5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel economy with 35 inch tires

pber1

Reaction score
I originally wasn't planning for it when I bought the truck so I didn't care about the gears. I figured a level and 34s would be all I did, but now I am wanting bigger.
Go for it bro you’re gonna love the way it sits outside just waiting for you to hop in! Haha

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Go for it bro you’re gonna love the way it sits outside just waiting for you to hop in! Haha
It is going to happen for sure. Just have a few other mods first, plus don't want to feel like I wasted a grand on the tires I have now. Still going to drop some Katzkin leather in it, add a subwoofer, and get it ceramic coated. I figure if I do it and absolutely hate the way it drives I can always pay to swap out the gears later on down the road, although I know that will be costly with these trucks.

These trucks just look so good with a 6" lift on them. I thought a level or a 4" looked perfect on the 4th gens, but these 5th gens just scream BIGGER.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got 34’s 3.21 and I average 15. I had 35’s on it for about 2 weeks and i could feel the drain on the power. I didn’t like it at all. When they put the 34’s on it felt almost like it did stock.
That big of a difference?

pber1

Reaction score
It is going to happen for sure. Just have a few other mods first, plus don't want to feel like I wasted a grand on the tires I have now. Still going to drop some Katzkin leather in it, add a subwoofer, and get it ceramic coated. I figure if I do it and absolutely hate the way it drives I can always pay to swap out the gears later on down the road, although I know that will be costly with these trucks.

These trucks just look so good with a 6" lift on them. I thought a level or a 4" looked perfect on the 4th gens, but these 5th gens just scream BIGGER.
I feel ya! I wanted a 4in lift but it didn’t happen! Can’t go wrong with the 6in just gotta park a little further and forget about parking garages

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel ya! I wanted a 4in lift but it didn’t happen! Can’t go wrong with the 6in just gotta park a little further and forget about parking garages
I am usually nowhere near a parking garage. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I was thinking a 4" lift and 295/60s for a while but just dont think I can do it after seeing all these 6" lifted trucks. I have a Pulsar too, so that will definitely help from a power standpoint.

pber1

Reaction score
I am usually nowhere near a parking garage. Maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I was thinking a 4" lift and 295/60s for a while but just dont think I can do it after seeing all these 6" lifted trucks. I have a Pulsar too, so that will definitely help from a power standpoint.
You’re good to go! I’m gonna invest in pulsar I feel like I could use a more responsive pedal from time to time

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’re good to go! I’m gonna invest in pulsar I feel like I could use a more responsive pedal from time to time
I like it. You gotta buy it with realistic expectations though. I don't know if it really adds any horsepower or not in performance mode like it claims it does, but it greatly increases throttle response. It's almost like these trucks have a bit of a dead zone with the pedal. The Pulsar takes that away and gives it some pep. It has to do something since you need 91 octane with performance mode, and supposedly there are some dynos by actual users and not the manufacturer that does back their claims. You could probably get about 90% utility of the Pulsar with a Pedal Commander, but the added benefit of being able to select gear ration and tire size is very nice. A couple sites offer discount codes to bring it down to about $450.

pber1

Reaction score
I like it. You gotta buy it with realistic expectations though. I don't know if it really adds any horsepower or not in performance mode like it claims it does, but it greatly increases throttle response. It's almost like these trucks have a bit of a dead zone with the pedal. The Pulsar takes that away and gives it some pep. It has to do something since you need 91 octane with performance mode, and supposedly there are some dynos by actual users and not the manufacturer that does back their claims. You could probably get about 90% utility of the Pulsar with a Pedal Commander, but the added benefit of being able to select gear ration and tire size is very nice. A couple sites offer discount codes to bring it down to about $450.
I saw it a 4WP and I’m considering it for my next mod! I usually pump 91 so I won’t feel the hit as far as fuel price. I’m gonna pull out the Hypertech calibrator and go with pulsar. Maybe Vararam afterwards not sure yet.

TimmyG

Reaction score
Thanks man! Not really but you can feel more it when you’re turning from a complete stop!
I'm assuming you mean the steering feels heavier when turning from a complete stop?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I saw it a 4WP and I’m considering it for my next mod! I usually pump 91 so I won’t feel the hit as far as fuel price. I’m gonna pull out the Hypertech calibrator and go with pulsar. Maybe Vararam afterwards not sure yet.
I've been considering the Vararam. I put in a Green Filter in the stock air box and removed the charcoal pad for now. Curious to see what other intakes come out before making a decision. Also curious if the dealer makes any changes to the computer with the Mopar intake that is coming out to take better advantage of it.

thenrich

Reaction score
3.21 gears on 35x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers combined 15.4 pretty flat by me.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At 65 I can easily get 17 plus with my 35’s. Every 5 mph drops it though. I see Mid 15’s at 75 mph. Back road 55-60 mph is in the low 20’s. I average 15-16 most of the time with a mix of highway and in town driving.

chazerous

Reaction score
I cant figure out how anybody is getting 15+ with 34s/35s! I just bought my truck off the lot, 2019 bighorn with 24 miles, completely stock with etorque and I get 14.5 driving 75% freeways. And I generally drive 60-65. Is there a "break in" period before I start getting better mpg? I just ordered some 285/65r20 which come out to be about 34.6 inches, so I'm guessing I'll be well below 12 after those go on.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I cant figure out how anybody is getting 15+ with 34s/35s! I just bought my truck off the lot, 2019 bighorn with 24 miles, completely stock with etorque and I get 14.5 driving 75% freeways. And I generally drive 60-65. Is there a "break in" period before I start getting better mpg? I just ordered some 285/65r20 which come out to be about 34.6 inches, so I'm guessing I'll be well below 12 after those go on.
I get 11 -12 MPG‘s with a 3.92 running 35’s

Makenlegs

Reaction score
These trucks look great with a level and 35's but most 35's weigh almost double what the stock tires weigh. What types of fuel economy are you guys seeing that are running 35 inch tires and gear ratio?
I have 3:92s and only went up to a 285/55r20 "P-rated" Toyo AT at 40-a tire and I was blown away that I lost 3mpg on the freeway. With the level lift it didn't change at all. It just won't stay in VVT mode with the slightly larger tires and 0-offset wheel. Still fast, still smooth, still quiet...but wow

Users who are viewing this thread