5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel tank

monza2t

Reaction score
They charge $445 dollars for the bigger tank because it's another option they can make money on. Does it cost them $445, no probably like $25 more in extra plastic.

Yeah but you aren't just paying for the extra material. There is cost to engineer the tank factored in, the tooling to mold that tank, etc. Is it $445 more? oh hell no, but I'd bet its a lot more than $25.

For the record I'm in the "why isn't the 33 gal standard" camp. Its too bad there is essentially no aftermarket options for gassers (emissions regulations since the tank is part of the EVAP system) since lots of people buy a truck with a 23 gal tank.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT, at times it does not get much use so the gas can go stale. I have put it to use just to use up the gas and replace with fresh fuel. Father in law is 95 years old with a 2011 Honda fit with 9,000 miles. I would take it to run out the gas and replace with fresh fuel. I can see down the "road" that I may not be on the road so much.

I don't tow and can get 20 and better mpg on the highway. At 67 years of age I don't mind taking a break from driving.

Local driving (10-13 mpg) does require more frequent fill ups and can be an inconvenience but after the 3 year warranty was up I use other vehicles that I have access to for those chores.

I thought about the 33 gallon tank when ordering but the $445 seemed a little steep and realized where FCA got the thought for calling it "Ram".
Adding gas stabilizer to your tank will keep the gas from going stale for up to two years. A vehicle that gets driven less than 500 miles in two years might need to go to a new home LOL.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Adding gas stabilizer to your tank will keep the gas from going stale for up to two years. A vehicle that gets driven less than 500 miles in two years might need to go to a new home LOL.
Tried the new home, offered $9500 (KBB at time) to avoid any family BS. He hasn't driven it (and shouldn't) in months, inspection expired 2 months ago. Used to try and take care of it but it has become an aggravating situation, there is more to the story but not worth the time.

Even with fuel stabilizer the vehicle needs to be driven. Bought a 1990 Celica for $1500 with 152K on the odometer, insurance was 2K (NYC + son) so it sat for a year or so. Had to redo the brakes do to rust. I've had it for 10 years I believe and it now has 194K.

Want a laugh? Check out the value of a 2011 Honda Fit with 9,000 miles in excellent condition. Market is nuts.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First off, there are three tank sizes, not just two. Why do they offer two tanks with only a 3 gallon size difference? It is definitely worth the $445 to upgrade from the 23 gallon tank to the 33 gallon tank. And I'd opt for the 33 gallon tank in any case. But there are people who want to eek out as much payload capacity as possible, so they opt for a truck with the 23 gallon tank. That's really the only reason I can see for not just equipping all of them with the 33 gallon tank. But perhaps there are other reasons I haven't thought of.

Diesel is heavier (denser) than gasoline. A gallon of diesel weighs approximately 7 pounds. (gas is 6# per gallon)

So, a tank with 10 extra gallons (that is full) would have an extra 70 # of fuel (worst case - if it's a diesel) and a little extra weight for the bigger tank. Call it 80#.

That takes 80# off the payload capacity. Compared to a 26 gallon tank, you're only losing (worst case) 60# or so of payload capacity. If it's gas, 26 vs 33 means about 50# less payload.

To ME, that is so small that it still makes NO sense to keep building trucks with 23 and 26 gallon tanks. They should just make the 33 gallon tank standard and be done with it.

I don't know of a single GOOD reason for having a smaller tank.

monza2t

Reaction score
Want a laugh? Check out the value of a 2011 Honda Fit with 9,000 miles in excellent condition. Market is nuts.

Market is stupid right now. My daughter has a 2014 Civic base model (40k miles), we bought it in 2017 for $10k. Today its worth $16k private party.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Diesel is heavier (denser) than gasoline. A gallon of diesel weighs approximately 7 pounds. (gas is 6# per gallon)

So, a tank with 10 extra gallons (that is full) would have an extra 70 # of fuel (worst case - if it's a diesel) and a little extra weight for the bigger tank. Call it 80#.

That takes 80# off the payload capacity. Compared to a 26 gallon tank, you're only losing (worst case) 60# or so of payload capacity. If it's gas, 26 vs 33 means about 50# less payload.

