5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel tank

Kenco037

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the 33gal fuel tank option is $445? You're already getting 26gal. I think it's a bit high for only 7gals more. I wouldn't mind maybe a $100 more.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's an especially useful option for those who have a 23 gallon tank. The 2020 Laramie I used to own had that size tank, and I was always at the gas station. It was the difference between filling up every 3rd day and being able to go the whole work week between fill-ups when I upgraded to a truck with a 33 gallon tank.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's the difference in cost to just make the tank size standard at 33 gal?
you aren't paying the difference in size, your paying for a complete new tank. $445 for a 33 gallon tank is peanuts. your paying easily over $2000 or more if you do it later on.

Kenco037

Reaction score
you aren't paying the difference in size, your paying for a complete new tank. $445 for a 33 gallon tank is peanuts. your paying easily over $2000 or more if you do it later on.
What I'm saying is...you're already getting a fuel tank. Why not just make 1 size, 33gallon, like alot of people option for, and call it a day. Why offer 2 tanks with only a 7 gal size difference? Just offer the 33

RedFred

Reaction score
Does it really cost $445 to make the tank 7 gal bigger?

It probably costs them a few cents difference to manufacture the larger gas tank. That being said, imo it's well worth the $445 to upgrade to the larger 33 gallon tank. And yes, I wish the 1500 came standard with the larger tank to begin with.

Reaction score
Not to mention a bigger fuel pick up/sender (electronics) , Extra hanger/support(s)/hardware? More material with a bigger mold. Sounds like a cheap upgrade to me. Plus you're REPLACING or better yet optioning up which eliminates the 23 gallon tank that's already in there, that costs something but seeing it's standard you'll never know what the actual cost of it is. Now what if the 23 gallon tank was $400 , then $45 isn't that much. Without knowing what that standard tank costs you on purchase of the truck, you have no price basis to the adding or subtracting from. You are making the 23 gallon tank sound free.

Why is one egg at your breakfast place .99 but 2 eggs are $2.50?...asking for a friend.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What I'm saying is...you're already getting a fuel tank. Why not just make 1 size, 33gallon, like alot of people option for, and call it a day. Why offer 2 tanks with only a 7 gal size difference? Just offer the 33
First off, there are three tank sizes, not just two. Why do they offer two tanks with only a 3 gallon size difference? It is definitely worth the $445 to upgrade from the 23 gallon tank to the 33 gallon tank. And I'd opt for the 33 gallon tank in any case. But there are people who want to eek out as much payload capacity as possible, so they opt for a truck with the 23 gallon tank. That's really the only reason I can see for not just equipping all of them with the 33 gallon tank. But perhaps there are other reasons I haven't thought of.

Reaction score
Is the 33 gallon tank even available in the Crew Cab with the 5'7" bed? Not alot of room under there.

RedFred

Reaction score
But perhaps there are other reasons I haven't thought of.

Because if they offer you something as an option, they want to be able to profit off it. That's basically the reason imo.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Because if they offer you something as an option, they want to be able to profit off it. That's basically the reason imo.
I meant other reasons someone might not want a 33 gallon tank, not why they offered three sizes.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I meant other reasons someone might not want a 33 gallon tank, not why they offered three sizes.
So people that buy their first Ram off the lot get angry when they realize the tank is so small they will wish they got another truck and trade it in sooner to get a bigger tank?
Better question is why can't I get a 50-55 gallon on my 1500

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So people that buy their first Ram off the lot get angry when they realize the tank is so small they will wish they got another truck and trade it in sooner to get a bigger tank?
Better question is why can't I get a 50-55 gallon on my 1500
You can...but you won't like the space it takes up ;)

(I had a 45-gallon Transfer Flow replacement fuel tank under the bed of an '01 Chevy 2500HD once upon a time. It was awesome, given that I had the 8.1L/Allison drivetrain and 4.10 gears.)

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First off, there are three tank sizes, not just two. Why do they offer two tanks with only a 3 gallon size difference? It is definitely worth the $445 to upgrade from the 23 gallon tank to the 33 gallon tank. And I'd opt for the 33 gallon tank in any case. But there are people who want to eek out as much payload capacity as possible, so they opt for a truck with the 23 gallon tank. That's really the only reason I can see for not just equipping all of them with the 33 gallon tank. But perhaps there are other reasons I haven't thought of.
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT, at times it does not get much use so the gas can go stale. I have put it to use just to use up the gas and replace with fresh fuel. Father in law is 95 years old with a 2011 Honda fit with 9,000 miles. I would take it to run out the gas and replace with fresh fuel. I can see down the "road" that I may not be on the road so much.

I don't tow and can get 20 and better mpg on the highway. At 67 years of age I don't mind taking a break from driving.

Local driving (10-13 mpg) does require more frequent fill ups and can be an inconvenience but after the 3 year warranty was up I use other vehicles that I have access to for those chores.

I thought about the 33 gallon tank when ordering but the $445 seemed a little steep and realized where FCA got the thought for calling it "Ram".

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They charge $445 dollars for the bigger tank because it's another option they can make money on. Does it cost them $445, no probably like $25 more in extra plastic.

Users who are viewing this thread