5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel filter replacement interval-Mopar just changed the owner's manual

daustin

Reaction score
I will have had my truck for two years on November 12, and have 10,172 miles on it. I am taking it in on Monday for its second oil change. As of two days ago, the manual for my truck on the Mopar website stated that the fuel filter needed replaced every other oil change or 20,000 miles unless you live in certain states with dirty fuel; I don't live in the states it mentioned.

I looked at the manual again today via the Mopar website and it now shows that the filter must be changed at every oil change, not to exceed 10,000 miles. It goes on to state "Failure to comply with Oil Change or Fuel Filter Drain and Replacement requirements (every oil change, not to exceed 10,000 miles) will result in premature engine wear. Such wear is not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty"

I am sure this change is in conjunction with the HPFP repair parts becoming available.

Looks like I will be replacing my fuel filter during my oil change on Monday.

1698936852888.png

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Go by whatever is in your manual from 2021 (physical book). They can't change service requirements for your year after it was purchased. The warranty is like an legally bunding contract between you and Ram. They can't change it whenever they want.

MT1979

Reaction score
I will have had my truck for two years on November 12, and have 10,172 miles on it. I am taking it in on Monday for its second oil change. As of two days ago, the manual for my truck on the Mopar website stated that the fuel filter needed replaced every other oil change or 20,000 miles unless you live in certain states with dirty fuel; I don't live in the states it mentioned.

I looked at the manual again today via the Mopar website and it now shows that the filter must be changed at every oil change, not to exceed 10,000 miles. It goes on to state "Failure to comply with Oil Change or Fuel Filter Drain and Replacement requirements (every oil change, not to exceed 10,000 miles) will result in premature engine wear. Such wear is not covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty"

I am sure this change is in conjunction with the HPFP repair parts becoming available.

Looks like I will be replacing my fuel filter during my oil change on Monday.

View attachment 170395
Thank you for the update

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I juat had my fuel filter changed by the dealer. Last time it was an outrageous $160, this time they charged me $222. That's the last time I have it done there.

TampaLaramie

Reaction score
I haven’t changed my fuel filter ever. 33k miles. I’ll open the drain valve and there’s nothing but 2 drops of water. Here in west Florida we have a major port that distributes fuel. I think the quality isn’t bad. Changing the filter is on my list of sh!t to do but it’s not very high. Next oil change in a few thousand miles I’ll get to it.

Oh and $160 is outrageous for a simple carton filter. Idk why anyone is paying dealer labor rates, it’s really simple to change!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I juat had my fuel filter changed by the dealer. Last time it was an outrageous $160, this time they charged me $222. That's the last time I have it done there.
That's criminal. You can do it yourself in literally 5 minutes. Just expect to spill a bit of diesel but other than that it's as easy as can be.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

tom318

Reaction score
The fact they changed that is concerning. Yes, they need to honor the warranty for those who purchased trucks and their manual states every other but still. Ive actaully done it every 15k miles as I changed oil every 7500. Maybe ill go every 10k now. My truck has 88k and so far so good.

For those having dealers do the work, call more than one dealer in your area (if there is more). I must have 6-7 dealers near me. I recently called 3 BMW dealers all with 20miles of each other and the oil change quotes went from $120, $161 and $426!!! Took me less than 15min to do this. These dealers are 1st generation scam artists!

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I will fly to your house, serve you specialty coffee and some snacks, and change your fuel filter while you watch, for just $221.

;)

mrfreon

Reaction score
I change my fuel filter every year just before winter, mainly to make sure there isn't any moisture in the system before the the temperatures drop below freezing. It's super easy to change, just a little messy.

mikeurz60

Reaction score
Changing the fuel filter is super easy. Dealer will just rip you off. Just buy the correct part and it’s a 5 minute job

BNJMN

Reaction score
At my 25K oil change my dealer had never done any filter maintenance, air, cabin, or fuel. I asked for a quote on fuel filter and was told $300 for them to do it. Doing that and oil change myself going forward. Just had my HPFP done and wasn't told anything about changing fuel filter interval.

Papi4baby

Reaction score
At my 25K oil change my dealer had never done any filter maintenance, air, cabin, or fuel. I asked for a quote on fuel filter and was told $300 for them to do it. Doing that and oil change myself going forward. Just had my HPFP done and wasn't told anything about changing fuel filter interval.
Don’t worry, if your engine fails they will surely remind you on why they don’t want to pay to fix their “engineering”.

Does anyone know how many filters the fuel passes by before it hits the cylinder? I can think of 3, maybe 4 if the fuel tanker delivering the fuel has one as well.

As see this more of FCA trying to avoid paying engine repairs by blaming us for not doing the “required” maintenance.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I change my fuel filter every year just before winter, mainly to make sure there isn't any moisture in the system before the the temperatures drop below freezing. It's super easy to change, just a little messy.
This is a great idea. I changed mine at 15K which happened to line up with the start of winter... now I think I'll stick to that, mainly since I've heard of people breaking the petcock valve used to drain water.

I'd love to know how they're pricing that out... the filter is maybe $100 at MSRP? Labor involved is less than 10 minutes. I guess they want a $150 tip?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd love to know how they're pricing that out... the filter is maybe $100 at MSRP? Labor involved is less than 10 minutes. I guess they want a $150 tip?

Every service department I've dealt with had a 1 hour minimum labor charge with an average labor rate around $125. So, take your vehicle in for a 15 minute job and you will pay $125 in labor. Take it in for a 1 hour job and you will pay $125 in labor. However, they often have specialty rates that may be less for some common tasks like oil changes.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The filter is ridiculously overpriced. It is a pleated filter: nothing more, nothing less. It should cost the same as any half-decent oil filter on the shelf at Advance Auto or NAPA.

The MOPAR pricing is insulting.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Every service department I've dealt with had a 1 hour minimum labor charge with an average labor rate around $125. So, take your vehicle in for a 15 minute job and you will pay $125 in labor. Take it in for a 1 hour job and you will pay $125 in labor. However, they often have specialty rates that may be less for some common tasks like oil changes.
That makes sense, but still isn't right. Service departments bend over ED owners it seems... needlessly overpriced basic services. No reason these can't be done in the Express Lane with a similar profit as a standard oil change.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
In my service world minimum call is 2 hr min, 200/hr plus mileage and travel. o_O
Tom

Users who are viewing this thread