5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Economy numbers posted V6

krakenatwork

Reaction score
The new AEM totally ruined the driving experience of my 2014 Ecodiesel so it had to go. In an effort to chase good fuel mileage I opted for the pentastar coupled with 3.21 gear set. I didn’t do adequate research and now found I’ve shot myself in the foot. At highway speeds it spends more time in 6/7 gear than 8. BIG MISTAKE!!!! So far 15 city 18 highwy. Big disappointment.
Well, FYI I just made a small trip with my truck (see description in my sig.). My city average (in very poor conditions; heavy construction and bumper-to-bumper traffic), I still get 13.6l/100Km (17.3 US MPG or 20.8 UK MPG) on a brand-new truck. The trip I made was a 252Km highway circuit (Charlesbourg to St-Ferdinand and back) which resulted in a fuel consumption of 10.2l/100Km (23.1 US MPG or 27.7 UK MPG). Even though it's not as good as the Canadian govt's published numbers (9,7 l/100Km/24.2 US MPG/29.1 UK MPG hwy and 12.2l/100Km/19.3 US MPG/23.2 UK MPG city), IMHO the highway numbers are quite good.

Also, the numbers should improve as my truck has only run for 2200Km (~1370mi) total.

I drove at the 100KPH speed limit most of the trip (sometimes above, sometimes below as there were a lot of camping trailers slowing the traffic.)

My fuel consumption was computed through fuelly.

While going there I crossed path with a gov't, scale. I learned my truck's weight :LOL: (with about 450lb of people inside and a full gas tank - the scale is in Kg)

Another thing I learned is that a 54" wide mattress fits in the box with the tailgate closed (6'4" box) :cool:

taz2016

Reaction score
First full tank fill up 18.7 MPG. Computer said it was 19.2. This is for a Crew Cab 4wd Bighorn with 3.55 gears. It was mixed driving with quite a bit of highway miles. Not bad but I'm hoping for better when it is broken in better.

rgberg

Reaction score
It seems I may be in the minority here, but I have been pleased with the fuel economy I have been getting out of the V6 (3.21 gear ratio). Here is my trip today from Sacramento to San Jose (California). Filled up with 89 octane and reset the display right before I left. 140 miles averaging 65-70 mph and sat in 40 minutes of traffic, resulting in just over 25mpg highway. I have been seeing ~22mpg when combined with my daily commute. Gotta love the Bay Area.. traffic and high gas prices guaranteed.

Attachments

• IMG_9024.JPG
    IMG_9024.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

jlau76

Reaction score
Well, FYI I just made a small trip with my truck (see description in my sig.). My city average (in very poor conditions; heavy construction and bumper-to-bumper traffic), I still get 13.6l/100Km (17.3 US MPG or 20.8 UK MPG) on a brand-new truck. The trip I made was a 252Km highway circuit (Charlesbourg to St-Ferdinand and back) which resulted in a fuel consumption of 10.2l/100Km (23.1 US MPG or 27.7 UK MPG). Even though it's not as good as the Canadian govt's published numbers (9,7 l/100Km/24.2 US MPG/29.1 UK MPG hwy and 12.2l/100Km/19.3 US MPG/23.2 UK MPG city), IMHO the highway numbers are quite good.

Also, the numbers should improve as my truck has only run for 2200Km (~1370mi) total.

I drove at the 100KPH speed limit most of the trip (sometimes above, sometimes below as there were a lot of camping trailers slowing the traffic.)

My fuel consumption was computed through fuelly.

While going there I crossed path with a gov't, scale. I learned my truck's weight :LOL: (with about 450lb of people inside and a full gas tank - the scale is in Kg)
View attachment 31507

Another thing I learned is that a 54" wide mattress fits in the box with the tailgate closed (6'4" box) :cool:

Hi there,
New here and I am a still learning about the pickup truck lifestyle. This is my first pick up that I ever bought. I got the 3.6 Big Horn with the 3.21.

Is that 2830kg with people in it? The reason for me asking is because I need to go to MTO to change the weight classification down to 3000kg, but I wasn't sure if I should or not.

btw....i am pretty happy with the fuel economy. I am getting around 11.5 L/100 with a mix of city/hwy driving at 50/50. Those numbers are way better than my jeep JKU with the 3.8.

krakenatwork

Reaction score
Hi there,
New here and I am a still learning about the pickup truck lifestyle. This is my first pick up that I ever bought. I got the 3.6 Big Horn with the 3.21.

Is that 2830kg with people in it? The reason for me asking is because I need to go to MTO to change the weight classification down to 3000kg, but I wasn't sure if I should or not.

btw....i am pretty happy with the fuel economy. I am getting around 11.5 L/100 with a mix of city/hwy driving at 50/50. Those numbers are way better than my jeep JKU with the 3.8.

Yep, 2830Kg with about 450lb worth of people aboard and a full tank.

Scrambler

Reaction score
I have a 19' Limited, V6 e torque and 3.21 positive rear end with about 1,300 miles on it. I'm in Wisconsin and do mostly city driving. Averaging 17 mpg in these conditions, and then about 20 mpg on the freeway. Traditionally, I don't tow more than 1,000 lbs so the HEMI ($1,300 option) wasn't even a consideration. Thus far, I really like it and would buy another V6. It has more than enough horses when I stomp on it and what surprised me was how quickly it got up to 90 mph on a country road pass! The tranny has been silky smooth. I'm 62 and the one thing I don't like is the V6 sound as heard inside the cab. That said, as described on this forum by many a poster, I am going to add the sound deadening to the cab behind the rear seats as well as the rear floor area to quiet down the cab. All the Ram owners who have done this describe it as having a whole new truck, or night and day.

Smerberj

Reaction score
Well I just broke 1,000 miles today on my 2020, my dash is telling me I average 20.5, that's 40% city 60% highway. Not bad at all, I fill up every 3 weeks. For comparison my Hummer had to be filled every 7 - 9 days.

Users who are viewing this thread