Dodge before. Great axle assembly. All the advantages the OP listed. If you have the need and the coin, go for it. Do a build thread.

bigjeffg

Reaction score
Custom differentials are common in the performance world. They can get expensive to build, even when you do most of the work yourself, as you likely already know.

That sounds like a fun project and I'm curious how it goes. Please follow up if you go through with it.
I already have a quote from JMACX in Australia. They will export, but it’s expensive.

I have also reached out to a few companies, that builds Dana 60’s for the Jeep community. This is where the idea of a narrow TRX axle build was suggested.

I started this thread, thinking I may not be the only person wanting to upgrade. A group purchase would lower the price.

I will choose one of these options. And will pull the trigger at some point. It really depends on the group interest, and when my wife agrees to me spending the money.

JMACX has some good videos.

bigjeffg

Reaction score
I think what's being suggested is that this is a concern in your head that doesn't exist necessarily in the real world. As I mentioned, there are guys who regularly tow far over the payload and the axle keeps running as designed.

If you want to start replacing stuff on your truck, go for it, but I'm not convinced you're actually solving a real problem.

Have you found any reports anywhere of axle failure? To me this is like saying I want to upgrade the cab mount bolts because I drive faster than most people. Is it a real problem or is it something you're just worried about without any data to show the problem exists?
I understand your point. And I would agree, if I only used my truck on road. But that is not how I use my truck. I have personally been on an over-landing adventure, when a Ram 1500 (2019 Rebel) broke his rear end. It was an ordeal getting his truck home. He had to replaced his rear end. He is now hesitating going on another adventure.

I had many conversations with him, and the shop that diagnosed the failure. The mechanic suggested exploring the full float option. This was the event that started my search for an upgrade to full float. I don’t want to be in the same position.

bigjeffg

Reaction score
but the frame will still be a 1500 frame
axle is not the only thing in determining gvw
Absolutely true. I’m not trying to increase my payload. Just operate at max for prolonged periods of time.

The frame is not the weak point for off roading. The Sami float axle is. When Ram built the TRX, they chose a full float Dana 60 for the same reason. The frame was upgraded, to support the longe travel springs required to achieve their build goals (compete with the Raptors) and the crazy amount of torque. You could say, I’m trying to build a baby TRX. Upgrades to fix known issues with Ram 1500’s off roading.
Arent the HD trucks still leaf spring rear suspension?
2500 Coil 3500 leaf

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There are aftermarket differential covers for the 9.25 that have bearing support load bolts and cooling fins. I know a lot of guys putting out well over 600rwhp through a 9.25 on the drag strip launching on slicks with mechanical lockers. Not much more abusive that that. They make c-clip eliminators. Crush sleeve eliminators, and the diff covers.

bigjeffg

Reaction score
There are aftermarket differential covers for the 9.25 that have bearing support load bolts and cooling fins. I know a lot of guys putting out well over 600rwhp through a 9.25 on the drag strip launching on slicks with mechanical lockers. Not much more abusive that that. They make c-clip eliminators. Crush sleeve eliminators, and the diff covers.

Point taken. From an engineering perspective these modifications align with their loads. Passing torque to the rear end. They want to dissipate heat, and prevent Ring gear misalignment. These are appropriate mods for their use case.

A drag trip is a level service. Off roading is not. My loads are different. The full float would provide strength where I need it for the loads created off roading. Different mods for different use cases

bigjeffg

Reaction score
Correct, get a TRX :)
I totally understand why you suggest this. The TRX would have checked a lot of boxes. The compromise that couldn’t be overcome is the range, do to that incredible engine. I don’t need more power, totally happy with the 5.7. It’s a reliable proven power plant. I love the range I get from my Rebel, important for long overlanding trips.

The perfect truck doesn’t exist for me. The Ram 1500 Rebel had the fewest compromises for my use case. I can upgrade to fix most of the compromises in this truck. As an example, full float rear end.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I think OP is more concerned about the strength of axle bearing the loads and impacts on the standard diff compared to the much larger outer tube bearing all the abuse on the floater.

