5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel door latch repair?

Charon

Reaction score
I purchased a used 2019, on the way home 200 miles from the dealer I discovered the latch to the fuel door has been broken off. I have to stick a card underneath it to open it.

Do I have to replace the entire fuel door or is there a way to fix just the latch?

Thank you.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm.... I am wondering what latch you are talking about? If you push it in it just pops back open and it has a spring that holds it in when you close it.

Charon

Reaction score
The bit that goes into the hole is broken off. Pressing on it does nothing.
Sorry for the poor description I had no clue what it's supposed to be since mine is just a hole.
GNUDobp.jpg

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The bit that goes into the hole is broken off. Pressing on it does nothing.
Sorry for the poor description I had no clue what it's supposed to be since mine is just a hole.
GNUDobp.jpg

Ah, ok. I am guessing the dealership should be able to replace it without needing a whole new fuel door.

Charon

Reaction score
I'm 600 Miles from the dealer. I contacted them but I doubt they'll do anything, so I'm hoping I can fix this myself.

RJS

Reaction score
I'm 600 Miles from the dealer. I contacted them but I doubt they'll do anything, so I'm hoping I can fix this myself.
I assume you are closer than 600 miles from a dealer though. It's under warranty, see if a closer dealer will fix it. If not, take the VIN to his parts dept and get the part from them.

Charon

Reaction score
I assume you are closer than 600 miles from a dealer though. It's under warranty, see if a closer dealer will fix it. If not, take the VIN to his parts dept and get the part from them.
They're going to warranty repair something physically broken off?

RJS

Reaction score
They're going to warranty repair something physically broken off?
Who knows but if you dont ask you never know. IAC they know where to get the parts as I said in my reply

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If the truck has fewer than 12,000 miles they should honor the bumper to bumper warrant, over that it’s a crap shoot as to a covered repair.

Call FCA to start a STAR case. Explain what your issue is and they will contact a dealer in your area on your behalf. Won’t hurt to try.

Charon

Reaction score
If the truck has fewer than 12,000 miles they should honor the bumper to bumper warrant, over that it’s a crap shoot as to a covered repair.

Call FCA to start a STAR case. Explain what your issue is and they will contact a dealer in your area on your behalf. Won’t hurt to try.
Oof It's at 17000 miles I'll give it a go.
Looks like repair requires dropping the tank...

Edit: Bumper to bumper is 36,000 miles!

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi Charon,

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you. If you would be interested in an additional layer of support while working with your dealer for this, our team would be more than happy to help. We are just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

Charon

Reaction score
yes it is for a new vehicle, but not sure if it is with you buying it used. if so, great!
Yeah it transfers over (Thank god). I'm looking into getting that warranty extended. This is the newest vehicle I've ever owned. I'm used to doing everything myself.

I took it to my local dealer today, they ordered the part. Corporate Ram quality assurance wanted to talk to me about it but I didn't have any info for them. They said they've been getting a lot of these and they're trying to figure out what's causing it. The service guy suggested it might be getting recalled.

Local dealer was great, even gave me a free car wash. I'm back to being extremely happy with my purchase and just thinking the dealer I got it from was a POS.
They refueled the truck before I left. There's no way they didn't know.

Charon

Reaction score
Got it fixed today. Took them 15 minutes so they definitely didn't have to drop the tank. I read they had to on a post here with the same issue.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got it fixed today. Took them 15 minutes so they definitely didn't have to drop the tank. I read they had to on a post here with the same issue.

Thank you for following up to share the good news, Charon! If you are in need of any additional assistance with your truck, our team is always just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

gunderson99

Reaction score
Hey Charon - I realize this is an older post, but I have the same issue. Do you have a part number or anything I could use to fix mine? Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/