5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Economy numbers posted V6

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the V6 will start to show up on the dealer lots ?

I am getting excited to test out the eTorque which comes standard and not have to pay $2500 premium for the eTorque and Hemi....

Should be soon, the window stickers don’t show up until it is about to ship. For the ones around Detroit, I would guess in a week. They all seem to be bighorn models

4sallypat

Reaction score
I'm with you. My needs don't include towing, so I'm seriously looking forward to a test-drive of the 3.6 L eTorque V6 to see if it might be a contender. The folks over at Motor Trend/Truck Trend had a recent article on their impressions of the 3.6 L eTorque V6:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram...0-big-horn-4x4-v-6-etorque-first-test-review/
Good article.
But I am not certain about the gas mileage on the V6.
MotorTrend says:
REAL MPG, CITY/HWY/COMB: 15.4/19.7/17.1 mpg
That does not coincide with the published figures 19/24/21 - does that mean the testers mashed the accelerator during the test or the engine needs to break in ???

taumaz

Reaction score
Today was my first day with my bighorn 4x4 crew with the pentastar v6 etourque.

This trip was a mix of 60% hwy 40% city with a 20min stretch of very slow traffic.

On the hwy, it seemed to spend longer in 7th gear than it needed too, mabye that will change in time?

The stop start feature really seems to help when your making your way thru busy city driving with a lot of lights.

I feel like if i kept driving it would have continued to decrease, and I am hoping it will get better after break in.

I just traded in a '17 slt crew 4x4 and a similar trip would put me at about 13l/100km so already quite a bit better, and the requirement for only 87 vs 89 helps too.

Fyi i think 11.3 l/100km is like 20.8mpg

Attachments

• 20181103_132412_50.jpg
    20181103_132412_50.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 47

Predfan

Reaction score
Can you describe the v6? Im really waiting till alberta gets some in right now in all of alberta theres only 3 fairly base v6 bighorns. Do you find you miss the hemi? Is it much of a difference in normal driving?

taumaz

Reaction score
I commute on average 240km a day to work now, so i will get some driving time in this week and get back to you.

First impressions is not bad, but you will notice it when passing on hwy. Also it sure doesnt sound the same lol.

If I cant get the hwy average into the 10.xL/100km regularly, then i will be dissipointed. My sole purpose going to v6 was to save fuel cost. And if I did not drive so much I wouldnt even bother.

4sallypat

Reaction score
I test drove a 3.6 base Bighorn 4x2 and found the engine more than able to be great in urban driving.

Since I don't tow and don't haul, for a daily driver, it's a very easy to drive truck.

The only difference I felt compared to the Hemi is the Pentastar has a lighter unsprung weight feeling during the test drive. Guess that's to be expected since the overall weight has reduced on the entire truck and the front axle ?

I am waiting to see if I can fairly optioned Bighorn but 3.6L engines are quite rare at this point...

taumaz

Reaction score
So I have already put 2000km on my truck at this point and have been holding an average of about 11L/100km or 21.5 mpg. That 80/20 hwy/city.

Generally I feel the 3.6 is fine for power in most cases but it simply does not compare to the hemi while passing at highway speeds or hard acceleration on on ramps ect. Around town I have no complaints.

One thing I have noticed is it will downshift into 7th or even 6th gear very easily at highway speeds with any inclines or light acceleration. Witch is expected with the lower powered engine, seems to be working a lot harder on the hwy to maintain cruising speed vs the hemi.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
So I have already put 2000km on my truck at this point and have been holding an average of about 11L/100km or 21.5 mpg. That 80/20 hwy/city.

Generally I feel the 3.6 is fine for power in most cases but it simply does not compare to the hemi while passing at highway speeds or hard acceleration on on ramps ect. Around town I have no complaints.

One thing I have noticed is it will downshift into 7th or even 6th gear very easily at highway speeds with any inclines or light acceleration. Witch is expected with the lower powered engine, seems to be working a lot harder on the hwy to maintain cruising speed vs the hemi.
Can't speak for the fuel economy yet (still on my first tank, ignoring mpg until I hand calc when I fill up tomorrow), but I've noticed the same shifting. I've also noticed it's very hesitant to shift to 8th when cruising on flat ground.