For my own application, which is on-road towing, I may look into one of the finned aluminum covers to help keep it cool. Of course those are available for the Dana also, and that should really be bulletproof, but probably beyond my wallet.

Nukldragger

Reaction score
A decent 9" housing (not a junkyard pullout) will cost you $6-9k, not including a 3rd member. Add cost for trimming the tubes to length, welding on spindles and tabbing pivot points and caliper mounts. You'll also need hubs, axles and bearings. Good luck getting it fitted up for factory brakes, ABS/tone rings, spring perches and panhard mounts. It can be done, but as they say, speed is a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

Had the D60 in my 2nd gen 2500 and never had issues pushing 1100 ft/lbs while towing a 15k race trailer. Similar D60 in a short course off road truck with a 4 cylinder would blow a ring gear at least once every race weekend. 9" cured that, but the housing alone (ProAm) was $9k, and that was 2010 dollars.

From a cost and compatibility standpoint, your best bet may be to start combing the interwebs for a take out from a wrecked TRX. They have to be getting as common as wrecked Hellcats. Won't be cheap, but I'd bet it's a fraction of a custom built 9" or D60 and way less trouble to fit up. *Caveat emptor, I don't know squat about the TRX aside from the basics, they're way out of my price range, but I think I heard somewhere they run a D60.

bigjeffg

Reaction score
A decent 9" housing (not a junkyard pullout) will cost you $6-9k, not including a 3rd member. Add cost for trimming the tubes to length, welding on spindles and tabbing pivot points and caliper mounts. You'll also need hubs, axles and bearings. Good luck getting it fitted up for factory brakes, ABS/tone rings, spring perches and panhard mounts. It can be done, but as they say, speed is a question of money. How fast do you want to go?

Had the D60 in my 2nd gen 2500 and never had issues pushing 1100 ft/lbs while towing a 15k race trailer. Similar D60 in a short course off road truck with a 4 cylinder would blow a ring gear at least once every race weekend. 9" cured that, but the housing alone (ProAm) was $9k, and that was 2010 dollars.

From a cost and compatibility standpoint, your best bet may be to start combing the interwebs for a take out from a wrecked TRX. They have to be getting as common as wrecked Hellcats. Won't be cheap, but I'd bet it's a fraction of a custom built 9" or D60 and way less trouble to fit up. *Caveat emptor, I don't know squat about the TRX aside from the basics, they're way out of my price range, but I think I heard somewhere they run a D60.
You are correct, the TRX has Dana 60 (aka Spicer M250). TRX axles are too wide, and you can’t change gearing. PM if you are interested in why.

I’m exploring multiple options. One option is to pull the trigger on a custom Ford 9” built for the Ram DT from an Australian company: ARB locker, 3.92 gears including shipping for $11k US (at current exchange rate)

I think I will be able to convert the AAM 9.25 to full float. I’m exploring this option before I go further. This option is looking very promising.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I see a bunch of posts telling you not to. I want to see you do it and post pics through the steps. But yea, I'm that guy. Mods for the sake of doing it. Heck, I regeared a Town Car among multiple other mods just because I could. 😎

bigjeffg

Reaction score
I see a bunch of posts telling you not to. I want to see you do it and post pics through the steps. But yea, I'm that guy. Mods for the sake of doing it. Heck, I regeared a Town Car among multiple other mods just because I could. 😎
Thanks!!!

I’m going to upgrade. Ram rear axles can’t handle aggressive off road driving. This is a known issue, in the off roading community. I have been off roading with a friend when he broke his axle.

I have a different use case than many on this Forum. I understand the push back. I also know that I modify my vehicles to be optimum for my adventures. I’m not discouraged if others don’t get it. Many do, I’m good with both.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Thanks!!!

I’m going to upgrade. Ram rear axles can’t handle aggressive off road driving. This is a known issue, in the off roading community. I have been off roading with a friend when he broke his axle.

I have a different use case than many on this Forum. I understand the push back. I also know that I modify my vehicles to be optimum for my adventures. I’m not discouraged if others don’t get it. Many do, I’m good with both.
You do know that a Jeep is a far superior vehicle for off road?

Users who are viewing this thread