5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Economy numbers posted V6

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are the non etorque 2019 Ram Classic numbers. The 2019 5th Gen V6 numbers haven't been posted yet.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Hmm, I wonder what was up with the 27mpg marketing material Ram had a month or two ago. I know someone posted an image of it on the forum, looked like it was in a printed brochure. Swing and a miss by Ram, or putting the cart before the horse?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, I wonder what was up with the 27mpg marketing material Ram had a month or two ago. I know someone posted an image of it on the forum, looked like it was in a printed brochure. Swing and a miss by Ram, or putting the cart before the horse?

I'm thinking that could be for the HFE model we haven't seen yet. I've seen some internal documents that listed up to 27 MPG highway as well. I'm thinking that's probably what we will see out of the HFE but I'm not sure.

Predfan

Reaction score
Im finding these mpg numbers to be slightly dissapointing theyve just played catch up to the ford V6s numbers and with how long it takes for fca to update power trains its not gonna be pretty when ford responds in 1-2 years. Gas prices are only gonna keep going up and mpg are just gonna keep becoming more and more important. They need to stop focusing on the tow rating pissing match when realistically the top end numbers should be towed with 2500s and focus on mpg.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When gas is cheap or consumers have adjusted to a new price level, towing capacity is king. When gas is going up or at levels of perceived increase, MPG and distance between fills ratings are king. In between, interiors, comfort and convenience get touted.

4sallypat

Reaction score
My local dealers keep calling me to get one of their on lot V8 Hemi - but I keep telling them I am waiting on the V6.
The dealers all say the same thing - the V8 is the best selling most popular engine.
I then tell them, I am not going to pay $2500 for the Hemi and eTorque options.
These dealers are persistent!

I'm really hoping the V6 is better at MPG as I am not needing the towing or hauling power.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Im finding these mpg numbers to be slightly dissapointing theyve just played catch up to the ford V6s numbers and with how long it takes for fca to update power trains its not gonna be pretty when ford responds in 1-2 years. Gas prices are only gonna keep going up and mpg are just gonna keep becoming more and more important. They need to stop focusing on the tow rating pissing match when realistically the top end numbers should be towed with 2500s and focus on mpg.

I disagree, and really dont want Ram following Ford's methods. For Ford, they've gone through 3 different small, natrually aspirated V6 base engines in a short time frame (3.7 until 2015, 3.5 from 2015-2017, and now the 3.3 beginning in 2018). And they added the 2.7 ecoboost (on its second iteration) not to mention of course the 3.5 ecoboost (on it's second iteration as well). And, for purely efficiency, Ford switched the entire truck to aluminum in 2015 at a great cost to try and save weight, which comes with nice wavy sheet metal. Oh and co-developed a new 10 speed transmission. I'm sure Ford will have a response soon, but it will act, drive, and sound like a true hybrid or electric vehicle.

What did Ram have to do to surpass them? Add the simple etorque system to both the 3.6 and 5.7. They didn't have to go crazy with switching everything to aluminum. They didn't have to go develop a new transmission. Yet Ram will be able to claim best in class V6 and V8 4x4 gasoline fuel efficiency. Considering the overall effort between each manufacturer I'd say that's a win for Ram.

Meanwhile GM is going to a turbo 4 cylinder for base engine and purchased new DFM cylinder deactivation tech for V8s.

I'm sure Ram will be adding new engines at refresh, but for those who like the 3.6 and 5.7 as they were/are, we still get to enjoy them for the time behing.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly @Rustydodge . I can definitely say a 1500 with a V6 is actually a consideration now. They really are the 318 of the past, I am guessing are pretty reliable as I haven't seen any real complaints. The thing about rhe v6 over the v8 is the 6 is going to get those mileage numbers more often.

@4sallypat you are definitely doing the right thing ignoring those dealers that are trying to get you to get the Hemi.
Good luck with getting your V6

Rustydodge

Reaction score
All i can say is, rely on fuelly.

Current 4th gen 3.6 is averaging around 18. 10% improvement would be close to 20. WIth a lighter truck, the F150 3.3 is currently getting 19. The 2.7 ecoboost is a good option for better torque and similar (18 ish) economy, but i personally woudn't own one.

4th gen ram 5.7s were near the back averaging closer to 15 while the 3.5, 5.0, and GM 5.3 average around 16. The 1 etorque hemi is just under 17. I think the DFM 5.3 and now etorque 5.7 will be at the top now, and close to 17 real world V8 ecomony is pretty good for almost 400 horsepower and over 400 lb-ft.

Last edited:

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes my 2014 Outdoorsman with V6 has averaged 19.5mpg over 30000+ miles so the new Etorque one should be better than that.

4sallypat

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the V6 will start to show up on the dealer lots ?

I am getting excited to test out the eTorque which comes standard and not have to pay $2500 premium for the eTorque and Hemi....

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe you could start a V6 order tracking thread? I don't know anyone doing that and only know of @habu987 ordering a V6.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know when the V6 will start to show up on the dealer lots ?

I am getting excited to test out the eTorque which comes standard and not have to pay $2500 premium for the eTorque and Hemi....

I'm with you. My needs don't include towing, so I'm seriously looking forward to a test-drive of the 3.6 L eTorque V6 to see if it might be a contender. The folks over at Motor Trend/Truck Trend had a recent article on their impressions of the 3.6 L eTorque V6:
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram...0-big-horn-4x4-v-6-etorque-first-test-review/

Users who are viewing this thread