5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frustration with road noise as well as back windows.

Nick814

Reaction score
First off. Love the truck. However i notice when im going down the freeway, i find myself looking at the passenger back door like its not fully closed or the window is open. I hear wind/road noise and its annoying. I have installed the strip between bed and cab. Doesnt matter if recirculation is on or off. I checked all the weather stripping around the door. Everything seems fine and door closes like the rest. Which leads me to always feeling like when i close the back doors, they arent tight and feel cheap. And i cant have the windows half way down otherwise they seem to flop around side to side. Most of this is just feeling like it needs to be thought out better. But the wind and road noise is annoying. Anyone else??

Skud

Reaction score
Yes, I feel this way exactly. In fact, what you said is almost word-for-word what I’ve told the service department.

It especially frustrates me because I feel that the interior NHV (noise, harshness, vibrations) is greatly increased over the 2015 Limited which I traded in.

They gave me a 2019 1500 Classic base model loaner while they look at a few things and this thing is significantly quieter when driving down the road. Even going over bumps it feels solid vs the “boomy” bumps and road noise of my 2019 “redesigned” Limited.

wvinson

Reaction score
My Limited does the same thing although I haven't tried the bed to cab seal. Like you said, when you close the doors, it doesn't sound tight and makes this clunking sound. I have noticed there's a flap on both passenger and driver side rear cab that opens and closes when you close the door. I don't know if my '17 had this or not. I never looked.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
First off. Love the truck. However i notice when im going down the freeway, i find myself looking at the passenger back door like its not fully closed or the window is open. I hear wind/road noise and its annoying. I have installed the strip between bed and cab. Doesnt matter if recirculation is on or off. I checked all the weather stripping around the door. Everything seems fine and door closes like the rest. Which leads me to always feeling like when i close the back doors, they arent tight and feel cheap. And i cant have the windows half way down otherwise they seem to flop around side to side. Most of this is just feeling like it needs to be thought out better. But the wind and road noise is annoying. Anyone else??
Yes, I feel this way exactly. In fact, what you said is almost word-for-word what I’ve told the service department.

It especially frustrates me because I feel that the interior NHV (noise, harshness, vibrations) is greatly increased over the 2015 Limited which I traded in.

They gave me a 2019 1500 Classic base model loaner while they look at a few things and this thing is significantly quieter when driving down the road. Even going over bumps it feels solid vs the “boomy” bumps and road noise of my 2019 “redesigned” Limited.
My Limited does the same thing although I haven't tried the bed to cab seal. Like you said, when you close the doors, it doesn't sound tight and makes this clunking sound. I have noticed there's a flap on both passenger and driver side rear cab that opens and closes when you close the door. I don't know if my '17 had this or not. I never looked.

Hi all,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you plan to address this with your dealers, please know that we would be more than happy to have your concerns documented and provide you with an additional layer of support for the process. Our team is just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, your previous Ram had the rear cab vents. They've been on trucks for some time now.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram DT 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, 18 inch wheels. Build date: 17 April 2018. Now at 025008 miles.

wvinson

Reaction score
Hi all,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you plan to address this with your dealers, please know that we would be more than happy to have your concerns documented and provide you with an additional layer of support for the process. Our team is just a private message away.

Mark
RamCares
Thanks Mark,
I'm going to take it to the dealer in a month or two when I'm not busy with work. I can't be without it for now.
I appreciate your help.

Skud

Reaction score
Hi all,

Mark
RamCares
Hi Mark,

I sent you a message.

Thanks!!
Riley

RamCares

Reaction score
Thanks Mark,
I'm going to take it to the dealer in a month or two when I'm not busy with work. I can't be without it for now.
I appreciate your help.

Thank you for your follow-up, wvinson. Your sentiments are completely understandable. When the time comes, I would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf for additional support as you work with your dealer.

Hi Mark,

I sent you a message.

Thanks!!
Riley

Thank you for doing so, Riley! I have just responded, please take a moment to review my message and follow up with me there when you can.

Mark
RamCares

Maconi

Reaction score

The air noise can also be caused by misaligned doors (causing the door gasket not to seal properly). You have to loosen the door hinge bolts and adjust the door until you get a complete seal. Obviously the dealer should be handling that but you can do it if you feel up to it.

ny2az

Reaction score
l have a 2020 limited w/ the factory 22" wheels ... 285/45R22 ... it was amazingly quite ... loved it ... no road or wind noise of any kind ... dead silence... did the front level and still as quite as it was previously ... put on aftermarket wheels and "bamm" .... l find myself looking over my shoulder trying to isolate where the exterior road noise is coming from ... obviously these tires do produce noise ... sounds like its coming from either the rear cab wall under the rear window or right rear door ... all started after the installation of aftermarket wheels 22 x 10 w/ 33 x 12.5 tires ... l believe the noise is coming in from a combination of both the rear door vents and the rear cab wall vents ... on the rear wall there are 2 based on pics posted by forum members when doing sound deadening or sub installs ... thinking on trying to seal these and see if this helps any ...

20Ram350020

Reaction score
I have the same issue took it to the dealership. they Replaced the rear glass twice when that didn’t fix it they ran a bead of ****ing around the outside seem of the rear window when that didn’t fix it they told my fca case manager to take it to a different dealership cause they had to many man hours into it and still had no idea what it was.

wright4thepow

Reaction score
Old post, but curious if any of you would update with any fixes/solutions. I recently bought a 2019 longhorn and the road noise coming from the rear passenger door is starting to drive me nuts. It sounds like it's not shut all the way. The alignment of the door from the outside seems fine. Don't know. But it's significantly worse road noise than my 2013 Laramie had. And the doors seem to latch sh*tty to me.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hey there!

Have you taken this in to your dealer for diagnosis and repair? We'd love to get you some help with this. If you're interested, please send us a direct message!

Callie
Ram Cares

Str8_Lurkin

Reaction score
Same issue on my 21'. Wife thought I was crazy but you guys proved otherwise.

Did anyone get this resolved?

wright4thepow

Reaction score
Same issue on my 21'. Wife thought I was crazy but you guys proved otherwise.

Did anyone get this resolved?
I wouldn't say resolved. My front passenger door wasn't latching quite right and after adjusting the latch to make it seal tighter, has lessened the road noise I was having. There is still substantial sound still coming from the back and many have discussed it being the vents in the back wall. Search the forums for some people's solutions. I am gonna wait for summer to attempt anything like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/