To ME, that is so small that it still makes NO sense to keep building trucks with 23 and 26 gallon tanks. They should just make the 33 gallon tank standard and be done with it.

I don't know of a single GOOD reason for having a smaller tank.
Haha, I totally agree. If you're that close to your payload limit you need a different truck. But that reason was an argument that another member here gave for making sure his truck had a 23 gallon tank. There's an older thread where he talks about that. And I never said it was a good reason, just the only reason I'd heard up to that point. I've said it many times and I'll say it again, these trucks should all come with 33 gallon tanks.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha, I totally agree. If you're that close to your payload limit you need a different truck. But that reason was an argument that another member here gave for making sure his truck had a 23 gallon tank. There's an older thread where he talks about that. And I never said it was a good reason, just the only reason I'd heard up to that point. I've said it many times and I'll say it again, these trucks should all come with 33 gallon tanks.

If someone ever said "I won't buy a RAM because they only come with a 33 gallon tank and I want one that is smaller" I would say "bye, Felishia! Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out."

LOL! We don't need that kind of negativity around here. :)

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Does it really cost $445 to make the tank 7 gal bigger?
Because some guys think a 33 gallon tank weighs down thier truck so much that they can't pull thier john boat behind it.. They don't understand that they have the option of not filling it up all the way. They believe the only solution is to have a smaller tank.

Just note the reasons in previous posts, I won't use that much gas before it goes bad, it's too much payload. Try not topping off if you only drive to the mailbox and back once a week or if you balance your summer home down to the pound.

Ram caught on and realized that it is way better to have a 33 gallon tank. That means they can upcharge for it knowing people will want the better option.

GoMango16

Reaction score
My "19" Laramie had a 33 gal. tank on it. I liked the range I had on trips, but had to stop and tinkle before it got down to 3/4's of a tank. New Limited has a 26 gal. tank so I will get down to 3/4 of a tank. 7 gal. diff. really is not worth $445 other you get to take more breaks on a trip.🥪🍕🍔🍩

Wire4money

Reaction score
It’s not the weight for payload, but for CAFE standards. Manufacturers are using aluminum panels to lighten their vehicles and improve mpg. A smaller tank will save quite a bit more than an aluminum hood, and is cheaper to produce.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My "19" Laramie had a 33 gal. tank on it. I liked the range I had on trips, but had to stop and tinkle before it got down to 3/4's of a tank. New Limited has a 26 gal. tank so I will get down to 3/4 of a tank. 7 gal. diff. really is not worth $445 other you get to take more breaks on a trip.🥪🍕🍔🍩

Not worth it to you…. Definitely worth it to people who tow heavy stuff longer distances. Definitely worth it to people with more, ahem, robust bladders. I drove 500 miles without stopping 3 times just in the last couple of months.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
It’s not the weight for payload, but for CAFE standards. Manufacturers are using aluminum panels to lighten their vehicles and improve mpg. A smaller tank will save quite a bit more than an aluminum hood, and is cheaper to produce.
Aren't they plastic?

HemiDude

Reaction score
I'm cracking up that this thread has evolved (or devolved) from the OP's question about the price difference, to people lamenting that there are TOO many choices :ROFLMAO:. My last truck had the 26g tank, it wasn't enough for what I use the truck for. I got the 33g with this truck, I feel it is perfect. If this truck belonged to my wife, she would only want or need a 23g. I say, celebrate the amount of options we have before they are whittled down to nothing!

Matrixband

Reaction score
I have had my 2022:Ram 1500 with a 33 gallon tank for about 6 months now. When I let it get pretty empty, like the warning light is on in the red zone, but not absolutely gone, the trip computer says I have like 40 miles left, but it only takes 28 gallons to fill up. How much gas is still I there on an “empty tank”? All gauges are inaccurate to an extent and I don’t really want to find out how far I can go before I get stranded, but if I used 28 gallons then there seems to be 5 gallons unaccounted for, or left in the tank, perhaps on purpose so folks won’t get stranded. There is a bit remaining on the gauge, but does not seem to be 5 seems to be maybe 2. Are there really 33 usable gallons in there? How far down the gauge (digital and analogue) do you let it go?
btw, I love the 33 gallon tank option— fewer trips to Costco.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because of CAFE standards.