Predfan

Reaction score
I guess the big question is if you could do it again would you pay the extra money for the hemi etorque? have you reset your mpg do you know what you get in strictly city driving?

taumaz

Reaction score
I guess the big question is if you could do it again would you pay the extra money for the hemi etorque? have you reset your mpg do you know what you get in strictly city driving?

If i worked close to home I would get the Hemi. But, I don't regret buying the 3.6L as it is more suitable for my daily commute. I am definetly getting some fuel savings vs the hemi and I am not towing heavy loads.

taumaz

Reaction score
I am not sure of my exact city only mpg, but I would say its decent. I will try to get some numbers over the weekend.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I disagree, and really dont want Ram following Ford's methods. For Ford, they've gone through 3 different small, natrually aspirated V6 base engines in a short time frame (3.7 until 2015, 3.5 from 2015-2017, and now the 3.3 beginning in 2018). And they added the 2.7 ecoboost (on its second iteration) not to mention of course the 3.5 ecoboost (on it's second iteration as well). And, for purely efficiency, Ford switched the entire truck to aluminum in 2015 at a great cost to try and save weight, which comes with nice wavy sheet metal. Oh and co-developed a new 10 speed transmission. I'm sure Ford will have a response soon, but it will act, drive, and sound like a true hybrid or electric vehicle.

What did Ram have to do to surpass them? Add the simple etorque system to both the 3.6 and 5.7. They didn't have to go crazy with switching everything to aluminum. They didn't have to go develop a new transmission. Yet Ram will be able to claim best in class V6 and V8 4x4 gasoline fuel efficiency. Considering the overall effort between each manufacturer I'd say that's a win for Ram.

Meanwhile GM is going to a turbo 4 cylinder for base engine and purchased new DFM cylinder deactivation tech for V8s.

I'm sure Ram will be adding new engines at refresh, but for those who like the 3.6 and 5.7 as they were/are, we still get to enjoy them for the time behing.
Completely agree, I currently own a ‘17 Ford Expedition with the 3.5 Ecco. I like the engine but it sure as heck doesn’t seem to have any more power and definitely doesn’t get better fuel economy than my e-torque Hemi!

lonestar_penta19

Reaction score
Here is the milage on my V6. Very impressed with the 3.55 for towing. I have about 150 miles towing 2k. about 60% hwy , 10% towing and 30% city. Milage.JPG

krakenatwork

Reaction score
[QUOTE=" which comes with nice wavy sheet metal. [/QUOTE]

Why did I immediately think about a Junkers JU-52??? :p

Ju-52-HB-HOT-2017-Photo-Lutz-Blohm-CC-BY-SA-2.0.jpg

On the other hand, LONESTAR_PENTA19's post reassured me, the RAM I ordered has the V6 and 3.55:1 drive ratio and I hoped the fuel efficiency wouldn't suffer too much.

Ryan88

Reaction score
I've got just a hair under 600 miles and averaging right at 20 mpg with a LOT of stop and go traffic. The e-torque has been awesome doing its job to boost city mileage and the stop/starts have been quite seamless. Can't wait to see what it will do on a longer highway run. Motortrend just rated a Tradesmen 4x4 Crew Cab at 20.3/28.5/23.3 combined in a recent issue.

downsjh

Reaction score
My first tank calculation mpg started out rough (19.5), using remote start with family driving in 105° weather. Now that its my daily commute (still above 100°), 50/50 city/highway, I'm averaging 21-22mpg. I'm still < 2000 miles, so I would expect some more improvement.

I didn't see alot of posting of expected mpg before I purchased (18-19mpg) that was positive, I was worried. I've been happy so far with the real world mileage. I'll make to keep my mpg number in Fuelly for future owners. I assume some people are like me, and even though we own a truck, and occasionally tow a travel trailer, we care about the mpg and it is a major driver in our decision to purchase a certain vehicle.

Clean19

Reaction score
23-24 every tank. Probably 5? 6? tanks ( 5,500 miles as of this am ). Put a bed cover on last night, hoping I can creep into the 25.0 marker.

Reaction score
The new AEM totally ruined the driving experience of my 2014 Ecodiesel so it had to go. In an effort to chase good fuel mileage I opted for the pentastar coupled with 3.21 gear set. I didn’t do adequate research and now found I’ve shot myself in the foot. At highway speeds it spends more time in 6/7 gear than 8. BIG MISTAKE!!!! So far 15 city 18 highwy. Big disappointment.

Users who are viewing this thread