All as I understand it, and if I remember correctly:

The tests require the fuel tank to be 1/2 full. (Okay, some would say "half empty." ;) ) When you're eking out 1% or lower efficiencies in order to pass the CAFE standards, which get harder and harder until only a remote-polluter can pass, then you'll say a "standard" fuel tank is 23 gallons (or 26). The extra weight of the 7 or 10 gallon capacity (cut in half for the test) ends up being un-needed ballast.

No sane manufacturer can afford to add a single pound of ballast to their vehicles before they're tested.

That is why the 33 gallon tank is not standard.

Yes, I am envious of my buddy's Tundra with a 39 gallon tank.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm cracking up that this thread has evolved (or devolved) from the OP's question about the price difference, to people lamenting that there are TOO many choices :ROFLMAO:. My last truck had the 26g tank, it wasn't enough for what I use the truck for. I got the 33g with this truck, I feel it is perfect. If this truck belonged to my wife, she would only want or need a 23g. I say, celebrate the amount of options we have before they are whittled down to nothing!

If they were whittled down to only a 33 gallon tank, I would be fine with that! :)

When I was shopping for the truck I bought 2 months ago, it was super aggravating the number of trucks (new and used) that I found that would have been perfect for me, except that they had a smaller tank.

It is great that we choices for different rear ends, and engines, and etc.. But, I think there is no GOOD reason for them to have anything but a 33 gallon tank.

I have had my 2022:Ram 1500 with a 33 gallon tank for about 6 months now. When I let it get pretty empty, like the warning light is on in the red zone, but not absolutely gone, the trip computer says I have like 40 miles left, but it only takes 28 gallons to fill up. How much gas is still I there on an “empty tank”? All gauges are inaccurate to an extent and I don’t really want to find out how far I can go before I get stranded, but if I used 28 gallons then there seems to be 5 gallons unaccounted for, or left in the tank, perhaps on purpose so folks won’t get stranded. There is a bit remaining on the gauge, but does not seem to be 5 seems to be maybe 2. Are there really 33 usable gallons in there? How far down the gauge (digital and analogue) do you let it go?
btw, I love the 33 gallon tank option— fewer trips to Costco.

In the 73K miles I had my '19 with a 33 gallon tank, the most gas I ever put in was 32.2 gallons. I put in 31.something a lot of times. I never ran out. I think there is ROUGHLY 2 gallons of "reserve", after the DTE says 0.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I believe they meant weight with fuel in them.
If the "problem" people have is too much weight from fuel, don't put so much fuel in it. I don't understand the point in "the gasoline weighs too much" argument.

It really makes no sense. It's kind of like saying "I need beer that comes in two ounce cans because I can't fit a whole 12 ounce can in my mouth with a swallow."

Wire4money

Reaction score
If the "problem" people have is too much weight from fuel, don't put so much fuel in it. I don't understand the point in "the gasoline weighs too much" argument.

It really makes no sense. It's kind of like saying "I need beer that comes in two ounce cans because I can't fit a whole 12 ounce can in my mouth with a swallow."
It’s not the end user, it’s the government. To meet CAFE standards, ALL manufacturers are trying to reduce weight.

Wire4money

Reaction score
If they were whittled down to only a 33 gallon tank, I would be fine with that! :)

When I was shopping for the truck I bought 2 months ago, it was super aggravating the number of trucks (new and used) that I found that would have been perfect for me, except that they had a smaller tank.

It is great that we choices for different rear ends, and engines, and etc.. But, I think there is no GOOD reason for them to have anything but a 33 gallon tank.

In the 73K miles I had my '19 with a 33 gallon tank, the most gas I ever put in was 32.2 gallons. I put in 31.something a lot of times. I never ran out. I think there is ROUGHLY 2 gallons of "reserve", after the DTE says 0.
When I bought mine, out of all the Rams at the 4 local dealerships, there was a total of 2 quad cab 4wd hemis with the 33 gallon tank.

Users who are viewing this thread